Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Preparing for University - HSN forum - Page 3

Preparing for University

77 replies to this topic

#41 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Jul 30 2005, 06:09 PM)
i'm also an ebay addict - as if i didn't already have enough bags, its just enocoraging me to buy more!

& laptops = best thing ever. i'd be lost without mine now - how sad is that!!

View Post

I almost bid on a pair of shoes the other day but they weren't even my size. They were so nice, though.

Then I realised second hand shoes are a bit ew.

I got a Busted DVD for £2. Bargain!

And I was bidding on a McFly album sampler. My highest bid was £40, but I didn't really want it, I was just wanting the person I was bidding against to pay more for it, haha! It ended up going for £79. How ridiculous is that? For a 5 track CD. There's another one up just now going for £120.

They're all mad.

#42 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jul 30 2005, 06:08 PM)
They'll be recruiting at the end of August for their move over to Big W. smile.gif  I phoned yesterday.

Yeah, I'm still at the BF, but I was off sick last weekend and again this weekend.  I'm pure dying, haha!  It's nice, I haven't spoken to a teddy bear in almost two weeks.

View Post

That's what they told me too. They said to write a letter to them, and they finally got back to me after 2-3 weeks I think! lol!
Mark

#43 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Jul 29 2005, 04:27 PM)
random, i know, but a little thing i happened to notice in whsmith today that they're selling a lot of stationary for half price at the minute, presumably a "back to school" kinda thing. it probably won't have crossed most people's minds yet, but for those of you who're starting uni, if your needing stationary, buy now - come september, when we're gonna need it, it won't be half price any more!

View Post

Thats very good advice and so on topic. smile.gif
I have to say that the same applies for bags and shoes too! You need a bag for uni and at least 1 pair of shoes/trainers
!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#44 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jul 30 2005, 07:25 PM)
random, i know, but a little thing i happened to notice in whsmith today that they're selling a lot of stationary for half price at the minute, presumably a "back to school" kinda thing. it probably won't have crossed most people's minds yet, but for those of you who're starting uni, if your needing stationary, buy now - come september, when we're gonna need it, it won't be half price any more!

View Post

I have to say that the same applies for bags and shoes too! You need a bag for uni and at least 1 pair of shoes/trainers
!

View Post

lol, i found out last year how much stationary can cost you - not something i want to repeat! & i like having pretty folders & being all organised.....but thats probably just me! & only applies to uni work!

also, you totally don't realise the impact that having to wear your own clothes (ie. not uniform!) every day has on your wardrobe. it gets boring soooooo quickly, cos the only comfortable option (this has been discussed with other mates from uni) is jeans, a hoodie, & trainers. that is, unless your one of those "arts & social sciences" students who is only in uni about 3 hours a day & who's first lecture starts at 11 so have got plenty time to get up & make yourself look pretty, in which case feel free to dress up in all your favourite skirts & dresses & high heels. us scientists, we go for comfort, & when you have leave the house at obscene times of the morning to get to your 9am lecture, you really can't be bothered faffing around!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#45 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:54 PM

Erm, Sparky - you can get a debit card when you are under 18. I have a Visa electron which I had about 7 months before I was 18. You can use it for buying stuff online, or in shops, or anything really.

http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/ban.../cardcash.shtml

#46 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

Not all banks have that option, though. I've been with the Nationwide for ages, and they only have the cash card option up till you're 18. And my mummy told me I wasn't changing banks, there wasn't much point if it was only a few months till I could get a debit card anyway.

#47 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:52 PM

With NatWest you can get one at 16 (Solo, cashcard/debit card).

#48 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

These are the top five student accounts according to this site
http://www.interstudent.co.uk/top5_bankaccounts.php

High Interest Bank Account
Open an Alliance & Leicester Premier bank account and get 50 times more interest than any other bank, with 5.00% AER, fixed until 30.09.06 and £25 cash back. It's a real plus.
www.alliance-leicester.co.uk

click here for more info

Switch to the Halifax Current Account
Our current account is just like yours, except we pay you 30 times more interest than most high street banks. Earn 3.04% AER when you pay in £1,000 a month.
www.halifax.co.uk

click here for more info

Smile Bank Account
We pay 3.3% on our current account, Your Money voted us the Best Internet Banking Provider 3 years in a row and we're the only ethical online bank. 9 out of 10 smile customers recommend us.
www.smile.co.uk

click here for more info

HSBC Bank Account
Exclusive price protection, fee-free 24/7 banking and Internet fraud protection when you open an HSBC bank account. Apply now.
www.hsbc.co.uk

click here for more info

First Direct Free Banking
Bank online, on the phone or on your mobile. Get a fee free £500 overdraft, up to 2% AER and £50 when you switch. Apply now.
www.firstdirect.com

If you look around the net you can find all the good deals and an account to suit. smile.gif

Other places....

