Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Strange Names - HSN forum - Page 3

Strange Names

65 replies to this topic

#41 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

I think it's pronounced "foo-ket".
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#42 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

That's what I meant, fu as in "kung fu." laugh.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#43 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

As opposed to poocat? Hmmm...

#44 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

at the end of will and grace when the names come up someones called rip torn!?!

#45 LCaesar

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, watching Scrubs, and making little shapes out of bluetac (I made a Rolling Stones style mouth the other day...it was cool at the time!). <br />I've been obsessed with Green Day for ages, you can't have too much of a good thing.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Yeah! And then there's a guy in Blazing Saddles called Slim Pickens smile.gif
Don't talk. Mime is money.IPB Image

#46 sai

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

there's a lassie in first year at my school called Rosie Day
maybe her parents thought it would be a laugh to call her that.....

#47 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

I dunno why I find this funny....but..

Billy Jeans.

Ahahahaa a boy who was in my old school. I didnt think it was real, but I found his bebo profile! laugh.gif

#48 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

LMAO

#49 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

A girl I met in America was from Gaylord, Michigan! She went to Gaylord High School!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#50 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

I served someone at work called Chin Xin Yin or something like that. Best rhyming name ever. It made me laugh. Easily amused, though.

#51 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Guy who wrote a chemistry book, i think its for standard grade, and his names Norman Conquest. I honestly thought that was a joke till i seen it.

#52 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hahaha that's awesome.

#53 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

There are many people in Uist with the name 'Donald MacDonald' - very common.

Weird though, on my Dad's side alone, my uncles name seem to be repeated;

Firstly there is Donald John, then there is a John (well Iain), then an Angus, and also a Donald Angus..guessing the grandparents weren't that creative!!

But when my Auntie was pregnant, my Uncle wanted to name the child Innes if it was a boy - Innes MacInnes. Thankfully my Auntie said no..and it was a normal name..Joseph.
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#54 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(maria @ Feb 15 2007, 10:16 AM) View Post

Firstly there is Donald John, then there is a John (well Iain), then an Angus, and also a Donald Angus..guessing the grandparents weren't that creative!!

But when my Auntie was pregnant, my Uncle wanted to name the child Innes if it was a boy - Innes MacInnes. Thankfully my Auntie said no..and it was a normal name..Joseph.

Yeah my dad is John Angus (Iain Innes), his sister is Joan and his brother is Angus. So thats Joan, John Angus and Angus. *snigger*
And if I was a boy I would have been either Iain or Innes...haha, it just goes on. Not a bad thing I suppose.

Innes is a great name. Unless you get some foreign weirdo who says "Einz".

We were studying Gaelic names in Gaelic Culture the other week (we are studying D¨thchas just now - really interesting smile.gif ) . Some people in the class just couldnt get their head around names like Donald MacDonald and Iver MacIver and Innes MacInnes! My teacher (from Lewis) was saying that when she was wee, a girl from the mainland (which was oh so far away!) called Jamima joined her class. Apparently my teacher used to stare at Jamima for ages in absolute AWE because of such an "exotic" name!! laugh.gif

#55 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Feb 15 2007, 06:16 PM) View Post
QUOTE(maria @ Feb 15 2007, 10:16 AM) View Post

Yeah my dad is John Angus (Iain Innes), his sister is Joan and his brother is Angus. So thats Joan, John Angus and Angus. *snigger*
And if I was a boy I would have been either Iain or Innes...haha, it just goes on. Not a bad thing I suppose.

Innes is a great name. Unless you get some foreign weirdo who says "Einz".

We were studying Gaelic names in Gaelic Culture the other week (we are studying D¨thchas just now - really interesting smile.gif ) . Some people in the class just couldnt get their head around names like Donald MacDonald and Iver MacIver and Innes MacInnes! My teacher (from Lewis) was saying that when she was wee, a girl from the mainland (which was oh so far away!) called Jamima joined her class. Apparently my teacher used to stare at Jamima for ages in absolute AWE because of such an "exotic" name!! laugh.gif

I know exactly what your teacher means! It still seems to happen here, for example, when my nephew was born, he was named 'Lennon' (not after the Celtic player!!), my Nana could not get over the name..to this day (baring in mind she has had 5 years to get her head round the name), she looks at him in awe, and asks, "What's wrong with Alasdair/Domhnall/Iain/Eardsaidh..better than 'Lennn-on' and such likes. You can't even translate it to Gaidhlig." laugh.gif laugh.gif
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#56 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

The Irish are just as bad. They're all either John, Johnny, William, Billy or Willy. Or Samuel if someone is feeling creative. The girls names are a bit more creative.

#57 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Feb 20 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post
The Irish are just as bad. They're all either John, Johnny, William, Billy or Willy. Or Samuel if someone is feeling creative. The girls names are a bit more creative.

What? That's not true... What about Aidan, Ciaran or Connor etc?

#58 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

There's loads of Irish here. And tons of them are in my celtic class...AND two of them ARE called Connor and Aidan! ohmy.gif

#59 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

Ok, the ones related to me. I think they make sure to have a John, a William and a Samuel in every generation. If there aren't enough boys born they get two names out of that mixture.

#60 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

So, you're talking about the Irish names of your family, rather than the Irish in general!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users