Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Personal Study - HSN forum

Personal Study

31 replies to this topic

#1 Tracy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location:Erm..My House, In Tranent, Near Edinburgh, SCOTLAND!
  • Interests:Being me

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

This year i am doing a repeat of higher english, i have decided to read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Its really short and it wont talke long to read smile.gif . So far it has lots of character and theme.... i think that it should be easy to write about.

So whats everyone else reading?

Trace x x x

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

I had done Fahrenheit 451... best thing about it is that you get lots of criticism online.

#3 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:golf, food<br />im amazing and sexy :)

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

gd luck guys on higher english this yr
try and enjoy it
its actually quite easy if u pick the books, plays, poem u enjoy
User Banned.

#4 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

Easy?! I never ever found it easy! I wouldnt find it easy if i read winnie the pooh for my personal study!

HATE ENGLISH!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#5 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:57 PM

Hope everyone has fun with higher english. I done "To Kill a Mockingbird" but personally I just made an essay, done it and passed it.

I suppose if you are doing your personal study you can read it early a few times laugh.gif and then it will leave you woh less work.

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

Or you could steal an essay.

ot that i condone stealling, but for an english essay i do!! tongue.gif

#7 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(YIC @ Jun 3 2005, 09:57 PM)
Hope everyone has fun with higher english. I done "To Kill a Mockingbird" but personally I just made an essay, done it and passed it.

I suppose if you are doing your personal study you can read it early a few times laugh.gif and then it will leave you woh less work.

View Post

we did that book in sg and i love it
and the good thing is if u choose to do it there are so many questions which would apply smile.gif

#8 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(johnmallan @ Jun 3 2005, 10:33 PM)
Or you could steal an essay.

ot that i condone stealling, but for an english essay i do!! tongue.gif

View Post

well u only really need to change round a few words and it looks like your own lol smile.gif biggrin.gif

#9 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

I did The Smoke Jumper - By Nicholas Evans (the dude who wrote Horse Whisperer)
its cos its like the only book where i relate to one character (not even the whole book).. but it worked and i got a gd mark!

#10 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:49 PM

I did Tietam Brown, by Mick Foley, for my personal study. I wrote it while in Italy, thinking we had to hand it in after the summer. Turns out that it was something else, and I got confused sad.gif

Still... Got a good mark for my personal study. It was one of the easiest parts of the course for me.

I'd recommend picking a book that has plenty of content. Loads more to write about that way, you get marked on what you write about, not what you miss out. That way you can pick and chose what you want to focus on and its much easier. Requires a little more time on reading a book though, depends where your priorities are I guess.

#11 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Paul @ Jun 3 2005, 06:39 PM)
Easy?! I never ever found it easy! I wouldnt find it easy if i read winnie the pooh for my personal study!

HATE ENGLISH!

View Post

With you Paul! I hate English and had to work so hard last year. I HOPE I have passed.

#12 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'm doing "the Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger with regards to our personal study our school and thinking about doing the spoken responce as opposed to the written one this year biggrin.gif We have a new PT and he is overhauling the department completely (have had acting PT's for about 4 years - about 6 of them) and he thinks that the spoken responce might work out better than the written responce
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#13 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

i did Trainspotting which is amazingly easy cant believe it actually passes for higher

i would defintely recommned t rolleyes.gif
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

I did "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil" by Faye Weldon!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#15 xx_katie_xx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

hey everyone! This is my first year doing higher English and for my personal study Im doing 'The Lovely Bones'! I read this book and really enjoyed it! Is anyone else doin this or have any ideas on what to focus on??
xxx smile.gif

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

Last year i read "The Reckoning" (originally called The Bones in the Womb) by Patricia Tyrell. I was crap at english, never enjoyed the subject much and I found it really hard. It was a crappy book I chose and I never finished it. For the actual essay i made up a bundle of quotes but i passed first time biggrin.gif

Do not follow my example or you wil endup with a C or a fail.

I suppose for higher english - you really need to get in to what you are reading and try and enjoy it. smile.gif

#17 CatWoman

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

I did 'The Woman Who Walked into Doors' by Roddy Doyle. I loved English. Try and enjoy it!

Good luck! tongue.gif

#18 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

im repeating english as well but ive already got my Units etc so wont need to do another personal study
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#19 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(xx_katie_xx @ Aug 24 2005, 05:43 PM)
hey everyone! This is my first year doing higher English and for my personal study Im doing 'The Lovely Bones'! I read this book and really enjoyed it! Is anyone else doin this or have any ideas on what to focus on??
xxx smile.gif

View Post

I did that last year and focused on the way that everyone coped with death in different ways, but you could focus on the title that would have been my second choice

#20 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

Hi! This is my first year of doing Higher English and Im doing Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen but am a bit worried I wont produce a good essay. Anyway good luck to everyone else doing Higher English this year!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users