Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher English: The Dissertation - HSN forum

Advanced Higher English: The Dissertation

38 replies to this topic

#1 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:28 PM

Hiya im doin adv english this year n im doing my dissortation on Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Anyone know anything about them at all? Especially on the aspects of weather affecting them?! Muchappreciated if i could get help!

#2 Wheelybin

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

Ooo tough books me thinks. I watched Jane Eyre in 4th year and then read it in fifth. Don't think I could be off much help, however at least there is TONS of information about your books out there.... I'm doing comtemporaries *Buddha Da* and *Brick Lane*... Oh joyous!
Who is the 'She' in the nursery rhyme, "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"?

#3 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:58 PM

How are you guys going about your dissertation? I don't know where to start lol

QUOTE(Wheelybin @ Dec 16 2004, 11:43 AM)
Ooo tough books me thinks. I watched Jane Eyre in 4th year and then read it in fifth. Don't think I could be off much help, however at least there is TONS of information about your books out there.... I'm doing comtemporaries *Buddha Da* and *Brick Lane*... Oh joyous!

View Post

#4 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hoorah! I have finally got my first draft of my dissertation back!

We have our prelim on Tuesday. Scary bananas.

#5 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

good luck in your prelim! we didn't get one for english thank goodness, although i'm starting to think that might be a bad thing.

#6 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

I need to chose three books for my Advanced Higher English dissertation that I have to write next year. The idea is I read them and prepare some detailed notes/analysis on it this summer, so that when I go back to school, I can focus on the other parts to the course and on my Advanced Higher History dissertation, which I'm going to find slightly more difficult that the English one. Also got another few Higher courses to sit as well.

The three books have to have some common link. As in, the same author and how he deals with something, such as how he uses the setting to convey his emotions or whatever. They can't just be three random books. Characterisation would seem the easiest thing to write on, or symbolism throughout three books.

If you could provide some sort of description of the books, I'd appreciate it very much. The books have to be of a semi-decent standard as well.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

#7 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

does it need to be books or could it be short storys aswell??

#8 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jun 12 2005, 01:52 PM)

View Post

Books, as far as I know. Novels.

#9 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(stevon @ Jun 12 2005, 02:22 PM)

View Post

View Post

Our teacher says that we can do anything, really. Novels, short stories, non-fiction, poetry etc... for our dissertation.
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#10 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(cc100 @ Jun 12 2005, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE(stevon @ Jun 12 2005, 02:22 PM)

View Post

View Post

Our teacher says that we can do anything, really. Novels, short stories, non-fiction, poetry etc... for our dissertation.

View Post

May well be the case mate, I didn't query. Wanting to do three novels smile.gif

#11 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

Make sure you choose the right books. I spent 8 months with the teacher saying it's alright, don't start yet and those books are great. Then when we went to eventually begin writing the damn thing, the books began to appear unsuitable and very few common links were apparent. Thus, I had to do my dissertation from start to finish in 1 week. Not advisable. I've probably flunked the course because of it.

Yes I am bitter.

#12 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

I'm not doing AH English, but George Orwell's books all have common links as far as I'm aware. Maybe he is an author which you could look at.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#13 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

Thanks very much so far guys.

I'm planning on reading the books over the summer, along with some Dickens, that our idiot class decided was a good idea to study. Great Expectations, I certainly don't have any for these books sad.gif

#14 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

Oh God you poor thing! I may have to do the Dickens novels because my English teacher really likes them! Grr! I wanted to do the Forster or Gray. There's only two people doing advanced English and the other guy said he wanted to do Dickens as well. What do you want to do for the Drama? I wanted to do the Chekhov.

RE the dissertation, my English teacher said if you were doing novels or plays then it would be better to do only two texts - apparently, according to the SQA candidates deal badly with more than two texts.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for mine. Do you think Iain Banks' novels would be ok?
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#15 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

i would say an iain banks novel would be fine, i was considering doing one last year but changed my mind at the last minute, my teacher had said it was suitable at the time though. what one were you thinking of doing just out of interest? (big iain banks fan here!)

#16 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:05 AM

Waay Haay - another Iain Banks fan! I love his work! Which is your favourite? And are you a member of the Iain Banks forum/website?
I thought I might do a selection since I have to do at least two texts. I'm not sure which although I'd like to do 'The Crow Road'.
However my English teacher has suggested I do a comparison between 'The Wasp Factory', 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Deadkidsongs' (don't know if you'll know this one - by Toby Litt - I really liked it although it is very disturbing in places).
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#17 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE(arizona_night @ Jun 17 2005, 07:04 PM)
i would say an iain banks novel would be fine, i was considering doing one last year but changed my mind at the last minute, my teacher had said it was suitable at the time though. what one were you thinking of doing just out of interest? (big iain banks fan here!)

View Post

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 20 2005, 10:05 AM)
Waay Haay - another Iain Banks fan! I love his work! Which is your favourite? And are you a member of the Iain Banks forum/website?
I thought I might do a selection since I have to do at least two texts.  I'm not sure which although I'd like to do 'The Crow Road'.
However my English teacher has suggested I do a comparison between 'The Wasp Factory', 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Deadkidsongs' (don't know if you'll know this one - by Toby Litt - I really liked it although it is very disturbing in places).

View Post

Iain Banks was a former pupil of my school, incidentally! biggrin.gif Gourock High School, in case you were wondering.

#18 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 20 2005, 09:05 AM)
I thought I might do a selection since I have to do at least two texts.  I'm not sure which although I'd like to do 'The Crow Road'.

View Post

hey i'm not a member of the iain banks forum no, might check it out though. my favourites are probaby dead air and espedair street, because i'm from paisley i recognise a lot of the places used early in the novel!

i think the crow road or the wasp factory are suitable to do in a dissertation, but your what your teacher is suggesting sounds great as you could explore the disturbing nature of those three novels. the wasp factory freaked me out when i first read it!

#19 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

I think I'm going to do Jane Austen. smile.gif

#20 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:57 PM

Jane Austin- How predictable?

Its a good choice though
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users