Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
stright line equation problem :S - HSN forum

stright line equation problem :S

9 replies to this topic

#1 keiran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Hey im doing some homework for maths but am stuck hope someone can help. Here is the question:

Find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of the line joining each pair of points.

C(-2,0) and E(8,1)

So heres what im getting:

Midpoint = ((X1 + X2) / 2) , ((Y1 + Y2) / 2)
= ((-2 + 8) / 2) , ((0 + 1) / 2)
= (3,1/2) < 1/2 equals a half just in case its not clear

M = Y2 - Y1 / X2 - X1
= 1 - 0 / 8 - (-2)
= 1/10 < 1/10 also a fraction

meaning

M = -10/1
A = 3
B = 1/2

so the form of the equation should be
Y - B = M (X - A)
Y - 1/2 = -10/1 (X - 3)

But my problem is I don't know what to do when I have a point which is a half :S Does anyone know ?

The answer is :
20X + 2Y - 61 = 0 < This answer is from the book and has been re arranged to the form - AX + BY + C = 0

Your help is much appreciated
Keiran

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

Your final equation is:

Y - 1/2 = -10 ( x - 3)

Expand the brackets:

Y - 1/2 = -10x + 30

You need to get rid of the 2 at the bottom, so you multiply by 2 THROUGH OUT (on both sides of the equation, by each term):

So you have:
2 * (y - 1/2) = 2 * (-10x + 30)

( "*" is for multiplication, to avoid confusion with "x" which is X)

So you get:

2y - 2/2 = -20x + 60

2/2 is just 1

so

2y - 1 = -20x + 60

Bring it all over to one side:

2y + 20x -1 - 60 = 0

So:

20x + 2y - 61 = 0.

I take it you're in Standard Grade/starting Highers... which is why I've gone a lil slowly. Hope that helps. Good luck smile.gif

#3 keiran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

thanks a lot, I now understand what to do smile.gif Yes your right just starting higher maths

Keiran

#4 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

good luck with higher maths!!!

I did it last year nd found it rly tuff but if u get ur head down nd study really hard for it, u'll be fine!! smile.gif
beast

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

Yep, its one of those things that you need to work hard at and most importantly practice lots and lots.

#6 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hey i'm just new to this message board. I recently sat my Maths standard grade and didn't think it went as well as i would have liked - i'm hoping to get a 2. Do you think it is still possible for me to get at least a B in higher maths, even though i found the s.grade exam hard? blink.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#7 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

Higher Math isn't really hard, its just quite a large jump if you ask me from what I've seen with my fellow classmates. You need to be very comfortable with using indices, fractions, basic algebra, factorisation of quadratics, basic basic stuff like that. Once you're comfortable with it, the theory is really a breeze. That said, you still need to put in a decent amount of effort depending obviously on how comfortable you are - anything from upto an hour or so a night.

I'd say if you got a head start over the summer holidays, got to grips with your basics and get comfortable with your math, and possibly even start doing bits of the Higher course, you stand a really good chance of a good grade.

Oh btw, welcome and have fun round here biggrin.gif

#8 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm not one for slacking off and leaving revision to the last minute, so hopefully if i stick at it i will be ok.
Thanks for the welcome biggrin.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#9 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Allana @ Jun 18 2005, 08:00 PM)
Hey i'm just new to this message board. I recently sat my Maths standard grade and didn't think it went as well as i would have liked - i'm hoping to get a 2. Do you think it is still possible for me to get at least a B in higher maths, even though i found the s.grade exam hard? blink.gif

View Post

I found my Standard Grades hard when I sat it, but Higher Maths seem to be more easier to understand once you've got a good grasp of it. I thought I would fail but got a 1 in my SGs. That just goes to show you anyone can do it. You can do it! Be positive!

#10 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Wedge37 @ Jun 20 2005, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE(Allana @ Jun 18 2005, 08:00 PM)

View Post

I found my Standard Grades hard when I sat it, but Higher Maths seem to be more easier to understand once you've got a good grasp of it. I thought I would fail but got a 1 in my SGs. That just goes to show you anyone can do it. You can do it! Be positive!

View Post

thanks for the advice, although im pretty sure i've not got a 1. Damn it! I had worked so hard aswell and got good grades all year. Hopefully next year will bring more luck tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users