Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher English inquiry - HSN forum

Higher English inquiry

28 replies to this topic

#1 echoes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

Is Higher English all that important for university? Or does it not matter?

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

Depends on what course you're applying to.

What course you going for at uni? smile.gif

#3 echoes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

Sociology

#4 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

i suspect u need it!

#5 echoes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 1 2005, 11:31 PM)
i suspect u need it!

View Post

Grr... I hate doing English essays. I think they're pointless.

#6 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(echoes @ Jun 1 2005, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 1 2005, 11:31 PM)
i suspect u need it!

View Post

Grr... I hate doing English essays. I think they're pointless.

View Post

i failed english last year, and i suspect i failed it this year too!.. jese .. im a happy chappy person now!

#7 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:05 PM

you probably do essays in sociology so the uni would prob prefer that u had higher english but u might not actually need it

#8 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jun 2 2005, 12:05 AM)
you probably do essays in sociology so the uni would prob prefer that u had higher english but u might not actually need it

View Post

dondon is a genius, trust me! shes right when she says something! laugh.gif

p.s: based on deadly memories from yesterday!

#9 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 1 2005, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE(dondon @ Jun 2 2005, 12:05 AM)

View Post

dondon is a genius, trust me! shes right when she says something! laugh.gif

p.s: based on deadly memories from yesterday!

View Post

lol
i just know everything-i was gonna be modest and say nearly but nah- i cant help it
ps "deadly" is a bit of a strong word i personally would have used traumatising lol laugh.gif

#10 echoes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

I just noticed I typed an error into the title of this topic. It's meant to be ''query'' not ''inquiry''...

Hmm... still don't know whether to take the subject.
In 5th year, I did so badly in the critical essays (my highest mark was only 13 out of 25...), I got moved down to Int2 in effect. My guidance teacher said it was the ''maturity of thoughts'' and I just didn't have it... (then?)
and suggested to me to take it this year because of this so-called ''maturity of thoughts'' I might possess further on (or words to that effect) and I've passed two nabs anyway.
I had a great of doubt about this:
What if my essays aren't gonna be of Higher standards AGAIN?
What if I muck it up this time?
Will I be wasting my time if I take it again this year?
Will I have to read Sunset Song again???

You might say, ''Well, there's nae point in taking the darn subject if you have so many anxieties aboot it.''
But don't employers and universities look higly upon you if you have it as one of your qualifications?

Should I take it (considering I have passed two nabs and it might be useful ''but u might not actually need it''- dondon ( [in a sociology course @ uni]) or should I not (considering I think I won't be able to do those critical essays despite my guidance teacher saying something about a ''maturity of thoughts'')?

#11 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:12 AM

I think you should consider taking it vecause it is a good Higher to have. I struggled with the essays to so don't worry about that the highers I ever got was either 14 or 15. I found English really hard and didn't enjoy it in the slightest, but you just need to keep going. (or try your best too. lol.)

Does anyone know if I'll need Higher English to do Accountancy at University?

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
x..*...x....Amanda loves Craig....x...*..x
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#12 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

If you check the prospectus entry that will tell you if it is a neccesary subject.

What university you wanting to go to?

#13 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(johnmallan @ Jun 5 2005, 03:25 PM)
If you check the prospectus entry that will tell you if it is a neccesary subject.

What university you wanting to go to?

View Post

Yeah I will.

I want to go to Herriot Watt!
On there website they don't actually specify specific subjects you need, it just says that I need ABBB. is that the same as the prospectus?

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

The website says you need ABBB at Higher and SG English and Maths. It doesn't mention Higher English so I would assume it is not mandatory.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#15 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Jun 5 2005, 03:45 PM)
The website says you need ABBB at Higher and SG English and Maths. It doesn't mention Higher English so I would assume it is not mandatory.

View Post

Yeah, well that makes me a little more relaxed, but lets hope I pass english anyway! biggrin.gif

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

Well, from the looks of it they are only asking for Standard Grade Level English and Maths, but i would assume they would prefer Higher English and Maths, though i think you would be best to speak to you're Guidance/Pastoral Care Teacher as they will know best.

Have you already passed Higher English? If so what did you get?

