Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher French 2004 - HSN forum

Higher French 2004

19 replies to this topic

#1 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Hey guys
I think that the reading was quite hard but i managed to get answers for every question so i suppose it wasnt too bad. However, the listening was a nitemare i thot is was soo fast, faster than b4 i think. The writing were ok though!!
So overall it was ok i think/hope!

#2 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:25 PM

The reading was OK, it was a bit of a strange topic though! Not really part of the themes we'd learnt

The listening was awful! It was going so fast, then you had to turn the page half way through the recording lol. Only noticed coz I heard everyone else doing it!

The writings were fine though, just the usual in paper 1, and the listening essay was on a good topic biggrin.gif

#3 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:37 PM

Well, on a whole, i found french fairly difficult! french and difficult in teh same sentence, weird!

directed writing was ok although i don't think i mad eit clear i was doing all my activities with other people unsure.gif lol

reading- i actually found tehre ading quite difficult especially at the beginning (ie q1a laugh.gif ) however it got qutie a bit easire nearer the end. I haven't done teh translation very well, but Mrs Campbell and Mr inglis said that it was a difficult translation. he actually said "tehy'd never get that" about one part of it!

listening was absolutely awful. sad.gif the tape was basically too fast. On hte first run through i got 3 answers, yes 3!!! Luckily i caught quite a few more on teh second run. We were told that we should aim for around 1/2 marks in the listening and i seriosuly doubt i have got that!! Mrs Campbells face was class during the tape, i think she was basically in disbelief at how fast teh tape was. At the end she walked out and we both jsut looked at each other like blink.gif wtf!!! At the end i was relieved to find that everyone found it crappy. Mrs C said that there was no way that we could listne and take notes at the same time.

essay question was really good and i had a question prepared that fitted it perfectly. It took me like 5 minutes to write it and then i jsut went back writing random stuff about why the Belgians like france!

I don't really care if i sound up myself here, french is teh only subject that i can say that i really was certain i'd get an A in. Now,however, i feel i'll be lucky to scrape a B!! Luckily i got good marks for speaking (predicted 25 marks rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ) so that should push me up!

The difference between this years and aslt years exam is outrageous..lasts years one was pish , this years one... blink.gif mad.gif sad.gif ph34r.gif BAD
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#4 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (lesley @ May 26 2004, 08:37 PM)
listening was absolutely awful. sad.gif the tape was basically too fast. On hte first run through i got 3 answers, yes 3!!! Luckily i caught quite a few more on teh second run. We were told that we should aim for around 1/2 marks in the listening and i seriosuly doubt i have got that!! Mrs Campbells face was class during the tape, i think she was basically in disbelief at how fast teh tape was. At the end she walked out and we both jsut looked at each other like blink.gif wtf!!! At the end i was relieved to find that everyone found it crappy. Mrs C said that there was no way that we could listne and take notes at the same time.

Couldnt agree more the listening was reallt hard. I am crap at the listening so i was only aiming for half marks n i really dont no if i even got that!
I was reading an article in a paper where as these language experts n teachers were saying that the listning was too hard!!!

#5 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:33 PM

Hi smile.gif

I didn't think the reading was too bad - but it took me ages to find the answer to the first question! I didn't really know which bit they were looking for so I practially translated the whole of the first paragraph!
The listening was a bit too fast I thought, but I was quite happy with most of my answers, until the rest of my class started comparing answers after and I realised I'd made a few mistakes! However, I thought both the directed writing and the personal response essay were ok, I did quite a lot about future plans in my speaking exam so I just quoted a lot of that smile.gif

What kind of sporting events did people write about? I wrote about a netball tournament, but I'm not sure if I wrote enough about the actual event, most of my essay was taken up with what I did during the day (visiting the Eiffel Tour etc)

Oh well, least we don't have to worry about it now til August smile.gif smile.gif
Good Luck everyone!

