SQA: Good or bad?

52 replies to this topic

Poll: SQA Good or Bad? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

SQA Good or Bad?

1. Good (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

2. Bad (15 votes [57.69%])

Percentage of vote: 57.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

Is it against the law for schools to photocopy the original past papers? I wouldn't have thought so! Certainly photocopying them from the leckie and leckie book would be!

I think the SQA do a fairly good job. The past papers have always been a money spinner. Even Gibson used to sell the papers and then want you to buy another book for the answers.
Leckie and Leckie do provide answers with all past papers, although they went up by a £1 this year, with the only addition being the jazzed up front cover (who cares about this?)

I agree that not all people can afford past papers - but your school should provide past papers anyway, the only reason I usually buy the past papers is :-
1. I get the condensed "official answers"
2. I always have the papers to hand (some dept's take them back in etc)

The reason why the SQA charge so much to provide single papers is because they have to store the papers, then their are postage and admin costs on top.
(Buying the maths past papers book direct from L & L cost my friend £9)!!!!

I don't agree with the idea of confidential marking schemes, I think that is nonsense!

However, there are generally little mistakes in the papers, and most of these get corrected.
BTW steve what was the mistake in last years Higher Physics?

Mark

#22 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:22 PM

It is illegal for schools to copy the original paper.

The answers in the past paper are not official. They are produced by leckie and leckie. They do not reflest the marking scheme. - This is what Alistair Wylie from the SQA has told me.

The SQA could quite easily set up an online store - pupils could pay for the past papers and download them in PDF format.

The fact that they need to be corrected - the paper is apparently checked before it goes to print. Mistakes get through every year and they are frequent. Even if they are noticed - why weren't they noticed before the paper went to print?
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#23 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Shandogg @ May 26 2004, 08:47 PM)
many other schools as well - are very strict when it comes to the copyright law. Many schools abide by the law and do not issue past papers.

Hey!

This is slightly off topic but as Shandogg says, most schools do respect the copyright laws. Its seems the SQA do not. The Standard Grade Credit Biology exam this year consisted of diagrams lifted straight from my (soon to be) Biology teachers copyrighted textbook. Needless to say, he's in contact with the publishers to see whether they had permission. There's another (fairly large) strike against the SQA.

Laura xxx

#24 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

The answers are the same, except condensed!

Contrast the Computing ones from L&L and the "finalised marking instructions" from the SQA they are the same! They are the "official" answers.
Mark

#25 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:26 PM

Going back to the topic of those poorer than ourselves. My school consists of loads of people who are quite poor (but not on benefits) and still a lot of people who do only survive on benefits. The school is big and doesnt have the budget to provide past papers for all these people. They make us pay £5 for one subject papers from them which, although less than leckie and leckie, is still unfortunately out of some peoples reach. For instance I know twins whose mum and dad have split up and barely have money to keep living in the seperate houses they live in at the moment and they get benefits to keep their house not to spend £50 or £60 in past papers in one year!

Also SQA good or bad. Both. They have major bad issues and minor bad issues, as previously detailed. However, could we guarentee that another company would do any better?
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#26 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:47 AM

We can't.
user posted image
user posted image

#27 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

We cant guarantee a better company, but considering the SQAs poor performance, isnt another company one of the solutions.

Finding another company would be worth a try as theres nothing much good to say about the SQA, in my mind anyway.

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#28 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

I've got an idea of a new company - SHIT - Scottish Highers and Intermediate Tests - it's got a good ring to it tongue.gif

Note to Moderators - please do not edit.
user posted image
user posted image

#29 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

lol laugh.gif

#30 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

here is the situation at my school. People how are in a family with an income less than £30,000 or so get a burseriey(wrong spelling but can't think) and everyone i can think of wastes it away in booze and other rubbish so you can't say that they don't have enough money. Surprisingly most still buy past papers

The problem with the real marking scheme is that it shows what dodgey answers can be accepted to rise numbers passing and also what reasonable answers won't be allowed if the papers might have been easy. Also it will show what will be accepted in question that had mistakes

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#31 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:04 PM

Ok Dave so some people waste their money but some people dont as its all they have. Also yes the point I was trying to make is that we cant guarentee anyon else would do any better and as there isnt another company to try then we must put up with the SQA but try to change them.

#32 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

Dave,

That's very arrogant. You assume people are not rational.
£30,000 per household is actually a high figure. £15,000 per household is not.

Every little helps. A well known slogan. But yes, every little does help. Lots of small things equal something big.

Watching the pennies.

#33 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

Look at it this way - the L+L marking scheme doesn't list every possible answer - so in effect people could be thinking they're getting it wrong cos their response isnt 'right' in the marking scheme.
user posted image
user posted image

#34 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:31 AM

i cant remember where the post is but didnt someone from the forum write to Watchdog about the SQA to see what the reply was. I was just wondering what was the reply??? Maybe the CBBC programme "Short Change" would have a bigger chance of investigating the problem because Watchdog normally investigate washing machines and builders.... hmmm
if barbie was so popular then why do u have to buy her friends

#35 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

I can see it now -

Thursday night on BBC One - "Brassed Off Britain" exposes the exam boards that really p*** you off.  Call 0870 010 7070 to register your vote for the exam board that you hate the most.  You make what it is.

One can only dream...

user posted image
user posted image

#36 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

It was me who suggested writing to watchdog - but, i never did. that was up for discussion.

i think we should. maybe short change would be an even better idea - perhaps even both.

#37 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

No no no. Short change would suggest we (and not the schools) are paying so not that. Watchdog is what it says, a watchdog- thats the one to right to if you really must right to someone. Person I think going to the TV programs is a bad bad idea, especially if you havent given the SQA time to fix themselves

#38 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

Who says that in time the SQA will fix themselves? It might happen, but I would put money on it that it won't.

Laura xxx

#39 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:48 PM

Ok Ok but at least send them the letter before sending Watchdog one.

#40 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 29 2004, 08:48 PM)
Ok Ok but at least send them the letter before sending Watchdog one.

Ok, that sounds like a plan!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users