Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prelim - HSN forum

Prelim

18 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:34 PM

I have mine tommorow! My first prelim!!

I feel that I can do well in it tho! Need to prush up on some of that double angle fomulae stuff, the trickier examples...

We were using a "Practice Papers for Higher Maths" book for in-class revision and it has proved to be a very worthwhile text if anyone is thinking of buying any revision guides...

Oh well wish me luck :D
Mark

#2 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:32 PM

Good Luck :D
Hope you do or did well...
I havnt had my prelims yet, and am not really lookin 4ward 2 em.
:unsure:
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:59 PM

It went quite well! :)

I was really pleased with the paper, I had revised lots for the prelim!! And I think it payed off, I honestly think I have an A or a B. So am really pleased.

Won't be next tuesday.... ENGLISH! :o
Mark

#4 bastardmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:02 AM

After glancing over the first paper (non calc.) all my hopes of even scraping a C were shot down in flames. Just hope I can find the motivation to study more before the final exam ...

... Damnit motivation, where are you!?

Oh well. :)

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:27 PM

Hey!

Sparky - got any hints about the Maths Prelim?>

Just Done my English Prelim - it was sooo hard!!

:unsure:

Ally

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:08 PM

Well my only tips would be to work through as many past papers or practice paper questions as you can.
It was a made up paper so there would be no point in telling you any questions, apart from they were like many of the past paper questions.

Have you any tips about the english paper?
Mark

#7 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:24 PM

What prelim is it for English?
Close Reading?
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:05 PM

Well, both were as hard as each other.

I don't know if you will do the same paper but our close reading was on the views on married couples and feminism. It was a newspaper article.

The critical essay ; I buggered that one up. In class we are studying Death Of A Salesman and 1984 so I done my essays on them. The questions were like choose a play where at one point the main character is misleading ( somthing like that - it was on friday how am i supposed to remember :P ) . Anyway there was also a question on the plays like choose a play where the character is pessimestic (somethin to do with pessimistic) and also another 1 was a play where you feel sympathy for the character and how this is continued throughout the play (i done that 1) . The novel section there were q's like, choose a novel which contains the dark side of humanity and how this theme is continued and others which i can't remember.

Hope its helped

#9 Azwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:54 PM

Hello, I new. Anyway, I am sitting for my Maths exam (prelim) in two weeks. Wish me luck.

#10 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:37 PM

After studying Credit at SG, and getting a 3 for the final exam, I took Int2 last year. This year i'm sitting the higher, and am finding it extremely difficult.

Our prelim, which we had last monday, was very hard - paper 1 wasn't bad, but paper 2 was deplorable.

I don't know how much everyone's been told about the exam board adding more marks into the papers this year, but it was certainly the case in our prelim. We were told that all the Scottish teachers and centres were unhappy that we were being examined on such a narrow area of topics (only 100 marks worth), so decided to increase the amount of marks available to 125.

Whichever company made our prelim actually made a mistake when making the paper - according to the marking scheme there should be 125 marks worth of questions, but the question paper only says there are 124 marks. When you count up the marking scheme there are only 124 marks, so everyone's scripts had to be re-marked.

For my paper 1, I got 26/55, and for paper 2 I got 27/69. These are dreadful grades but i'm still pleased about it - it's encouraging - 43% is still a good mark considering our prelim was more difficult than usual, and I'm not just saying that - half of the top class failed totally! According to my sources, the lowest mark this year was around 20%, the highest being 97% (1 person from the 160 people sitting).

Don't let what I've said put you off whatever you do. Go in with an open mind, and if you have time, try and count up the marks that you think you've totally thrown away by not answering some questions.
user posted image
user posted image

#11 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hope everyone's prelim's have gone well

I thought the new papers were 130 marks now, not 125. Our paper certainly was.

Maths is really one of those things that you can pick up straight away or something you just can't get to grips with. I've got a very Mathematical mind and got an A in the prelim so I'm really pleased

In any Maths paper if you can't do a question at least make an attempt at it. If you've no idea how to do a question and it involves an equation write dy/dx and differentiate it! And maybe even write "at S.P. dy/dx = 0", theres a high chance that'll be relevant to the question and that's 3 marks you've got, even if thats the only thing you've written!

Good luck to everyone still to sit their prelims...and good luck in the finals too

All the best :D

#12 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:36 PM

I revised lots for my Maths prelim, the Robert Gibson "Practice Papers" book was very helpful as it exposed you to more "exam type" problems.

I got an A (86%) for my prelim, scoring higher in Paper 2 than in Paper 1 due to my lack of knowledge on how to do graph work. (ie f(x) +2 or f'(x) )
Well I didn't think the dash looked clear on the paper it looked like a 1! :angry:

I wish everyone else well in their maths Prelim!

Mark
Only 2 more prelims to go.... <_<
Mark

#13 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 06:45 PM

Hey!

Congrats Mark!!

Is that an Upper A? Well Done!! B)

Ally

#14 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:15 PM

Yeah I think it is an upper A!

So I was really pleased with that - I don't see maths being a problem in terms of the final exam. I feel I have a good logical brain!

These prelims have went very well for me so far but the stress levels are sky high!
:lol:

Mark
Mark

#15 Chris M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

I wasn't at all happy with my Maths prelim and neither were any of my class. We all knew we had failed as soon as we opened the paper. I got a Grade 1 for SG and I studied loads for it and to no avail. It was the Pegasys 2004 Prelim let me know if any of you sat that one too.

In my school a total of 6 people passed it out of the whole of 5th and 6th year, and 5 of them were 6th yrs that had failed it last year and were re-sitting. I got a total of 44% which I'm quite pleased with considering the smartest girl in the class who was a dead cert to get an A Band 1 got 23%!

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

Hey All!

Just got my results back; got 82% in my maths prelim, 98/120.

Im really pleased with this; considering i found it solid! :D

What did everyone else get in theirs anyway?

It seems that nearly all the prelims had different totals. Anyone know why?
Isn't it supposed to be out of 130?

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

Chris M, on Feb 26 2004, 08:24 PM, said:

I wasn't at all happy with my Maths prelim and neither were any of my class. We all knew we had failed as soon as we opened the paper. I got a Grade 1 for SG and I studied loads for it and to no avail. It was the Pegasys 2004 Prelim let me know if any of you sat that one too.

In my school a total of 6 people passed it out of the whole of 5th and 6th year, and 5 of them were 6th yrs that had failed it last year and were re-sitting. I got a total of 44% which I'm quite pleased with considering the smartest girl in the class who was a dead cert to get an A Band 1 got 23%!

Hey my Maths teacher writes for Pegasys. He might even have wrote that prelim so I think thats the one our school had. However I only got 63% after loads and loads of studying , thats a B . That just proves how hard it must have been. I'm aiming for an A in the final exam. Hope I can do it! Wait a min my friend just told me our Maths teacher owns Pegasys. Not sure if he's right but that just serves as further proof of how hard that paper was. However our school had considerably better grades than that. Two thirds of us passed it. The dead certs for an A got their A. Also all of those who had a one at standard grade passed with an A, B or high C.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#18 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

Did anyone do the P & N 2003/2004 Test Paper?
I done it today as our second prelim, for evidence of all 3 units, and I suppose it was awrite, it was definately exam standard, afew questions were a bit daunting!
cool.gif
Mark

#19 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

We did that as our main prelim, they just replaced the unit 3 questions with others.

It was quite a challenging paper I thought, but definitely good practice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users