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/CurrentAcc...t.asp?gsl=1&p=0
http://www.support4learning.org.uk/money/banks.htm
http://www.thebigchoice.com/Student_bank_accounts/
http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/mon...entbankaccounts
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#49 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Jul 30 2005, 07:37 PM)
lol, i found out last year how much stationary can cost you - not something i want to repeat! & i like having pretty folders & being all organised.....but thats probably just me! & only applies to uni work!

also, you totally don't realise the impact that having to wear your own clothes (ie. not uniform!) every day has on your wardrobe. it gets boring soooooo quickly, cos the only comfortable option (this has been discussed with other mates from uni) is jeans, a hoodie, & trainers. that is, unless your one of those "arts & social sciences" students who is only in uni about 3 hours a day & who's first lecture starts at 11 so have got plenty time to get up & make yourself look pretty, in which case feel free to dress up in all your favourite skirts & dresses & high heels. us scientists, we go for comfort, & when you have leave the house at obscene times of the morning to get to your 9am lecture, you really can't be bothered faffing around!

View Post

See i totally think that bout uni 2! I will need loadsa stationery cause i like all my folders n files in oder in nice folders! In fact i am a bit of a freak over all stuff like that!

As for clothes i really duno if i have enough clothes for uni!! I think i may need to get sum more!....feeling a shopping trip coming on!...wishful thinking thoo as i have zero money!

#50 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

http://www.bba.org.uk/pdf/40746.pdf

A simple and concise comparison table of all the banks, the accounts their offer, restrictions, etc etc. I made my choice for NatWest from here. Its intended for international students apparently, but its extremely helpful nonetheless.

Slightly off topic, I do realize.

#51 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

See i totally think that bout uni 2! I will need loadsa stationery cause i like all my folders n files in oder in nice folders! In fact i am a bit of a freak over all stuff like that!

Yup i'm like that too....pretty folders make everything SO much nicer biggrin.gif
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#52 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Jul 30 2005, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jul 30 2005, 07:25 PM)

View Post

!

View Post

View Post

My thoughts exactly. I just thought I'd tell you which clothes shops are having a sale at the moment that I know of:

Next Summer Sale(ends saturday)
River Island
Marks and Spencers
Bhs
Etam ( in Hamilton anyway)
Dorothy Perkins
Internacionale
and for shoes and bags:
Shoefayre
Clarks
JD Sports(clothes also)

Most sales end before the middle of August so I'd recommend going to any of these sales very soon, particularly if you want the Pink Panther top at £7.49 from NEXT! I'm looking for the grey one. If anyone sees it get the asst to keep it for you, say you worked in the factory and will be back for it 2moro- then tell me where it is(Glasgow/EK/Hamilton only please)!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#53 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Internacionale

Glad you mentioned my work biggrin.gif....we usually have some sale section on all year,just really increases some time other time its pretty crap.Also have promos all year!!Best of all its mainly cheap compared to other stores.

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#54 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

add New Look to that long list. oh, & d2 aswell (jeans for a tenner - score!)
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#55 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

There's a special offer with O2 at the moment through UCAS, whch lets you have 2 free sim cards:

http://ucaspromo.o2.co.uk/home.html

#56 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Student Card I got mine first day at RGU, where I got my picture taken and as far as I am aware, that sticks with you for life.

Student Bank AccountI've got one with the Royal Bank of Scotland. I also applied for a student VISA card and that was only suppose to be used for me buying tickets home on citylink and ended up using it for ASDA. You are suppose to get a debit card but I won't get one until my card that I have runs out....Maybe its time the bank card took a tumble in the washing machine tongue.gif

Laptop I got one for using in the hall of residence for accessing my the net and download material for lectures etc. Once or twice it went to Uni for presentations etc.

Student Loan Paid in parts

mobile I stayed with Orange as at the moment I get 5 free text messages a day. Still have to watch when I fone home though

Travelling. What is the best thing to do if planning to commute to university via bus or train. Buy a Zonecard? I would say yes but then you might want to check and see it is going to be worthwhile and if it will be cheaper.

#57 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Vazza @ Aug 3 2005, 03:04 PM)
Student Card I got mine first day at RGU, where I got my picture taken and as far as I am aware, that sticks with you for life.

Student Bank AccountI've got one with the Royal Bank of Scotland. I also applied for a student VISA card and that was only suppose to be used for me buying tickets home on citylink and ended up using it for ASDA. You are suppose to get a debit card but I won't get one until my card that I have runs out....Maybe its time the bank card took a tumble in the washing machine tongue.gif

Laptop I got one for using in the hall of residence for accessing my the net and download material for lectures etc. Once or twice it went to Uni for presentations etc.

Student Loan Paid in parts

mobile I stayed with Orange as at the moment I get 5 free text messages a day. Still have to watch when I fone home though

Travelling. What is the best thing to do if planning to commute to university via bus or train. Buy a Zonecard? I would say yes but then you might want to check and see it is going to be worthwhile and if it will be cheaper.

View Post

Only five free texts a day? I couldn't text just five times...=/ Even just texting 15 time is impossible for me laugh.gif Hence the reason I have 3000 free texts a month. tongue.gif

#58 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(D_n_y @ Jul 28 2005, 03:51 PM)
This is the link for the strathclyde laptop initive thing http://www.strath.ac.uk/projects/sli/

Last time I checked the actual link to the laptops on offer wasn't posted but it
says it will be there by the end of July.  smile.gif

View Post

it is now working!

#59 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Strathclyde thing works. I have registered to see the latops. Nothing special and no jaw dropping prices either!

#60 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ Aug 3 2005, 07:04 PM)
Strathclyde thing works.  I have registered to see the latops.  Nothing special and no jaw dropping prices either!

View Post

For me, yes. £0. Is that jawdropping enough for ya? laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users