Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prefects - HSN forum - Page 5

Prefects

117 replies to this topic

#81 RLBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

OK, thread resurrection, but still, this school cracks me up.

All S6 are expected to become members of the S6 Team, else you don't get to go to the Graduation, get a yearbook or sit in the hall during free periods (wow). Oh, or go to the S6 Induction at Abernethy (an outdoor centre). All of these are things you are expected to pay for, except sitting in the hall.

You are also expected to carry out corridor duty - what one poster referred to as guarding the entrances to the school. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to speak strongly, let alone use reasonable force. No, we have to write their name on a bit of paper if they don't do what we ask. So it normally goes like this:

Me: Can I help you?
S4: I'm going to the library.
Me: It's closed.
S4: That's crap, it should be open.
Me: Well, it isn't. Can you go outside, please?
S4: No, I need to speak to my English teacher.
Me: Who's you English teacher?
S4: Umm, Mrs Jones [fictional]
Me: Mrs Jones isn't in school. Now, can you get out please?
S4: <barges past> I'm going to the toilet.
Me: You've got to go around the outside.
S4: That's F***ing S**t. Get out of my F***ing way!
Me: Right, what's your name?
S4: Mike Hammond [we both know Mike Hammond is 6' 4" and the model pupil...]

And then, at the end of the year, we're also expected to write a report and go for interview, to decide whether we've "passed" or not - in the meantime, having done work for nowt that the school would've had to pay a member of staff several hundred pounds for.

Incidentally, extra duties count in your favour (and are rewarded with stars), but you've got to find out about opportunities to win them from SMT. Unfortunately, we've got one member of the team (universally hated) who is on first-name terms with the SMT, and accordingly has gotten every single star, whilst us mere mortals get none. That's the worst case, but the whole interview and report thing is clearly open to bias - one member of SMT determines your fate alone.

If you get a "Distinction" pass, that's awarded at the annual prizegiving, and they claim it's equivalent to prefect status in other schools. Yes, that's right, they appoint prefects AFTER they've finished their duties...

#82 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

We have prefects in S5 and S6. The Head Boy and Head Girl is just a shambles though, it is a popularity contest. The annoying thing is that teacher votes count more than pupil votes. So someone who gets more pupil votes than their opponent but less teacher votes will become Vice Head. I don't think thats very fair. prefects just have to do stair and lunch duty apart from that one parents evening which isn't all that bad...

But the prefect trip to Glenshee is always fun. I fell down a HUGE hill it was so much fun!!

#83 crazycat89

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

at my school our prefects are called leaders...u can only become one by being nominated by a certain number of your class teachers from S4.
the reason for people being chosen is in recognition of their hard work through their standard grades, but we get no real reward by becoming a leader. Instead we're made to give up our lunchtimes, to stand by the stairways doors to make sure no little brats throw things off the balconies.

They say that becoming a leader is a "privilege", but as far as i can tell, there are no benefits from becoming one... u have to put up with cr*p from first years who think they own the place..u have to give up time at your own discos to make sure no unwanted visitors get inside, and we dont even get a common room because people from previous years mucked up our chances of that....

Becoming School Captain is more or less the same : u get voted for by the teachers, u have to turn up at all parents night's and school events.. the upside would be that u get treated with more respect than us common mortals.

in conclusion, becoming a "prefect" is the same as slave labour...

Rant Over

smile.gif

(PS .. Sorry for going on too much..)

#84 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

i agree with you all the way you are used as bouncers in schools is outrageous i mean most teachers cant control the morons so why would you be able to. I always wanted to make a big deal out of it and refuse to do it but
i kinda wimped out. Thats not to say i did them, just i didnt make it obvious that i didnt do them

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#85 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

Wow, I never realised how lucky we are when it comes to prefecting.

The only duties that we'll have will be having a class that we have to go to for an hour a week for PSE and then for reg every day

And that's it...of course, if we want, we can go and help teachers with classes, but that's not compulsory

#86 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

The only benifit of being one is... uhhh... there has to be some sort of benifit. Oh, If I'd been doing Millenium volinteers last year I would have got 3 hours 40 minutes per week for the first 2 terms and then 2 hours 35 minutes the other 2 terms. Which would look really good on my cv. But no one did that this year.

#87 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

we don't even have prefects or head boy/girl!
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

#88 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

At my school, they had S5 prefects and S6 prefects, you had to interview to become one. In S6 you interviewed again if you wanted to be a house captain, there was two for each house, so we had 12 in all. Prefect duties were much the same as you would expect diner, corridor, library. It wasnt worth it though because you got nothing back from it, and the younger ones in S1-S4 these days are such little buggers. They are so cheeky, just swear at you and just try and make the stuff harder than it really needs to be. Thank god i m at uni now lol

#89 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

I've decided, I'm going to be an evil no mercy prefect next year. We were nicer than other years before us, and what did we get? Worst first year that I can remember. Next years WILL learn proper respect.

#90 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

you go girl!!!

if you get the chance, kill them. smile.gif

#91 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

If you need some tips on killing them just ask wink.gif

#92 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

I'm sure I could think of some ways to kill them. Any ways of not getting caught?

#93 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Jun 3 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

I'm sure I could think of some ways to kill them. Any ways of not getting caught?

poison wink.gif

#94 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

well i dont really know, i am looking back at what happened in my school. there was a first year boy that was kicking a dog in the school grounds in the morning. One of my friends at the time basically assulted him quite badly police got involved but nothing really happened to him.

Another incident involving a hockey stick where nothing was really done either.

Wasnt my school fun!

#95 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

I would would never give tips on killing

(Edited through the intelligence of the next post)

#96 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

obviously though we wouldnt want to turn this thread into a one stop stop for the bully or there victim to get tutorials in the art of murder

#97 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 3 2006, 11:10 PM) View Post

obviously though we wouldnt want to turn this thread into a one stop stop for the bully or there victim to get tutorials in the art of murder

No, of course we wouldn't.
Though we prefects (or most non-prefects) could probably all think up some method.

My school is fairly hard on people beating each other up. I suppose thats probably a good thing. dry.gif A prefect who lifted up a first year to move him off the steps almost got de-braided. They would have been except the head boy&girl and assistant head boys&girls presuaded the heads that the prefect hadn't actually hurt the first year.

#98 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

that's scary after reading this thread, today at our induction our teachers mentioned introducing the prefect system ! rolleyes.gif
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

#99 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:09 AM

I'm heading out for me 1st day of prefect training today...and the teachers are giving us a "proposition" about S6 social areas....and showing us our new, special S6 blazers and ties....damn last years S6 for suggesting that mad.gif

#100 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:56 AM

dont you like the idea of new ties. I voiced that as an idea for my school when i was in S6. Hutchie have it so obviously i wanted it tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users