Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Google Earth - HSN forum - Page 2

Google Earth

70 replies to this topic

#21 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jul 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
I just checked. It won't work. Plus it seems to want a lot of space and graphics and stuff

View Post

Mac can't cope? Boohoo innocent.gif

#22 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Jul 25 2005, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE(YIC @ Jul 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
I just checked. It won't work. Plus it seems to want a lot of space and graphics and stuff

View Post

Mac can't cope? Boohoo innocent.gif

View Post

in a very shrude way.. i do find that funny..

#23 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

Well, well, well. Google Earth has uncovered where Hitler really escaped to. None other than San Diego ohmy.gif:

San Diego

#24 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Haha, seen that one before though! Might have been on WorldWind I saw it rather than Google Earth though.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#25 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

A video interview with the MS Virtual Earth team
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#26 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

The "Locate Me" function is pretty nice smile.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#27 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, definitely - if we lived in the USA it would be better but hopefully it will work just as accurately for the UK soonish.

#28 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

World Trade Centre blink.gif

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=16&v=1

Some pretty out of date image files clearly.

The zoom is slow compared with Google Earth as well but the locating features are cool, for the USA at least.

#29 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

is that what that is??
if it is thats weird cos i thought it was meant to be updated all the time?!?

#30 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:15 PM

It's definitely the World Trade Centre.

Google Earth has some more up to date imagery.

#31 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'm sure its in the right place, although the only reason I think this is because its in friends

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

The imagery's just taken from satellite cameras and on board aircraft but the Manhattan files (and probably many more) are obviously >46 months old.

#33 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

well thats a bit stupid is it not, saying that they have a great new thing and it turns out the pics are'nt even slightly recent!

#34 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

Well they obviously cannot have real time images as they would need thousands of satellites and even more servers (the least of their worries for something like that!). The majority of the Google images are 2 to 3 years old.

#35 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

i just thought that with something as major as that they would have taken a new photo of that area coz thats a very large change

#36 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jul 25 2005, 08:35 PM)
i just thought that with something as major as that they would have taken a new photo of that area coz thats a very large change

View Post

Well, they have to make do with what they have. Google Satellite has old images (not as old) and everybody went on about its use of AJAX in Google Maps...something that has been around since about 1998 and was used in numerous scripts before that. Now, I can't click any technology related link about PERL, Python, PHP etc. without reading about AJAX (Okay I joined the buzz of it for a few months earlier this year tongue.gif). Anyways, places and people constantly change and it is damn near impossible to keep up with these changes. Think of the satellites taking these pictures then think of the world. Coastlines are a much larger area than the WTC and they change every milisecond. tongue.gif Try keeping up with that,

#37 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

lol i suppose that would be very difficult, i must just be too demanding

ps i lived near dalkeith until i was 2
sorry its completely unrelated moderator people

#38 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jul 25 2005, 08:45 PM)

View Post

Lucky, you escaped. Dalkeith has left its scars on me, and will continue to until I get away from here :-"

#39 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ Jul 25 2005, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE(dondon @ Jul 25 2005, 08:45 PM)

View Post

Lucky, you escaped. Dalkeith has left its scars on me, and will continue to until I get away from here :-"

View Post

lol i know what you mean I have cousins who still live there and im sure its damaged them wacko.gif

#40 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

earth.google.com

It is amazing!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users