Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - HSN forum

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

33 replies to this topic

#1 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

I saw it today at the Imax and was slightly dissapointed. Major parts of the original film was missed out sad.gif Oh well, I guess remakes can't usually compare.

However, Johnny Depp wasn't half bad looking wink.gif

Overall Rating : 6/10
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#2 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

I think my mum's going to take me to see it when I'm feeling better. She's trying to bribe me into being well again.

Works for me.

I love the book. I might go read it again actually.

I hated the original film, but I think I just hated it because I didn't actually see it till I was 16 and everyone was like, "Ooh, it's great!" and I thought, "I will not like this, I will NOT like this." The same happened with Grease.

#3 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

I'm going to go and see in on Wednesday. I love the original and i can't see the new one being anywhere near as good. Apparently this one is alot closer to the book than the original and a much darker theme.

There was an interview with the last remaining oompa loompa in the metro the other day. That's just a by the way..tongue.gif It's weird cause well the films so old that half the people in it are dead.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#4 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:06 PM

You're right , the film does have a much more darker theme. The book also portrays Wonka as really weird and freaky - well this film captures that well.

However key parts of the story are missed out sad.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

I know people who are going to see it. 18 year old girls as well.

I thought to myself why would big girls want to go see a childrens film, then it struck me, its the Mr Depp again

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 31 2005, 03:59 PM)
I know people who are going to see it. 18 year old girls as well.

I thought to myself why would big girls want to go see a childrens film, then it struck me, its the Mr Depp again

View Post

im an 18 year old girl and yes, im going to see it tonight for purely that reason biggrin.gif
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#7 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jul 30 2005, 07:04 PM)
I saw it today at the Imax

View Post

Would you say it was worth it going to the IMAX rather than a "normal" cinema?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#8 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

Definately. The screen is huge - 60 feet tall. Obviously I recommend not sitting at the front as it would hurt your neck. The surround sound is brilliant, so much so that you can feel it travelling through your seat tongue.gif

The picture quality is also really good too, and gives the 3D effect. The staff also make an announcement that if you feel somewhat disorientated then you should look down at your feet to let the sensation pass, hehe.

#9 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

ok.. i need to go see this film.

#10 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jul 31 2005, 05:53 PM)
Definately. The screen is huge - 60 feet tall. Obviously I recommend not sitting at the front as it would hurt your neck. The surround sound is brilliant, so much so that you can feel it travelling through your seat tongue.gif

The picture quality is also really good too, and gives the 3D effect. The staff also make an announcement that if you feel somewhat disorientated then you should look down at your feet to let the sensation pass, hehe.

View Post

Thanks, my friend who for some reasons unknown to me seems to like Mr Depp rather a lot, so have been persuaded to go. I was just wondering whether to go to the UGC or IMAX.

So how much does a ticket at the IMAX cost?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#11 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:02 PM

Well...I happen to look fairly young for my age tongue.gif so the cheapskate here got the child's ticket for £5.95 (i think) but the normal price is roughly £9.95 or something along those lines. Don't quote me on it. It's a bit pricey but if you're into special effects then you wont be dissapointed.

#12 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

Oooooooo......Johnny Depp.*must go see film*

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#13 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

this has to be the best film iv seen all year! its really really good and even though there are alot of different bits from the book and the last film it just makes it even better!

#14 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

Noooooooooo how can you think that tongue.gif Did you not notice that the best parts from the original were not even included! Scandal I say! dry.gif

#15 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

like wot bits? I liked the ending but gutted that they will not now make a charlie and the great glass elevator!

#16 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:14 PM

The part where the spy tries to get charlie to steal the everlasting gobstopper isn't in it...and also the main part where charlie and his grandad are in the big wind machine - then they have the whole big fall out with wonka himself. They changed the ending completely sad.gif

#17 Katrina

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

yeah I wish they had put in the bit about the gobstopper but actually liked it how we got to know more about wonka's past and suppose the ending fitted with that, plus the ending did wot the gobstopper did it showed charlies loyalty etc

#18 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

Shhhhh don't give too much away! tongue.gif

#19 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:03 PM

I don't think Jonny Depps hot atall. He looks especially creepy in the parts of this film i've seen.

I saw a thing about the making of the film, looks good. My friend went to see it today and really enjoyed it smile.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#20 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

i might be going to see this tonight cos it was the little sisters birthday yesterday. hmm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users