Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Preparing for University - HSN forum - Page 2

Preparing for University

77 replies to this topic

#21 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/stu...ounts/list.html

Don't got for an HSBC Account - there isn't a bank near Campus.

#22 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

I hadn't thought about any of this, besides the laptop thing- I was told to get one by Strathclyde uni.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#23 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ Jul 26 2005, 05:04 PM)
Has anyone been asked to send away pictures etc for Glasgow University for their Student Card stuff?

View Post

I still haven't heard anything from them sad.gif I think i might phone them up actually.

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#24 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

I got a letter through the post from UCAS today with leaflets about special offers and stuff. Might take a look through that. smile.gif

#25 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

Don't go with HSBC bank, even if your not going to Glasgow, seriously its not worth it.

#26 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Jul 27 2005, 09:19 PM)
Don't go with HSBC bank, even if your not going to Glasgow, seriously its not worth it.

View Post

ok.. any reasons?? cos im seriously considering! (honest)

#27 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

Yeah my friend Alastair seemed pretty set on that because of the free CDs!

I might buy a laptop if I have enough money! I ain't sure if it's really needed though, I don't think it is.

I have just opened a Nationwide FlexAccount, and they gave me £10 for doing so. I don't really feel the need to get another one. It's not a debit card yet because I'm not 18, but they change it when you reach 18.
Mark

#28 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

Yes well the whole HSBC CD thing is a gimmick- go with them if you want to but look at the options first, thats what I say anyway

#29 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

yeah i am not sure i would trust any sort of leaflet that comes with the UCAS letter HSBC will have paid UCAS to do that its marketing not a recommendation of a good product as far as i am aware

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#30 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

Thats what I though. Great minds think alike, that and I have studied my options and its not the best one.

#31 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ Jul 27 2005, 10:01 PM)
Yeah my friend Alastair seemed pretty set on that because of the free CDs!

I might buy a laptop if I have enough money! I ain't sure if it's really needed though, I don't think it is. 

I have just opened a Nationwide FlexAccount, and they gave me £10 for doing so. I don't really feel the need to get another one.  It's not a debit card yet because I'm not 18, but they change it when you reach 18.

View Post

I'm with the Nationwide as well, apparently it's a good account. I've just been upgraded to the debit card and it's dangerous. It's turned me into an eBay fiend.

I think Strathclyde do quite good deals on laptops. I know that Elaine's sister bought her laptop through the uni. You pay it back in monthly instalments and they give you all the right software you need as well.

I got a laptop at the beginning of the year, for work and for school, and I really couldn't live without it now. It's not connected to the Internet or anything, but it means I can just go to my room and work on whatever I have to in peace and quiet without my family breathing down my neck on our shared computer. In my house, there's four of us that use the main one and generally someone wants to use it for the Internet so it's not ideal to sit there for hours at a time typing up essays and stuff.

And a laptop means you can work from bed! Genius!

#32 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

This is the link for the strathclyde laptop initive thing http://www.strath.ac.uk/projects/sli/

Last time I checked the actual link to the laptops on offer wasn't posted but it
says it will be there by the end of July. smile.gif
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#33 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

random, i know, but a little thing i happened to notice in whsmith today that they're selling a lot of stationary for half price at the minute, presumably a "back to school" kinda thing. it probably won't have crossed most people's minds yet, but for those of you who're starting uni, if your needing stationary, buy now - come september, when we're gonna need it, it won't be half price any more!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#34 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the good advice!

#35 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:34 PM

I got email and letter from the uni, seems they want me afterall biggrin.gif Exciting stuff.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#36 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jul 28 2005, 02:31 PM)

I'm with the Nationwide as well, apparently it's a good account.  I've just been upgraded to the debit card and it's dangerous.  It's turned me into an eBay fiend.

I think Strathclyde do quite good deals on laptops.  I know that Elaine's sister bought her laptop through the uni.  You pay it back in monthly instalments and they give you all the right software you need as well.

I got a laptop at the beginning of the year, for work and for school, and I really couldn't live without it now.  It's not connected to the Internet or anything, but it means I can just go to my room and work on whatever I have to in peace and quiet without my family breathing down my neck on our shared computer.  In my house, there's four of us that use the main one and generally someone wants to use it for the Internet so it's not ideal to sit there for hours at a time typing up essays and stuff.

And a laptop means you can work from bed!  Genius!

View Post

I've not got a debit card yet because I'm a wee young thing! lol! smile.gif I think I'll probably buy a laptop sooner or later when I am at uni, whether it's desperately needed or not. It's the only real thing I will be buying for uni I think! I already have my iPod mini for the train journey's.

Oh and I think a new mobile phone might be in order too! Once I get a job going this shouldn't be too hard.

Mark

#37 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

Apply for Tesco at the end of August, that's what I'm doing!

#38 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

They're not recruiting now anyway. The letter said they will hold your name on record until a suitable vacancy arises! :-/ Are you still in the bear factory?
Mark

#39 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

They'll be recruiting at the end of August for their move over to Big W. smile.gif I phoned yesterday.

Yeah, I'm still at the BF, but I was off sick last weekend and again this weekend. I'm pure dying, haha! It's nice, I haven't spoken to a teddy bear in almost two weeks.

#40 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jul 28 2005, 03:31 PM)

I'm with the Nationwide as well, apparently it's a good account.  I've just been upgraded to the debit card and it's dangerous.  It's turned me into an eBay fiend.

And a laptop means you can work from bed!  Genius!

View Post

i'm also an ebay addict - as if i didn't already have enough bags, its just enocoraging me to buy more!

& laptops = best thing ever. i'd be lost without mine now - how sad is that!!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users