Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prefects - HSN forum - Page 6

Prefects

117 replies to this topic

#101 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

we have special ties for 5th and 6th year smile.gif
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

#102 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 7 2006, 08:56 AM) View Post

dont you like the idea of new ties. I voiced that as an idea for my school when i was in S6. Hutchie have it so obviously i wanted it tongue.gif

i don't have anything against the ties, it's more the blazers;

QUOTE(Rector of Oban High School @ 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005)
I draw the line at blazers. I don't agree with them in a school as rural as this

QUOTE(Rector of Oban High School @ 2006)
We're introducing blazers this year. I think we need to look more business-like and less scruffy

If she hadn't said all the way through that she didn't want blazers and then made this U-turn this year, then i would have been fine with them

[/rant]

#103 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

There were special S6 ties last year with class of 06 on. They got to design them which was quite good, although there did end up being mainly black and there were a few funeral jokes. But they were real ties, I hope we get them this year.

But all years at my school have to wear blazers and ties. I wouldn't mind normal blazers but we have special 100+ hairy square blazers that are too hot in summer, act as a wind tunnel and soak up water when it rain. And then smell of wet dog. I have a theory they are made out of dog hair. They're horrible and aren't worth the money. It's just a normal school and thats expensive for anyone.
And then prefects get the fun of sewing a few metres of braid (white string) on next to the other braid. It took me hours and hours.

Count yourself lucky if you get a normal sort of blazer.

#104 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

my (old) school has:

school jumper and red poloshirt for 1st and 2nd years
black school tie with white shirts for 2nd and 3rd years (and blazer if wanted)
maroon school tie with black or white shirt for 5th and 6th years (and blazer if wanted)

Prefects had a prefect badge, school captains had "School Captain" or "Head Boy / Girl" written on the tie, along with a badge. Also, like ice's school, they have a special blazer with a white braid. These aren't often worn though - only on special occasions like concerts. Half hte school dont even know they exist actually!

I didn't wear the captain badge. or the blazer. I got to keet my maroon tie. And anyways, most of the time I had to wear a tshirt over my uniform to protect meself from the dirty art department.

School uniform is compulsory in school. Especially for seniors - got sent home if not wearing a tie ohmy.gif

#105 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

Apparently while we were away our school is having a crack down on wrongly worn uniform. Or at least some of the teachers are picking on certain people. No arm bands or up turned collars but slutty mini skirts/hot pants seem to be allowed. rolleyes.gif

Had my prefect trip yesterday. It was great fun but I'm covered in bruises from falling over on the ice so often.

#106 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

we once got a letter sent out saying "No skin allowed" laugh.gif

meaning, no short skirts or skimpy tops!

pshhhh

#107 Guest_Carly :)_*

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

hey

i've just went into 6th year and i was thinking of applying for prefect

thing is the chances of me getting it are very slim mellow.gif

i've been suspended twice in the last 2 years for voicing my opinions and i think it will go against me

i want to be a prefect because i am very out spoken and i'm sick of all the smart people who are quiet getting them because teachers vote for them

they don't even do anything
and when i look at people who are running for captain
(equivlent of head boy/girl)

i just makes me mad to think they are going to do nothing for the school
or anything the pupils want

we had an amazing captain and 2 vice captains this year
and i doubt anyone could top it

would any of you guys be willing to help me with my application form ?

carly smile.gif
xxx

#108 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

being suspended will mark against you

As a fellow quiet pupil (back in the day....many many days ago) i feel you are being unfair. However, either way prefects will never make a difference or bring in chances to a school. The management can and will just ignore anything they do not agree with. I know i sound cynical but i have good reason to but i admire your willing to make a difference

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#109 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

If you go quiet but outspoken, it can work. wink.gif

My wee sister got made a Prefect today, and she's only 5th year.

I'm happy for her, can see her being a captain next year. She'll be better for it than I was.

#110 Guest_Carly :)_*

• Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

hey sorry dave i didn't mean for the comment about quiet people to come across like tht

my best friend is really quiet and smart (dux of the school) and was vice captain and i no he had alot to offer

i don't no if i really agree with ur statement about prefects not being able to make a diffrence

i think aslong as whoever is prefects

do their best
its all that can happen

i was meant to be going to uganda in the middle of august for 6 weeks

how ever i cannot go anymore as i cna't afford to miss 6 weeks of school

i have all motivation to want to help as many people here as i cannot get going to the street childrens rehbilitation center there

i feel tht by making it to prefect if i did

that i'd do almost anything to make a diffence

i do have the label of being the best
negotiator that is in my school

were u prefect in ur school?

carly x

#111 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

at my school basically everyone from S4 onwards was a prefect. The positions of head boy and deputy head boy were also decided by the head teacher on his own so everything was out of our control. With a new head this has now changed at my school where interviews and such like are employed.

