Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Edinburgh Undergraduates: 2005 Entry - HSN forum - Page 2

Edinburgh Undergraduates: 2005 Entry

137 replies to this topic

#21 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

Huh, nah I'm self catered. biggrin.gif

Catered would suck, i thought pollock halls were quite a distance from mine.

#22 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

Good stuff!
Most of the residences seem to be in very good locations.
Some people staying at NAP have posted in this thread. smile.gif

Edited by bred, 01 September 2005 - 06:32 PM.

Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#23 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

The Edinburgh University Snow Sports Club web site (I think the less said the better!) has been updated and it says there's a big meet up ("PUBSKI") for fresher's on Thursday 22nd September at Aspen (wherever that is, I don't think they're referring to the one in the US!) at 7.30pm. smile.gif

SNOWSPORT'S CLUB (EUSSC) The biggest and blatantly the best club in the uni, there are about 800- 1000 skiers, boarders and even some (ahem) snowbladers.

Ranging from complete beginners who want to try something new, to liver pickled ex-seasonaires and sponsored riders, we try our best to cater for everyone! It only costs £9 to join.
In the Xmas term we run buses up to the infamous Hillend- the local dryslope, where we run lessons, race training, and freestyle jib sessions for members. We are busy setting up a new 'Learn to ski or board in a day' session early on in the term, so complete beginners can have a proper chance to give it a go at cheap as chips prices. As soon as there is snow we run buses up north to Cairngorm, Nevis, Lecht, Glenshee- wherever the best conditions are. These buses leave at 5am on sunday morning and return in the evening, and the amazing thing is IT ONLY COSTS £1 FOR MEMBERS! Then all you have to pay for is your lift pass, and ski hire. We also run a couple of weekend trips during Easter term, staying in a hostel in nethy bridge. Usual cost is about £20 pp, and the club pays for all the drink! We have our own equipment which we tech ourselves and rent out at ridiculously low prices for trips up north and abroad. New kit last year included Rome and Nitro Boards, LINE Pro-models skis, Rossi Scratch and Bandit 1 skis- basically some seriously nice kit! We also have our own clothing line with funky new designs, which will be on show at the freshers fair and available to buy at sign up. We run 3 trips to the alps each year- one at christmas (probably to Tignes), and 2 at Easter: 1 to Val D'Isere, and the other to BUSC- the British Uni's Snowsports Championships (not just for racers- this is the most fun and debauchery you'll experience at uni!) All inclusive prices include transport, accomodation and lift pass and usually cost about £300- £380 per person (depending on trip). Apart from skiing we run a massive social callendar through the year, and we probably do a lot more drinking than riding at the end of the day! Every thursday we meet in the pub (venue undecided at time of print), where we sign up new members, and take trip bookings. It's £1.25 a pint for members. We run pub skis (Pub golf with a piste map), party buses, and fancy dress prize nights where we give away everything from t-shirts and dvd's to free places on the trips to the alps. Come and find out more at the fresher's fair. Follow the tunes, we'll be at the back of the sports hall with a dj. Sign up will be wed and thurs of first week of term in Potterrow from 12-4pm.

Edit: The site seems to have been greatly updated over the last few days. Here's one page of many that is new:
http://www.squareroot7.co.uk/Events/Trips/BUSC.html
Sounds qualiteee!

Edited by bred, 02 September 2005 - 11:11 PM.

Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#24 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:05 PM

Yeh, i was looking at that. Me and a friend plan on going! tongue.gif

Uni is going to be soo much better than school!!

#25 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:05 AM

Cool, I got my fresher's pack this morning! smile.gif

Some potential highlights (unfortunately I'm not going to be in Edinburgh on the 15th or 16th because I'm going to my sister's wedding):

Saturday 10 September
Pleasance Welcome Party - Pleasance, Cabaret Bar - 6 PM to 1 AM

Sunday 11 September
Beach Party - Potterrow, Venue - 10 PM to 3 AM

Monday 12 September
Comedy Live - Pleasance Theatre - 10 PM to 1 AM

Wednesday 14 September
Edgar Freshers' Party - Teviot Row House, Underground - 8 PM to 3 AM

Thursday 15 September
Different Class ft. Beta Band and special guest Edith Bowman - Potterrow, Venue - 10 PM to 3 AM

Friday 16 September
Bodyrockers Live - Potterrow, Venue - 10 PM to 3 AM

Saturday 17 September
Official Freshers' Ball - Teviot Row House, Terrace Bar - 9 PM to 3 AM

Sunday 18 September
Acoustic Night - Counting House - 8 PM

The freshers' welcoming ceremony is in the McEwan Hall on Monday 12 September at 2:15 PM.