I think you will be fine as long as you have Accounting & Finance, Maths, and probably another Math reliant subject at Higher. Though i would still ask your Guidance/Pastoral Care Teacher, as i don't know much about what Accountancy involves really.

EDIT: I was typing this out while you replied.

#17 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(johnmallan @ Jun 5 2005, 03:54 PM)
Well, from the looks of it they are only asking for Standard Grade Level English and Maths, but i would assume they would prefer Higher English and Maths, though i think you would be best to speak to you're Guidance/Pastoral Care Teacher as they will know best.

Have you already passed Higher English? If so what did you get?

I think you will be fine as long as you have Accounting & Finance, Maths, and probably another Math reliant subject at Higher.  Though i would still ask your Guidance/Pastoral Care Teacher, as i don't know much about what Accountancy involves really.

EDIT: I was typing this out while you replied.

View Post

As you can now tell, no I've not passed Higher English - fingers crossed though!
I don't have Accounting and Finance (SG or Higher). I was going to do it this year but there not doing a higher class!! sad.gif But I've had an appointment with the careers adviser and she said that I wouldn't need it! And I suppose she knows best eh? lol.
I got a 1 in SG English and Maths, so I should be ok wi that bit eh?

Anyway thanks for your advise!

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#18 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:22 AM

My mum finished a degree last year in Community Education and she did some Sociology in it.I think,no i'm positive, she had to write essays...

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Higher English isn't just about writing essays though. It's also about "close reading" and inconsistent marking. ph34r.gif A course such as Higher Philosophy will give a better grounding in essay writing.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#20 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

I really had to work my ass off to get good at Higher English. I'm taking Advanced Higher English this year and I'm considering teaching English for a few years before getting a 'proper' job. It'll mean I have to do a joint English/Business Management degree though and a year in learning how to teach it. But still...

I started the year off getting 12/13 on essays, and those were the best essays that I'd ever written. The sort of things you'd get awards for writing in Standard Grade! I really struggled to with English in Standard Grade, but as soon as I cracked it in 4th year, it just became second nature. But Higher was a big step up again. I got a 2 at SG (would've got a 1, damn internal assessments!) and I'm very confident of an A when the results come through for the Higher in August, and I won't be settling for a B in Advanced Higher either, really want to get an A at Advanced Higher too.

The maturity of thoughts arguement is a bit... erm... wrong. I just think you have to learn about what to write about in Higher English, as soon as I knew what to look for and how to identify techniques in texts, I was scoring 18+ for my essays. Towards the end of the year, I was hitting the 20+ mark. With a few more weeks working on it, I'd only have been losing a mark or two per essay. Don't think you can ever really get 25/25. Although I was proud of hitting something like 22/25 the day before the exam biggrin.gif If you can get at least 30/50 for your essays and you don't suck at close reading, then your well on your way towards a B, minimum.

Higher English is really easy, its just finding out what the examiner wants to read in your essays, learning your texts inside out for the exam (quotes, people!) and being able to pick out techniques in the close reading paper. If you can make everything sound good, make your essays flow and give more detailed analysis then you've nailed an A. You can tie in the close reading and the textual analysis together because its much of the same and just try and get into your text, no matter how boring it is. I had to study Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - It is without a doubt the most boring peice of text I have ever ever laid my eyes upon, but I ended up writing around 50+ pages of in-depth analysis and plot summaries in the week leading up to the exam. And I got into it, even though it was boring on so many levels.

I'd recommend studying Higher English to anyone... You learn so much more in that than you do in anything else (at least from what I took) and its very beneficial. And from what I've done so far, Advanced Higher English is great fun, just allows people who did Higher without too much difficulty to experiment and see what they're good at.

I think that your success in English depends on your teacher as well though. I totally hated our teacher for 3/4 of the year, didn't go to class for at least a term, etc. and I was struggling to pass the internal assessments. But we got back on really, really good terms in the last terms and I went from failing the prelim to most probably the best pupil in our class (sorry Mike!) with the best marks towards the end biggrin.gif

If you don't want to put the work into English though, then there isn't much point... No way are you getting an A/B without a good bit of work and studying the texts properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users