When i was in S6 i didnt get an senior prefect position but my friends did and i got them to try and get rid of this stupid idea of prefects patrolling corridors and toilets like some sort of milita force. Basically we were ignored it was a case of do as your told or get out of my school. Ahhhhhhhhh the memories

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#112 equality

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Carly :) @ Jun 7 2007, 07:48 PM) View Post
hey

i've just went into 6th year and i was thinking of applying for prefect

thing is the chances of me getting it are very slim mellow.gif

i've been suspended twice in the last 2 years for voicing my opinions and i think it will go against me

i want to be a prefect because i am very out spoken and i'm sick of all the smart people who are quiet getting them because teachers vote for them

they don't even do anything
and when i look at people who are running for captain
(equivlent of head boy/girl)

i just makes me mad to think they are going to do nothing for the school
or anything the pupils want

we had an amazing captain and 2 vice captains this year
and i doubt anyone could top it

would any of you guys be willing to help me with my application form ?

carly smile.gif
xxx

Hiya carolanne!
From reading your comment i can see many reasons why you wouldnt be a very good prefect or captain. You are being very unfair and seem to be almost against "quiet and smart" people. This can be classified as a type of discrimination, it just like someone smart saying that stupid people make them mad. Also how can u say that quiet and smart people are going to do nothing? - this is narrow mindedness. However i do find it rather ironic that you have a friend who is smart and quiet and you know he had a lot to offer. This shows that maybe if you got to know some other very smart and quiet people you may discover that they too have a lot to offer. Many other people may be in the same possition as your friend.

I know exactly the type of people you are referring to in the comment. Many of the people going for captain have probably been 5th year prefects and worked very hard to get where they are. One quality a prefect or captain cannot possess is jelousy so i would advice you to focus completely on your application and not worry about who will get captain. If the captains chosen last year by the teachers were very good i am sure that the captains this year will be very good too. I think that the role of captain should be given to the person who will be best at it - regardless of how smart or stupid you are. Also someone who is willing to give up there free time and dedicate themselves. I have been a prefect and know how time consuming it is. Captain should treat everyone equaly and be willing to listen to everyone's point of view, even if they dont agree with it! Do you fit this description??

Even though in my opininon you should not get captain, i still wish you the best of luck with your application because you do seem to have the inner drive however you need to channel it in a positive way wink.gif

#113 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

As an old prefect:

I've yet to see anyone make a difference as a prefect who wouldn't have done it by not being a prefect. In fact, being a prefect meant Giving up all my lunch times and breaks in order to shout at kids who don't give a damn, by having some free time to actually do things I could have made a difference instead of being treated like a slave by my school. Yes I understand the teachers had it hard too, and they need a lunch break, but you know, so do 6th years.

By all means, try and make a difference. Never give up trying to make a difference. But don't see being a prefect as some pass to making a difference, it isn't going to change anything. Except maybe make you old and cynical early like me.

#114 sweetchick01

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

hey!!

u should apply and i know u will make a good prefect if u get it.
do have 2 agree that quite and smart people do have lots of great ideas to give the school. i have sooooo many and am applying to be captain.
i know that captain and 2 vices this year were great but we will be as good if not better.

ohh and by the way i am at ur school and u do know me.

Sweety

#115 bmkf

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:03 PM

We have a rather... unusual, but good, system at our school
All the positions are more or less decided by teachers and pupils votes. Each teacher and each pupil (who is going into 6th year) get to vote for 3 girls and 3 boys.

The votes are accumulated and totalled and the top 4 boys and top 4 girls (known as the 'Top 8') are interviewed and assigned to the following positions

Head Boy
Head Girl
Deputy Head Boy
Deputy Head Girl
School Captain (Entertainments)
School Captain (School Service)
School Captain (PR/Community)
School Captain (Sports)

Then we have 4 House Captains per House, so that's twelve in total. These are the next most prestigious positions and go to the people with the next most votes.

Each of the School Captains has 2 Vice Captains, which are positions which go to the people with the next most votes.

Any questions?

#116 floss

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:<br />

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

In our school, if you were a prefect in 5th year you're considered to be in the running for Head/Vice Head Boy/Girl, without applying separately.

I wasn't chosen, although I've been told that I was in 3rd place, just behind the girl who was made Vice. (I have a lot of qualms about various thing to do with this so I'm not even going to go there!) Anway, the point I'm trying to make is that I still really want to make a difference to our school, and if that means letting someone else take the credit for what I've done, well, so be it.

I'm sure you do have the qualities of a captain, but it's important to remember the responsibility that comes with it, not just the things you can see on the surface.

So, if you aren't chosen, try not to be too downhearted, and make the most of still being able to make a difference. As the greatness that is Tesco says - every little helps. Good luck wink.gif
♪ Hug a musician - they never get to dance ♪
Facebook
Bebo

#117 La_Tua_Cantante_x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Heyahh =]

I'm a prefect this year!
I was so chuffed when I found out =D

Ours is down to a class vote, then a teachers vote, then the headteacher picks out of the people who do well that far smile.gif

As for Head Girl, I wouldnt even consider going in for it to be honest!
In my school it's just a popularity contest! tongue.gif

Lx

#118 Captain_Strat

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Guitars
    Reading
    Books
    Twilight
    Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Labradors
    CSI
    NCIS
    The Mentalist
    Life On Mars

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

I got Music Prefect smile.gif Sooooo happy biggrin.gif
I'd could never go for head girl, to much speaking involved, plus the pupil vote goes on popularity.
Our school has special 6th year ties. They're really cool. We also have blazers for 5th and 6th year that don't fit sad.gif I bought mine from a different place so it actually fits me.
In 6th year, we're now getting blue beading on the blazer for prefects, a strip in the colour of the house for House Captains and a white strip for head boy/girl.
10th Doctor + Don Flack + Greg Sanders + Patrick Jane + Riley Poole + Gene Hunt + Abby Sciuto + Jasper Hale = General Geeky Awesomeness
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users