Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Is It Possible? - HSN forum

Is It Possible?

12 replies to this topic

#1 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

I need to go to another school to study this 3 times a week for a double period(although it will only be 1 and a half by the time i get there) and was wondering if it was a subject which I could possibly go to once a week and colect work and then hand in each week or if it was a really involved AH where the teacher is always needed? The teachers at my school in the computing dept. have been really helpful and although there is no time for me to do it in the dept. they are willing to help me whenever i need it. Do you think it would be possible to do this until about October time when i will be able to drive there instead of getting on 2 buses across the city?

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Certainly - I studied AH Computing two years ago, and I didn't have any time in a class. If you're motivated enough, you should be able to work through Scholar yourself.

Half of the course is a project anyway, so it involves a lot of independent learning and doing your own research.

It also sounds like you'd be able to ask questions and get help from the teachers in your own school, and that would make it even more possible.

#3 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

i assume its computing. its really tough to do just 1ce a week, especially if its ADV... id recommend that u go all the time!!!..

#4 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

I done this course this past year by myself with no formal teaching. The nature of the course means that not much teaching is really needed, everythings contained within the notes. A similiar set up ran when i done the course, i was able to approach teachers within our computing department for help. The project unit is the one section where some guidance and contact is most needed from a teacher, just to help you get round any problems and guide you in the right direction.

If all else fails you can of course come on here and ask for help, theres plenty people who have done the course before willing to help. biggrin.gif

#5 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:47 PM

ok.. mabe i was wrong blush.gif

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:29 AM

It really is possible to do it without any help. Like many on here I did without any formal teaching by our Computing department. We could certainly go up to the teacher and ask him any questions.

The course is changing this year - so the project is only going to be worth 40% and must be a software development of some kind. However scholar is going to be updating it's materials so you'll still be able to work through it yourself.

In addition to your departments help, there are many here on the HSN community who can help, along with the scholar discussion board for the subject!
Mark

#7 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

I also do belive it's achievable in the situation you are in. As this was clearly shown by a girl i know in the year above me (Now 7th year if it existed), that done both AH Physics and AH Music at another school while doing AH Maths at the school i am at. And sha has done well in both subjects and just waits on her results now. Futher to that, every person in my school which has done the AH Computing course has done it without formal teching, and all of them have passed. I hope you are more confident now.

#8 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:52 PM

I think the lowest grade at my school for AH Computing is a B. Last year two people went from a B at Higher Computing, to gain an A in AH Computing.

It's certainly achievable!
Mark

#9 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'm going to definetely go ahead with it now. Having spoken with the teacher who is this year teaching it all from Scholar since the course has changed and it is 3 units like higher and not such a big project(I think thats right but if i Understood wrong could someone explain) it should be fine to learn with minimum help.

Whilst waiting for Scholar though I have to learn the AI unit from Higher since I studied Multimedia last year but I've got 8 free periods to do it for a few weeks and I could do some during summer hols so I should hopefully be fine!

#10 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

There has always been 3 units in AH Computing, as the "Computing Project" was counted as a unit. However there has been a reduction in the value of the project from 50% this year, to 40% from now on. Likely as you said since the project's been made smaller.

A lot of stuff from the Computing Programming sub-section in the old Higher is integrated into the software development unit (eg Binary search, queues, stacks etc).

As for AI, you don't really need to know all that much from Higher to understand the AI unit. I would have a quick read over the Higher notes but that would be all. Holmes last year done AI without having done it at Higher. ( I think tongue.gif)
Mark

#11 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(George @ Jun 6 2005, 10:20 PM)

Certainly - I studied AH Computing two years ago, and I didn't have any time in a class. If you're motivated enough, you should be able to work through Scholar yourself.

Half of the course is a project anyway, so it involves a lot of independent learning and doing your own research...

Yeh, myself and two others learned the course and did our project in our free periods, of course, our teacher was a great help in telling us what to do and by when etc, we could see him if we were stuck anytime.

We met formally with him once a week for a double period.

#12 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

I wish I had done advanced higher computing last year but my school didn't give me the option sad.gif

#13 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

We persuaded our teacher, and thankfully he did some recon and went ahead!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users