#26 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

Anyone fancy joining the canoe club? smile.gifsmile.gif

I'm a beginner but I've been kayaking a few times with my sister (who is great) and fancy getting into it at uni.

Come on! I don't think there's an adrenalin rush like the one you get kayaking down white water. The club is apparently very beginner friendly and there are some rivers you will be out on in no time even if you've never done it before.

Great website as well, definitely check it out!

#27 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

Tomorrow is going to be boring:

Morning:
Pick up university card at Adam House.
Go buy Scrubs S2 DVD from somewhere in Princes Street
Get Lunch

Afternoon:
Pick up registration forms from Adam House
Fill out registration forms
Hand in Registration forms at Adam House

#28 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:35 PM

Was anyone at the Preview Party last night? It was a great atmosphere. biggrin.gif
I think I'll be at the Beach Party ce soir...

Still need to get Resnet confirmation.

#29 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

I wasn't there last night and I doubt i'll go tonight either (Don't have a way of getting in or back home unless I pay about £60 for taxis). sad.gif

#30 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

I'm in the uni library just now. I forgot to turn my phone off and wow, that was embarrassing!
I've met all my flat mates now and it's a relief to know they're not arseholes!

Edit: Got Resnet sorted now. smile.gif

Edited by bred, 12 September 2005 - 02:23 PM.

#31 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

I'll probably at The Craggs from 6pm onwards tonight (accross from The Commonwealth Pool and Pollock Halls). Any of you up for the scheduled football/frisbee in the next few days?

#32 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

I'm at Teviot tonight to watch whatever live band is on biggrin.gif

#33 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

I was in Teviot Underground for a bit last night. smile.gif Music was ok, not bad number of people although a lot were at that school disco.
Heading to the sports fair in a bit.

As well as 20 credits in each of Physical and Human Geography I'm doing 40 credits in European History, 20 credits in Politics and 20 credits in Meteorology: Weather and Climate. smile.gif

#34 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

I'm at the library at the moment. Last night we all ended up at Centro, and it looks like we're going there again tonight. biggrin.gif

#35 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:37 AM

So last night the plan was don't stay up too late Brendan cos you have to get up early to catch a train to Kirkcaldy. Ended up going to bed about 3:20 AM and up at 6:45 (heading off in a minute) :|
Went to a gathering in Flat 11 in SCS last night (which was great, met people from France, Greece, USA, Canada, etc) then went to Potterrow. Tuesday night there will be a gathering in Flat 23 (location tbc) because a couple of people have their birthdays then. The more that attend the merrier. smile.gif

#36 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

I've ended up in the Pantry on the 2nd Floor of Grant House at Pollock Halls for drinking cause some of my friends are only 17 and can't get past the bouncers that are sometimes on the doors at The Craggs and Centro! pinch.gif

#37 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

hey ho, been at the teviot a few times and had a few parties in various flats... I however have a very nasty cold. I just got back from live jazz as the pleasance which was awesome!

Oh, and my flat is crap and i want to change. sad.gif

#38 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

I'm not out again till tomorrow night, which is an all nighter (Despite the fact that I'm working on Monday). So chances are we're finishing the left over drink at my mates, then we're going to Centro, till about 6am, then I need to find some place to sleep, wake up at 9, get home, drink lots of coffee and water, then go to work. I'm sure it will be fun!

#39 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Just back from my sister's wedding up Glen Nevis which was quality. Heading out to the Freshers' Ball in a bit which should be good fun.
I forgot to bring back my camera (left it at my parents house in Kirkcaldy on the way back) which is a shame cos there's a tasty sunset getting underway!

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:50 AM

I never made it to the ceilidh - never realised it finished so early. Teviot was still good fun (ska band in Underground biggrin.gif) and I met up with a couple of girls from the flat across the floor from me which was good. They say they're going to get something of a flat party going tomorrow (38/25 SCS).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users