Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Comparing Highers and As levels - HSN forum

Comparing Highers and As levels

41 replies to this topic

#1 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hiyya,
Just wondering if there's anyone who's done both or if anyone knows the sorta comparison level between the two. Are they both equal or is one slightly tougher?

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

The nearest thing you can compare a Higher to is an AS, but Highers are still officially a bit harder. For instance, a B at Higher gets you 60 UCAS points whereas a B at AS gets you 50 UCAS points.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:23 PM

AsTheMiester said, some Highers can be a joke compared to they're AS counterparts. Itis similar to Intermediates and Standard Grades, English Int 2 is alot harder than Standard Grade Credit, though in Maths, In2 is easier than Standard Grade Credit.

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ Jun 2 2005, 07:13 PM)
i dont go around, in my spare time, comparing the difficulty of exams

View Post

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ Jun 2 2005, 02:22 PM)
AS history is harder than higher history, more boring

AS exams r much harder

View Post

wink.gif

#5 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA! Ladies and gentlemen, I believe this calls for...

user posted image

#6 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

is it just me bein thick unsure.gif or is that a bit random rolleyes.gif

#7 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

I think its a bit of both, i reckon what hes is trying to say is implied by the picture, though the picture itself is random.

#8 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

or maybe hes just trying to confuse us all because im the kinda person that will think about what that means alll night and it probably is just a ploy?!? rolleyes.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

#9 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Wow. I thought A level = Higher and AS level = Adv H!

#10 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

And to my recollection, I have read many times of A levels and GCSE's being 'too easy'. You never here things like this about the SQA.

#11 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

is it not that as level= higher and a level= adv higher
coz is as level not the thing you get after you leave at the equvilent of 5th year and then a level 6th year??

#12 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jun 2 2005, 09:38 PM)
is it not that as level= higher and a level= adv higher
coz is as level not the thing you get after you leave at the equvilent of 5th year and then a level 6th year??

View Post

That is what I always thought but then what do I know?

#13 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Yeah... so.. Highers = 5th year, Adv H = 6th year... same thing? smile.gif

#14 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Jun 2 2005, 08:44 PM)
Yeah... so.. Highers = 5th year, Adv H = 6th year... same thing? smile.gif

I think its like that coz my cousin lives in wales and she is doin her gcses just now and will be doin her as levels next year

#15 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

What you have to remember is that with AS and A-Levels, most candidates are 17 and 18.

I sat my Standard Grades when I wasn't 15 and a half and then my Highers when I wasn't even 16 and a half.

When we do Highers, English students do GSCE's. That shows Scottish students are more capable (?) at a younger age.

#16 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ Jun 3 2005, 04:13 PM)
What you have to remember is that with AS and A-Levels, most candidates are 17 and 18.

I sat my Standard Grades when I wasn't 15 and a half and then my Highers when I wasn't even 16 and a half.

When we do Highers, English students do GSCE's.  That shows Scottish students are more capable (?) at a younger age.

View Post

are you sure about that coz my cousin that lives in wales was born in april 1989 and she is doin her gcses just now and if she were here she would be doin her sgs blink.gif smile.gif

#17 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:26 PM

1989....16?

#18 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

yip but thats just coz of when her birthday is

coz my birthdays in january so im one of the youngest in my year and if your birthdays in march/april your one of the oldest
i take it your birthdays january/february too?!?

#19 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

December 24th tongue.gif

#20 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Jun 2 2005, 07:30 PM)
AHAHAHAHAHA! Ladies and gentlemen, I believe this calls for...

user posted image

View Post

Hahaha... good pic! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users