#6 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ May 28 2004, 03:33 PM)
What kind of sporting events did people write about? I wrote about a netball tournament, but I'm not sure if I wrote enough about the actual event, most of my essay was taken up with what I did during the day (visiting the Eiffel Tour etc)

yeah mine was like that too. I was in an athletics tournament but i only wrote about four sentences or sumthin bout it! lol!
Most o my class were like tht too!

#7 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:17 PM

Yeah I mentioned a swimming competition, I hardly talked about it in detail though. I just said something like I won the competition and it was especially exciting because the brother of the pen friend I was staying with was racing me, lol.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#8 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (superstar @ May 28 2004, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (Laura @ May 28 2004, 03:33 PM)

yeah mine was like that too. I was in an athletics tournament but i only wrote about four sentences or sumthin bout it! lol!
Most o my class were like tht too!

lol! glad to find someone else like me! biggrin.gif

Should be ok as long as what we did write about the sporting event was pretty accurate. On the whole I think I did ok smile.gif

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

all i said about the sporting event was that i played at netball and football, i played well and the day was good. French teacher said that would be fine.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#10 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (lesley @ May 28 2004, 04:33 PM)
all i said about the sporting event was that i played at netball and football, i played well and the day was good. French teacher said that would be fine.

All I said was:

"Throughout the week we played four netball matches and we won them all. We were very happy!"

The last bit sounds a bit lame, but I thought I'd better put a bit more than just one sentence! smile.gif smile.gif

#11 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

mine was like that too, i just said me and the french people played football and the scots won!

most of my essay was the other bullet points

#12 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

The essays were Ok, but I'm crap with verbs so that's what'll let me down, I know it. But HOW HARD WAS THE LISTENING?! It was so fast it was unbelievable. Last year's exam was nothing like that.

Everyone I know thought the listening was too fast, so we're all all right. biggrin.gif

#13 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Lindsay @ May 31 2004, 02:49 PM)
The essays were Ok, but I'm crap with verbs so that's what'll let me down, I know it. But HOW HARD WAS THE LISTENING?! It was so fast it was unbelievable. Last year's exam was nothing like that.

Everyone I know thought the listening was too fast, so we're all all right. biggrin.gif

I no the listening was unbelievable and thats my worst bit anyway!! Which is gr8! I knew it would b hard but that was awful! Worse than i had expected!!!! sad.gif
Good to no u felt the same way Lindsay!!

#14 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

The good thing is that the listening's only 20 marks out of the 100. And I already have 25 for my speaking, so if I've done well in all the other bits, I can still pass.

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

If you got 25/25 for your speaking I would think you'd be getting an 'A'?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#16 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

I got 20/25 for my speekin so yeah that is a reasonable foundation to build on!! smile.gif

#17 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

Hi smile.gif

What topics did people choose to do their speaking presentations on?

I did mine on Home Area, coz I thought that was one of the easier topics to talk at length about. I also put in a bit about future plans and university (about where I would like to live in the future etc) which came in quite useful in this years personal response essay! wink.gif I got 25/25 for my speaking exam, was anyone's school moderated on their French tapes this year? My teacher thought our's might be coz the German tapes were moderated last year, but we weren't in the end! tongue.gif

#18 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:38 PM

I did leisure and healthy living. I talked about what I did to stay fit and how I thought it was important etc. My school's tapes were moderated but my personal tape wasn't (along with one other person's) for some reason. I got 20/25 which I was quite pleased with and was better than most in the class. However, the recording wasn't very clear for most people so most did it again (I didn't bother) and a lot of people were given 22/25.

#19 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:05 PM

I did the presentation on holidays, then I did the questions on holidays/family.

One girl in my class got three chances to record hers, which was an outrage. =/ I wish she'd failed. But I'm mean.

#20 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:43 PM

I did my talk on school. Then i went on to the amount of homewrk i get, tv, n then if i have a healthy lifestyle! (Yeah rite with five higher i think not! lol!)
smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users