Where do you think you've done better?

23 replies to this topic

Poll: Those of you who sat both maths and english, which do you think you've done better in? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Those of you who sat both maths and english, which do you think you've done better in?

1. English (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. Maths (16 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Both great (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Both terrible (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Hey!

Seeing as everyone seems to disagree with me I thought I'd run a poll to check. I definetly think I've done much better in the English exam (probably because I stayed away from poetry!) I reckon I'll get an A at best but if not, definetly a B. For Maths however, there's absolutley no chance of an A and it looks doubtful for the B! God lets hope I can actually get a C!

Laura xxx

rolleyes.gif

#2 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Definitely maths!

English is a hit or a miss with me

#3 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:51 PM

I voted Both great, nothing wrong with being optimistic wink.gif

#4 Blaze

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

Definetly did better in Maths as it was fairly starightforward. Think I did well in English but my essays might not be that great

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:20 AM

I definately did better in Maths aswell!

I'm hoping for an A Band 1 in Maths, although with English I'm also hoping for an A (or if not that, a B).

I can't really tell with English, because you can never tell how well your Essays went. Also it's very hard to score high marks in the Critical Essays. Supposedly, hardly anyone ever gets 25 in them - even thought they may be great, the Markers refuse to give a 25 is what I've heard.

#6 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:41 AM

They maybe dont refuse but from what I have heard no one has ever got a 25 not even an adult leaner.

Also it is very difficult to score above 20/25 for an essay and very few get it.

Part of the reason why you only need 60 odd percent for an A.

dont worry about essays too much. the bulk of your mark will come from close reading.

I think its really unfair for marking of essays as undoubtedly the markers don't have exactly the same standard no matter what the SQA say. this is the exception to the rule where i think thry could improve. i dont know what they could do though for this so i cant really complain.

#7 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:26 PM

They should use a system of pegged marks like they do in Modern Languages. That would be fairer

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

How does that work?

blink.gif

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:44 PM

I don't think the pegged marks are a good idea at all for the modern languages and nor would they be for English. It's better to give the most specific mark possible, I think English has it right.
PS - I think I've probably done a little better in English huh.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#10 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (ally @ May 25 2004, 01:29 PM)
How does that work?

blink.gif

Through the following link scroll to the last page for an example: http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/03miFrenchHListAndWrit.pdf
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#11 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:55 PM

Both terrible.

*so optimistic*
@

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:30 PM

i was tempted to say both but with english you can never tell because so much is on what the marker thinks rather than on the marking scheme unlike maths which is more of a science with right answers and more importantly wrong ones

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 25 2004, 07:30 PM)
i was tempted to say both but with english you can never tell because so much is on what the marker thinks rather than on the marking scheme unlike maths which is more of a science with right answers and more importantly wrong ones

That's definitely true.

In Maths it's 5 marks for 5 specific things. In English it's quite unclear

#14 kaykay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:56 AM

It's only 60% for an A in English?

#15 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:20 PM

As a guide most courses are approx 75 percent for an A, 60 percent for a B, and 50 percent for a C - however, these shift each year depending upon the level of difficulty across the board.
user posted image
user posted image

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (kaykay @ May 26 2004, 12:56 PM)
It's only 60% for an A in English?

It was 64% for an A in English last year and 65% in 2002.

#17 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

kool

#18 catm82

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

I thought that the English exam was far easier than the Maths exam... the questions in the English critical essay paper were fine to me, they fitted with two poems, two prose and one film that I had studied, so I was able to choose which ones I was strongest at... I am actually worse at the interpretation, and pick up more marks in the critical essays! in my prelim I got 15/25 for both essays, but 28/50 for the interpretation... but in the weeks before the exam I managed to get 19/25 for a couple of essays from the 2000 paper and 40/50 for the 2003 interpretation... and a girl in my class got 23/25 for one of her essays, which the teacher had to admit was practically unheard of!
Maths was just hard for me... the exam was exactly what I expected it to be, it was difficult for me and some others in my class. I failed the prelim miserably, mostly from just skipping questions that i didn't know how to do, but this time I answered almost every question... if it was the right answer or the wrong answer, I haven't a clue, I just wrote down something!

#19 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (catm82 @ May 27 2004, 04:45 PM)
Maths was just hard for me... the exam was exactly what I expected it to be, it was difficult for me and some others in my class. I failed the prelim miserably, mostly from just skipping questions that i didn't know how to do, but this time I answered almost every question... if it was the right answer or the wrong answer, I haven't a clue, I just wrote down something!

I'm exactly the same. I got 42% in my prelim and that was with lots of revision. I agree that the paper wasn't too diffcult but on some questions I've made some blonde (no offence meant - please don't take any, it's just an expression) mistakes. Like not realising I was supposed to integrate on the last question in paper II. Duh!

Laura xxx

#20 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

I think I've done better in Maths.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users