Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Can someone help me with this please?.. - HSN forum

Can someone help me with this please?..

19 replies to this topic

#1 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

When it is time for the space shuttle to come in for a landing, it needs to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere at the right time and place so that it can land successfully at the designated landing strip. Depending on the shuttle's altitude, its deorbit burn must occur for the correct length of time in order for the shuttle to begin its descent at the right speed and in the correct location. The deorbit burn is done against the direction of travel. The shuttle keeps moving in the same direction, but it slows down due to the drag on the spacecraft as it enters the atmosphere. Deorbit maneuvers are usually done to lower the perigee of the orbit to 60 miles (or less). The orbiter will get captured and will re-enter as it passes into the atmosphere of this altitude.

Question :

Calculate the change in velocity (in m/s) that must be used to lower the perigee from 230 miles to a 60 mile altitude? To reduce the shuttle altitude by 1 mile there must be 1 foot per second chane in velocity. (1 f = 0.31m)

Help would be much appreciated biggrin.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#2 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

Ouch... Physics... Brain... Melting... Can't... Focus.

Erk.

Sorry.

#3 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

I feel exactly the same...only another 50 similar questions to go blink.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#4 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

Ew, poor you. =/ I did higher Physics, got an A (by appeal, I must admit). It never made much sense to me. I just learned it for the exam without actually understanding.

#5 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jun 19 2005, 07:39 PM)
Ew, poor you. =/  I did higher Physics, got an A (by appeal, I must admit).  It never made much sense to me.  I just learned it for the exam without actually understanding.

View Post

oooo well done...as u got an A, get helpin me with that question! tongue.gif hehe just kiddin. I really don't understand physics at times. What did u get for maths?

#6 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

don't panic. i'm doing physics at uni & even i dunno where to start with that. i'd guess along the lines of equations of motion, but other than that i'm lost!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#7 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

QUOTE(Allana @ Jun 19 2005, 08:33 PM)
When it is time for the space shuttle to come in for a landing, it needs to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere at the right time and place so that it can land successfully at the designated landing strip. Depending on the shuttle's altitude, its deorbit burn must occur for the correct length of time in order for the shuttle to begin its descent at the right speed and in the correct location. The deorbit burn is done against the direction of travel. The shuttle keeps moving in the same direction, but it slows down due to the drag on the spacecraft as it enters the atmosphere. Deorbit maneuvers are usually done  to lower the perigee of the orbit to 60 miles (or less). The orbiter will get captured and will re-enter as it passes into the atmosphere of this altitude.

Question :

Calculate the change in velocity (in m/s) that must be used to lower the perigee from 230 miles to a 60 mile altitude? To reduce the shuttle altitude by 1 mile there must be 1 foot per second chane in velocity. (1 f = 0.31m)

Help would be much appreciated biggrin.gif

View Post

Um...no ideas. I forgot everything to do with physics. Sorry! Ask Werlop! tongue.gif

#8 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

I got an A for that as well, but again it's been a year since I've done it. tongue.gif

I'll have a look at that question. Then ask my brother who's doing sciences at uni, haha!

#9 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jun 19 2005, 07:43 PM)
I got an A for that as well, but again it's been a year since I've done it. tongue.gif

I'll have a look at that question.  Then ask my brother who's doing sciences at uni, haha!

View Post

whoa thats great. I'll have to work hard this year, i'm not the type who goes into an exam having done very little revision and sails through it....ah well we can dream can't we.
And thanks for your help biggrin.gif

#10 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:17 PM

aaaaanyone? huh.gif

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

You're best asking in the Physics forum. tongue.gif

#12 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

I think the answer to this question is actually quite simple.

i.e To reduce the orbit by 1 mile then you have change speed by 1ft per second.

Therefore 170 miles (230-60) = 170ft per second.

1ft= 0.31m

so 170x0.31= 52.7 m/s biggrin.gif
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#13 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(D_n_y @ Jun 19 2005, 09:32 PM)

1ft= 0.31m

View Post

That's what I got, too smile.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#14 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(D_n_y @ Jun 19 2005, 08:32 PM)

1ft= 0.31m

View Post

god, i feel thick now blink.gif
Thanks a lot though biggrin.gif

#15 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

no probs biggrin.gif
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#16 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

thought that isnt for physics is it

Its for NASA no less

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#17 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 19 2005, 09:27 PM)
thought that isnt for physics is it

Its for NASA no less

View Post

It sure is smile.gif

#18 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:44 PM

Rocket science explained the easy way - one bit goes boom, the other bit goes whoosh the other way. All you need to know biggrin.gif

#19 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

laugh.gif Yeah. Unfortunately, the physicists makes boom and whoosh complicated, even giving them units. sad.gif

#20 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Jun 20 2005, 04:15 PM)
laugh.gif Yeah. Unfortunately, the physicists makes boom and whoosh complicated, even giving them units. sad.gif

View Post

Don't mock my inability to use my common sense! tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users