Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did the exam go? - HSN forum

How did the exam go?

21 replies to this topic

#1 LilJoey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:53 AM

Hey, Hope you all found the exam ok, i thought the question for paper 1 were really good, easier than previous years however paper 2 Health DME question was a strange one we havent even touched on independent groups!!! but i kinda just made up some BK!!! but thought the question with it were alrite too.
Hope you all got on ok.

And good luck to those who still have some to do!!

#2 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:22 PM

Paper 1 was good for me (I did political systems/voting behaviour, the health one on reducing inequalities and USA), paper 2 was also quite good, never touched on independant groups but it seemed quite self-explanatory.

#3 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:44 PM

Paper 1 was pretty fair.
The DME was a strange one, I was struggling for background knowledge on the NHS. One I had to make up " I know from my background knowledge politicans are very manipulative"- I hope it gives the market a good laugh at least.

#4 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Marty @ May 24 2004, 12:44 PM)
Paper 1 was pretty fair.
The DME was a strange one, I was struggling for background knowledge on the NHS. One I had to make up " I know from my background knowledge politicans are very manipulative"- I hope it gives the market a good laugh at least.

hmm I was told not to intoduce my Background knowledge like that, I done DME 1. Income and wealth, Social Inclusion. My teacher predicted it right. biggrin.gif

For high profile successes for Blacks I used Michael Jakson laugh.gif , Oprah and Tiger

#5 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:10 PM

hey i thot the exam was ok!
The questions in the first paper seemed quite fair except i wrote far too much for the first questoin n nearly ran out of time! I did voting systems, private thingy in the nhs n europe! My second qu on europe isnt too good as i was in a rush!
The DM on health was ok! I havent touched on the subject either n i was struggling for background knowledge too!! Good to no u all found it the same!

#6 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Marty @ May 24 2004, 12:44 PM)
Paper 1 was pretty fair.

My Background Knowlege was
  • Founding Principles (splitting up into different areas)
  • Civil Servants already advise on health (not certain on that tho)
  • Process of how MPs/MSPs can question health policy (PM/FMQs, Debates)

#7 LilJoey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

Oh im so glad i aint the only one who found the second one strange my teacher wasnt impressed with it!! hehe ah well good to see how others felt. a few of the girls in my class never got their essays finished, and then one answered the wrong DME question so hopefully im not the worse in the class!!!

#8 Colingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:46 PM

I thought the exam went ok aswell.

I did Study Theme 4 - The Scottish Parliament Election System and Voting Behaviour. Study Theme 6 - Attempts at reducing inequalities in health and Study Theme 9 - Ethnic Minorities.
Iwas really pleased at how they went - managed to finish them all.

As for the DME I thought the subject was a bit strange but found it ok once I was into it. (I did DME 2) Really just how everyone else felt.

Hope everyone found it ok.

#9 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

I felt paper one was really good, paper 2 was strange and I went for changing over to be run by the boards, I was the only one who did lol dry.gif

#10 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

Paper 1 was okay. I did ST's 1, 6 and 12. The questions were pretty good smile.gif

The DME on health was horrible. I didn't like it sad.gif
@

#11 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

Our school must be strange; we do the Income and Wealth study theme huh.gif The DME for that was OK, but I had some trouble coming up with enough points.

Paper 1 was better than expected; I did 4, 5c and 8 - and with the exception of "Describe the main features of China's political system" blink.gif they were good for me.

#12 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 24 2004, 06:15 PM)
Our school must be strange; we do the Income and Wealth study theme huh.gif

I totally wish we did that instead. I hate healthcare! It's so simple, yet so confusing. And the DME's are often horrible.

"Imagine you are a health policy researcher in a university"

No.

@

#13 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:02 PM

I know, it's always bothered me that we're all over 16, and they have us play make believe in the exam. rolleyes.gif

#14 onlycowdenfanhere

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

Yup, totally agree George, WCHS must be one of the daft schools. Still, it will be good for us, bit of originality - same with the China topic. I did ST 4, B (a) and ST8 (China). Same as George, apart from the "Describe the main features of China's political system" question, everything went AOK!

DME on Income an Wealth was fine. Although, I don't know anybody else who chose to not increase taxes...hope i wasn't the only 1! unsure.gif

#15 Emma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 24 2004, 07:02 PM)
it's always bothered me that we're all over 16, and they have us play make believe in the exam. rolleyes.gif

Our teacher actually told us that the SQA "really like it" when we get into the role in the DME and make it sound like we enjoy pretending to be health researchers or whatever.
I can just picture these people marking the papers and getting really excited because we're all really into our make believe characters. laugh.gif

Exam-wise, paper 1 wasn't too bad but the DME was horrible. I just made up most of my background knowledge. It's nice to know though that most of you guys hadn't done independent boards either.

#16 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 24 2004, 05:15 PM)
Our school must be strange; we do the Income and Wealth study theme huh.gif The DME for that was OK, but I had some trouble coming up with enough points.

Paper 1 was better than expected; I did 4, 5c and 8 - and with the exception of "Describe the main features of China's political system" blink.gif they were good for me.

My school do Income and Wealth.

Yes I struggled for points, though my main points were on unemployment, I also made clear how this will improve social inclusion.

#17 hssc11045

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:23 AM

DME on Income an Wealth was fine. Although, I don't know anybody else who chose to not increase taxes...hope i wasn't the only 1!

Gotta say that the exam was quite fair....I did the electoral systems and voting behaviour, the question bout social inclusion in the income and wealth section and the questions on ethnic minorities in the USA...AND by the way I did the DME on income and wealth and I also chose to not raise taxes, which was strange cause I think every1 chose 2 increase taxes in my group. Its all bout justification though and I think a made a fairly good argument based on the fact it was a broad question I mean it didnt say increase the tax on the rich it was generally therby effecting every1!!!!

#18 Flash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

Did Anyone else do the Decision Making in Central Government essays?

#19 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:39 PM

Were they the first two questions of the first paper? If so, yep.

I thought they were okay; however my school is apparently complaining to the SQA that the questions were stupid because reform has nothing to do with decision making & there hasn't been much reform in recent years.

Oooh-errr.
@

#20 Flash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:01 AM

There has been lots of reform in recent years, it's just not taught. I had to cobble together an answer that I made up there and then lol. Not sure how it went but decision making in central Govt. will be marked less harshly than Voting Behaviour etc, as it's the least popular section!

Modern Studies was officially a much fairer paper than History - Our school had people running out crying. The exam (essays) was so hard, neither the Liberals nor democracy came up - officially the first time that's ever happened. It's now the infamous 2004.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users