Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Preparing for University - HSN forum - Page 4

Preparing for University

77 replies to this topic

#61 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

Lol yeah.

#62 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

i was hoping to get one for £1.23 cos thats all i have just now but never mind

#63 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

I have (after much deliberation) decided not to buy a laptop. As I already have a computer and the university has tonnes of computers for you to use anyway.

Instead I'm going to buy a nice USB flash pen drive. Coated in titanium and can withstand 2000 lbs of pressure tongue.gif.

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/cruzer-titanium.asp

#64 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Shaun @ Aug 3 2005, 08:23 PM)
I have (after much deliberation) decided not to buy a laptop.  As I already have a computer and the university has tonnes of computers for you to use anyway.

Instead I'm going to buy a nice USB flash pen drive.  Coated in titanium and can withstand 2000 lbs of pressure tongue.gif.

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/cruzer-titanium.asp

View Post

thanks for reminding me, i will have to get one for when i'm back at school, lost mine ages ago.

#65 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

why would it need to withstand 2000lbs of pressure?? just incase your fat neighbour comes round and sits on it??? blink.gif biggrin.gif

#66 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

I don't know! lol. Perhaps I'll leave it under my dads (heavy) car one day and see if it still works once he has drove over it lol

#67 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:35 PM

lol and if it doesnt take all the pieces back and ask for a refund

#68 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:39 PM

definetly. I wonder if the force of dropping it in the air, until it comes under freefall, and it was to smash off the ground if that would be more than 2000lbs?!

#69 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

maybe but id like to see how youd go about doing that blink.gif lol

#70 Jill1405

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

what about textbooks cos some of my friends have reading lists but i havent heard anything bout it. do they tell u when u get there wat to read etc, though i'm doin engineering i dunno how much reading is part of the course.

Jill
xx

#71 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Aug 3 2005, 11:41 PM) View Post

maybe but id like to see how youd go about doing that blink.gif lol

I think all you need to do is drop it out of a aeroplane of helicopter, not sure though.

Obviously from high up though.

#72 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(Jill1405 @ Sep 4 2006, 10:55 AM) View Post

what about textbooks cos some of my friends have reading lists but i havent heard anything bout it. do they tell u when u get there wat to read etc, though i'm doin engineering i dunno how much reading is part of the course.

Jill
xx

Usually for a science/engineering topic the book list will appear online and the lecturer usually brings the ones he/she likes into the first lecture. In science and engineering reading isnt usually a huge ammount and very rarely is it impossible to pass a module with just the lecture notes, they usually are good enough to tell u everything u need for exams.

#73 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

One piece of advice about textbooks.

Never buy all the books of the reading list until your first lecture or so. The lecturer virtually always makes recommendations on what is the best text to get, and may recommend other texts to get if you want to explore the subject deeper/or need a bit extra help!

In some classes, course notes and lecture notes can get you through, but I always prefer having a book aswell, as it usually has a bit more substance, especially when you go to revise stuff at the beginning of the course, and all the lecture slides have on it is a couple of bullet points. :-/
Mark

#74 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:50 PM

i good plan is to buy 2nd hand aswell that is what i did for a few of my books and i can now sell my textbooks to pay some of the way to new ones

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#75 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

Yeah definately. There are a few of my textbooks which I never really used!! The Management Science one was rarely opened! The Stats one never got used much towards the end either! tongue.gif

I think they'll be a lot more reading and stuff this year though.
Mark

#76 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

I don't buy second hand books, because sometimes I find pages ripped out, scribbles on pages, et cetera. Not something I want. However, I will be selling my second hand books. *wonders where to sell these books at*

#77 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Also, its a good idea to see if you are likely to need the textbooks for more than one particular module, I will look at honours reading lists to see if the book or something similar is needed again. If you are using a book for only part of one module for a semester then it really isnt worth buying it, even second hand. Instead try getting the book out of the library on a short loan or something, and make copies of the (usually few) bits you really need.

#78 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Sep 6 2006, 01:35 PM) View Post

I don't buy second hand books, because sometimes I find pages ripped out, scribbles on pages, et cetera. Not something I want. However, I will be selling my second hand books. *wonders where to sell these books at*

Ask 4. level 4 of the union. or stick up notices around the campus

as for book buying - in my 2 years at uni, i've bought 2 textbooks. both at the start of 1st year. one was University Physics by Benson which is a massive thing, ways about 2 tonnes, & we used it in tutorials in first year - was great fun lugging that thing into uni on a tuesday, i can tell ya! it cost about 40 i think (new) but it was definitely worth it - i think i've used it in 4 out of the 5 physics classes i've done thus far. the other book, i've never used. it was "only" 20, & we were told it was absolutely essential in first year labs - it wasn't, cos nobody i know even opened it! then we were told at the start of 2nd year labs that we absolutely had to have it.....& again, nobody used it! i've also been taking a peek at some of the stuff for my 3rd year classes, & its one of the recommended texts for one of my classes - whats the bets i don't use it!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users