Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The Football Thread - HSN forum - Page 5

The Football Thread

1093 replies to this topic

#81 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Austria 2 - 2 Scotland (2 late goals for Austria)

Denmark 4 - 1 England (!)
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#82 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Rab Douglas. Oh dear.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#83 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

at least it was a friendly wink.gif

#84 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

He is a complete and utter liability. One of those goals was an absolute howler. Just a bad day in the office perhaps, but they seem to be a common theme with him. Craig Gordon looked decent enough.

Positive vibes coming from the team as a whole though. There is obviously alot more confidence in the team. I feel Kenny Miller will in particular benefit confidence wise from his goal tonight. I'm not expecting Smith to work wonders with the team, but we were pretty much turning into a laughing stock under Vogts and i'm sure he will revert this and basically restore pride.

Can't believe the greatness that is Dougie Donnelly ended by saying "hasta la vista baby". Dearie me.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#85 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Aug 17 2005, 10:05 PM)
He is a complete and utter liability. One of those goals was an absolute howler. Just a bad day in the office perhaps, but they seem to be a common theme with him. Craig Gordon looked decent enough.

Positive vibes coming from the team as a whole though. There is obviously alot more confidence in the team. I feel Kenny Miller will in particular benefit confidence wise from his goal tonight. I'm not expecting Smith to work wonders with the team, but we were pretty much turning into a laughing stock under Vogts and i'm sure he will revert this and basically restore pride.

Can't believe the greatness that is Dougie Donnelly ended by saying "hasta la vista baby". Dearie me.

View Post

What she said. smile.gif

Apart from Miller, he's still crap and shouldn't get anywhere near a Scotland jersey. tongue.gif wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#86 Pooch

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Flying

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

The brickie is a complete joke of a keeper. Anyone see his debut for Leicster? laugh.gif

#87 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Pooch @ Aug 18 2005, 05:15 PM)
The brickie is a complete joke of a keeper. Anyone see his debut for Leicster? laugh.gif

View Post

Agreed. He shouldn't see a cap again. Gordon should be no.1, with Marshall (bit clumsy) or Brown from Caley as backup. wink.gif

IPB Image

#88 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

btw while we're talking about the footie last night...Clicky

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

IPB Image

#89 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

Gordon is the worst keeper Scotland have. Iain Turner is the best option, in a couple of years he'll be our saviour so to speak. Riordan and O'Conner are a good pairing with Ferguson Fletcher and Quashie in midfield, scotland shouldnt be drawing to teams like Austria.
As for England? They'll win the world cup if their team can play to their potential.
Cole is the best left back in the world, neville is probably in the top 3right backs. The centre halves speak for themselves.
A midfiled of gerrard and lampard - best in the world without question
If beckham can play his best theres nobody better on the wing and with rooney, quite possibly the best young player in the world, and owen theyre unstoppable.

#90 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:52 PM

scotland shouldnt be drawing to teams like Austria.

are you sure bout that one? Maybe 6/7 years ago but Scotland have become a hopeless side in the last few years.

#91 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

Yes they have become a hopeless side but what Im saying is with their individual talent, they should beat teams like them.
Ferguson, fletcher, riordan? all capable of playing at the highest level. Who have Austria got???
The problem with scotland is that we dont play as well as a team than our individual talent suggests. Probably the same problem that england have to be honest who i feel have never under eriksonn reached their potential.

#92 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

Cole is the best left back in the world, neville is probably in the top 3right backs. The centre halves speak for themselves.
A midfiled of gerrard and lampard - best in the world without question
If beckham can play his best theres nobody better on the wing and with rooney, quite possibly the best young player in the world, and owen theyre unstoppable.

true. They have amazing potential. Beckham needs to be either dropped or have his captains armband taken off him. He is a great player on paper, but for England he plays rubbish. They need someone like Wright Phillips instead. I do however understand the influence he brings on to the pitch

#93 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:55 PM

Who have Austria got???

You are only saying that because you know little of the country wink.gif

#94 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:58 PM

At the moment Wright Phillips should be playing instead of Beckham.
However I would go as far as saying that if I could have david beckahm at his prime(probably around 98/99) I wouldnt swap him for any other player not even zidane, ronaldinho or rooney.
True he has no fancy ronaldo tricks but what he did do was guarnatee service to the forwards every single time. Thats the critical factor, the quality of the ball was 100% EVERY single time. Whenevr ronaldo runs down the wing, sure he excites the crowd, beats a few players only to hit a poor cross.
At the end of the day goals win you games, not skills. And Beckham created more goals than anybody else Ive ever seen on a football pitch.

#95 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Aug 18 2005, 09:55 PM)
Who have Austria got???

You are only saying that because you know little of the country wink.gif

View Post

Being of German descent I know a lot about their country.

My point is that while scotland has premiership, even champions league, quality. Who do Austria have? Who do Belarus have? and Estonia?
(with the exception of Hleb)

Scotland should be easily beating these sides.

#96 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

My point is that while scotland has premiership, even champions league, quality. Who do Austria have? Who do Belarus have? and Estonia?
(with the exception of Hleb)

yes, but you are talking about Rangers and Celtic who barely have any Scots playing for them. Most Scottish players come from weaker Scottish and English teams

#97 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

Most scottish players come from the english premiership.

While players like Dickov and Ferguson and Quashie and Fletcher and so on are playing against the likes of Henry, Rooney, Robben and of course Gerrard tongue.gif the austrian lads are playing against people who train 2times a week and work as a waiter to feed their family.

#98 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Steven_Gerrard @ Aug 18 2005, 11:05 PM)
Most scottish players come from the english premiership.

While players like Dickov and Ferguson and Quashie and Fletcher and so on are playing against the likes of Henry, Rooney, Robben and of course Gerrard tongue.gif

View Post

lots of scottish players don't always get first team football at their clubs. There are even some scots in the championship and stuff

the austrian lads are playing against people who train 2times a week and work as a waiter to feed their family.

They are not a third world country gerrard. They play with the likes of Rapid Vienna, Austria Vienna, Sturm Graz and Grazer AK who are not bad.

#99 Steven_Gerrard

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

Are they as good as our scottish players? Apart from Cerny name me one decent asutrain player in the last 50years?
Scotland have world class quality i.e Ferguson, Fletcher, Riordan, Turner and hey we even have a 7year old kid being persued by Real F-ing Madrid.
What Im saying is were better than we think. Man for man we should be beating these teams but we dont. The problem doesnt lie in the quality of our players, it lies in the quality of our play

#100 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

Are they as good as our scottish players? Apart from Cerny name me one decent asutrain player in the last 50years?

This is a bit biased because I live in Scotland and I don't know much about Austrian football. Plus, why look at the past when we are talking about the present?

Scotland have world class quality i.e Ferguson, Fletcher, Riordan, Turner and hey we even have a 7year old kid being persued by Real F-ing Madrid.

I don't know I would go as far and call them world class, but yeah they are good

What Im saying is were better than we think. Man for man we should be beating these teams but we dont. The problem doesnt lie in the quality of our players, it lies in the quality of our play

To be honest, I am not trying to say that Austria has more (or less) potential. I was just questioning the fact that you assummed Austrian players have little potential based on the size of their leagues and stuff. Perhaps the fact that Austria are about 10 places ahead of us in the World Ranking's says something other than just great teamwork. Who knows?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users