Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Who is taking AH Maths this year? - HSN forum - Page 2

Who is taking AH Maths this year?

38 replies to this topic

#21 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

I have been doing splitting into fractions, and algebraic division. The course so far has been really challenging and stimulating - is that the right word. There is no time for messing around in this class.

#22 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jun 19 2005, 12:33 PM)
There is no time for messing around in this class.

Yeah that true, there are 5 outcomes per unit in AH Maths, compared to 4 in Higher! So it's harder, and there's more of it. smile.gif
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#23 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

Apart from the algebraic division (which I think I'm getting) the difficulty of the content does not seem that much harder than higher maths (but it's not easier). In fact the way the class is run it is not that different from higher maths.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#24 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

Yeah I've not long finished the AH Maths course, and to be honest the way it is taught etc isn't exactely different from Higher. A lot of the content isn't too "hard" - a lot of it used to be in the "old" Higher course! Like arithmetic/geometric series, and a lot of the proofs! (Which you don't need to know now! tongue.gif)
Mark

#25 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:48 PM

Proofs....NOOOOOOOOO! My teacher even mentioned 'proof by contradiction'. wtf you know what I mean?

#26 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

I mean like in the old Higher you used to have to learn like the proofs for the sum to n terms of an arithmetic sequence etc.

There are proofs by contradition. Where you start by assuming the opposite, work through it, and something "goes wrong".

There are proofs by induction - where you first show it's true for n=1. Assume it's true for n=k, and then use this to extend it and show true for n=k+1.

The first time you do them you think Arggh! I will never be able to do these! But after you've done a few of them, they're really okay!
Mark

#27 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

I'm doing AH Maths unfortunately. Teachers being an arse though so I'm thinking of dropping it and doing AH Physics instead. It's not like I need either of them but I can't just do 2 AHs. Oh well sad.gif

We've just done product rule/quotient rule/deriving logs and exponentials/partial fractions and we're going on to derivs of derivs. Fun fun fun!

#28 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:07 PM

I don't really like my AH maths teacher and the learning environment is totally different from before. It is too pressurising now. My teacher gives us info and he expects us to be familiar with it straight away. I am a guy, but I prefer female teachers usually but then again some male teachers are okay as well dry.gif

#29 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

OMG, binomial theorem is sooo hard. Too much for my brain

#30 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

seriously there is very little to most of the actualy learnign content in maths

Just read your notes a few times and u will be fine

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#31 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 21 2005, 06:44 PM)
seriously there is very little to most of the actualy learnign content in maths

Just read your notes a few times and u will be fine

View Post

Thanks smile.gif

#32 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

People this year don't seem to be enjoying it as much as we did last year it seems sad.gif I enjoyed the course, even if it did seem a bit..dry at times.

As Dave said, just look over notes / any examples you have and you should do fine!

#33 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:42 PM

its totally dependant on your teacher i think i mean some are just depressing people who have pressuring atmospheres in there classroom. As it happens i like working under pressure i tend to get the best results thatway

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#34 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

I work best under pressure as well but I still felt AH Maths to be a more relaxed atmosphere and we got on well with the teacher, it was good.

#35 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

I found Unit 3 the hardest of them all. Unit 1 teaches you the basics and Unit 2 follows on from that.

#36 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

Yeah I would say Unit 3 was the trickiest of the units. Or more the "Hardest to get to grips with right away". I found the same with Unit 3 of Higher Maths.
Mark

#37 LCaesar

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, watching Scrubs, and making little shapes out of bluetac (I made a Rolling Stones style mouth the other day...it was cool at the time!). <br />I've been obsessed with Green Day for ages, you can't have too much of a good thing.

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

I'm dropping AH Maths weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Not for me, no sirree

Don't talk. Mime is money.IPB Image

#38 ajb2108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

Well guys anyone else loving Adv H Maths lol not me! - We started the course before the summer and realised everyone forgot what we were taught so our teacher is rushing through everything again - oops! Onto differentiation and its starting to make sense again!! blink.gif

#39 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

I would do it if i didn't mess about in 3rd and 4th years leading me to doing only the higher this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users