Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
A Protest against the SQA - HSN forum

A Protest against the SQA

66 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:02 PM

This topic is SOLEY for the discussion of a protest against the sqa. This thread will focus on the issues which will be protested on and the arrangements for one.

If you disagree with a protest - please do not post in this thread.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#2 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:02 PM

1. Lack of support for minority subjects

2. Mistakes in papers. ie. questions which are too high a level for the people sitting them. eg. a higher question in a standard grade paper. A mistake like that is not hard to pick up on.

3. The price of past papers! It's a rip off. Seperately from the SQA they are £4 each. From Leckie and Leckie - £6.99 for past examples of exams which cost over £32 to sit.

4. Clashes with exams. ie. 2 on the same day. This is more understandable if the subject is a minority subject - but this year, computing and history are on the same day. There are an awful lot of people in Scotland who do both. This is not fair on them

5. Frequent changes in exam courses. Why is it necessary to change courses so often and make them so different?

#3 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

sorry martin, we must have simultaneously set up the threads!

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#4 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:24 PM

WHERE?
WHEN?
HOW?

WHY? - We have already discussed this!! lol!

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#5 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Shandogg @ May 25 2004, 06:24 PM)
WHERE?
WHEN?
HOW?

WHY? - We have already discussed this!! lol!

That'll all be decided in time!

Why? - this needs to be written nicely. I was given the idea of summing up out points and sending them to the SQA.

where, when and how we can decide once why has been explained fully.

#6 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

I think it would be more effective if we discuss why on this thread and then each of us sum up the points made in our own way and send letters of complaint individually, then they will have more complaints and summin must therefore be done about it

What you thnk?

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#7 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

I think it's a good idea - getting an idea of what the complaints are then writing your own letters.

Very civilised biggrin.gif.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Steve wink.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:53 PM

I do think that is a good idea. However we should also create a kind of petition, a kind of catalogue of errors and send these to the SQA. After all, power in numbers, right?

Civilised- I can do civilised and precise and to the point yet not nasty. I could type stuff up as long as there are enough people to warrant the creation of such a document.

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:12 AM

There certainly are enough people Lulu.

Let's try to expand. Possibly we could get a dedicated website about it.

Strength in numbers! Definitely.

Add some comments to the thread - it'll help create the letter.

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:21 AM

Dont worry I could write the whole letter out of the sensible points of that locked topic. However a website is going a bit over the top as is a protest. Restrain yourself.

#12 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 27 2004, 12:21 AM)
Dont worry I could write the whole letter out of the sensible points of that locked topic. However a website is going a bit over the top as is a protest. Restrain yourself.

I don't agree.

It'd be a place where we could have our arguments clearly defined. Not over the topic - just organised.

All protests now a days have websites. Possibly even an online petition so people could sign. We could hand that to the SQA also.

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

Ok a website then but no protest. Absolutely no protest. It is neither civilised nor mature. It is a sense that we are mature, academicallly-minded individuals that will make our point heard! I hope you know that as well as I do! Then again maybe its my high IQ ! lol no but seriously maturity is the key

#14 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:29 AM

A civillised, not violent protest.

Strength must be shown! We need to show the SQA that there are people who are defient. They may be a powerful force - but if no one stands up - then the problems will remain and issues will never be resolved.

#15 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:39 AM

I'm sorry but protests in any form appear to be a last desperate attempt! Besides look at all the protests and marches which happened this year on a variety of issues! Not one single one was listened to and acted upon by the government!

#16 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:46 AM

A protest is pointless. I feel you would have far more effect if you each wrote a letter clearly detailing your complaints rather than going on protest when most people (including the SQA) will be unaware of what you are protesting about.

I suggest they are are more likely to take notice if you write letters.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#17 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Steve @ May 27 2004, 08:46 AM)
A protest is pointless. I feel you would have far more effect if you each wrote a letter clearly detailing your complaints rather than going on protest when most people (including the SQA) will be unaware of what you are protesting about.

I suggest they are are more likely to take notice if you write letters.

It is not fair to say it would be pointless.

A letter, and a protest is what I said. We would outline why we are protesting.
Also, we'd have little signs!

They just ignore letters. Something else needs to be tried.

#18 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

Lulu and steve, I agree. A protest isnt pointless but it should be left til last. I suggest something along these lines:

1. Discuss topic on this thread
2. All make up own CIVILISED letters of complaint and the more ppl we have writing these letters, the stronger we come across to the SQA
3. Send these letters off to the same address around about the same date
4. Wait for replies and discuss replies
5. If replies are all the same rubbish, then start an online petition and send that to the SQA, see outcome of that
6. If that is no use THEN arrange a protest

There is no use jumping in at the deep end, start off in the maturist way we can and then get stronger the more defiant the SQA become 2wards us.

What y'all think??

Shandogg
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#19 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

I think ur absolutely right Shandogg however I also whilst sending our own letters think that a group letter from the " Scottish Secondary School Student Union Representatives" wouldnt go a miss if sent at the same time.

#20 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

The suggestion of writing to watchdog/shortchange and the sqa.

would anyone like to start off a draft? i would - but i unfortunately have computing on monday. I've not done any work for it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users