Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Highers - HSN forum

Highers

24 replies to this topic

#1 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Is it possible to get a B in a higher with a 2 for the subject at s.grade?

Panicking! sad.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

Course it is. I know people who have have 2's in the subjects at S.G and have gone on to get an A (band 1 ) in the subject. smile.gif

In the end, it's all done to hard work really.

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

yeah come Augest you haev a fresh start to your subjects. So you will be deciding what you get next year from how you work now not how you worked in an exam then

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:49 PM

Put in some work over the holidays and you can get an A.

#5 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

oh yeah definetly well i got a 2 in chemistry and a 2 in english(not a very good one either) and i got the a high B in both of the prelims and im expected to get an A in the exam for chemistry

#6 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

i got a 2 in english at standard grade, & got a B in the higher. one of my friends got a 2 at standard grade & got an A in higher, so it is do-able!

if a person can do a crash higher in a subject & get an A or a B, it should be possible for someone who's done the subject before to get the same, provided you put the work into it
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jul 28 2005, 06:29 PM)

Panicking! sad.gif

View Post

Oh yeh it is. Not that I would know as I got 1s in everything, but lots of my friends got twos in things ranging from Drama and English to Maths and the Sciences and many of them who put in the work got As at Higher.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#8 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

I got a 2 in English last year. I'm confident of an A tomorrow morning smile.gif

#9 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(stevon @ Aug 8 2005, 10:47 AM)
I got a 2 in English last year.  I'm confident of an A tomorrow morning smile.gif

View Post

Seconded and quoted for emphasis.

#10 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jul 28 2005, 07:29 PM)

Panicking! sad.gif

View Post

im sure its possible. infact, im sure it happens to the majority.

#11 Vickram

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:18 PM

[quote=Allana,Jul 28 2005, 06:29 PM]
Is it possible to get a B in a higher with a 2 for the subject at s.grade
Yeh I got a bottom 2 at Maths at STanderd Grade adn got an A in my higher and I ma the only person sitting in the Advanced Higher class who didnt have a 1 at Standerd Grade, so of course you can do that.
Good luck
Vicky

#12 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Vickram @ Aug 11 2005, 01:18 PM)
Is it possible to get a B in a higher with a 2 for the subject at s.grade
  Yeh I got a bottom 2 at Maths at STanderd Grade adn got an A in my higher and I ma the only person sitting in the Advanced Higher class who didnt have a 1 at Standerd Grade, so of course you can do that.
  Good luck
  Vicky

View Post

Thanks for the advice biggrin.gif I got 8 ones anyway, i was just really paranoid.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#13 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Well, I got a 2 for Geography and in Higher I got a B.

I got a 2 for Accounting and in Higher got a C
I got a 2 for English and in Higher got No Award.

Typically subjects that I got 1's in are the subjects I got better Higher grades in.

#14 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Well, I got a low 2 in my Standard Grade English exam and ended up with a band 1 A in Higher English. So I guess it just varies...

#15 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

I got a 2 for Maths and ended up with an A in it at higher lol (1st time i got D though)
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#16 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

It works the other way round aswell i know someone who got a straight 1 last year in maths and got a no award this year in higher, so i suppose it just depends on how much work you put in

#17 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

To answer the original query from a totally personal point of view...

It is possible to take that jump. I got a 2 for SG English and went onto get a B for it. And probably on a different day I could have got an A for it.

It's all really about hard work. If the work ethic's there, anything's achievable!
Mark

#18 Vickram

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

I think it just depends on how hard you work. I really worked harder this year and it did show. Its not to late to turn things around at Higher, just dont leave it too late into the course.
Well Done everyone with the results, everone in the forum did really well. biggrin.gif
Vicky

#19 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

can i ask y you think it wouldnt be possible!?

heres example of me:

2 for SG Maths, B at Higher, A at Advanced Higher
2 for SG Art, A for Higher, C at Advanced Higher
2 for SG English, B for Higher
never done Accountng and Finance at SG, yet got an A for Higher

BUT, I got a 1 for SG Physics and only ended up with a B for Higher

it all depends on the difficulty of the exam in that specific year, anything can happen...no matter wot u get for SG....as my experience prooves!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#20 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Aug 11 2005, 11:12 PM)
BUT, I got a 1 for SG Physics and only ended up with a B for Higher

View Post

I got a 1 for SG English, Maths, and Art & Design and followed them all up with Cs at Higher! rolleyes.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users