Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
TV Picks - HSN forum

TV Picks

75 replies to this topic

#1 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Nothing really stands out today but here's a few:

6PM - The Simpsons - Channel 4 (Entertainment)
Bart, Lisa and a host of celebrities help Krusty turn his career around after his TV show is cancelled. Featuring the voices of Johnny Carson, Bette Midler, Hugh Hefner, Elizabeth Taylor, Luke Perry and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

7:15PM - Killer Leopard of India - Five (Documentary)
India's wilderness is shrinking, resulting in violent clashes between people and wildlife. Man-eating leopards are on the increase, stalking villagers and livestock. Biologist Advait Edgaonakar and cameraman Praveen Singh set out to investigate why some leopards have turned into indiscriminate killers.

8PM - The Truth Behind the Moon Landings - Five (Documentary)
A documentary which debunks the conspiracy theories surrounding the Apollo Moon landings. Using forensic evidence, we will show that mankind's greatest endeavour was a fact, not fiction.

8PM - Brainiac: History Abuse - Sky One (Entertainment)
Strange title for what sounds like a niche programme: lively history for male teenagers, with lots of weaponry and explosions…and former Watchdog presenter Charlotte Hudson.

9PM - Out of Sight - BBC3 (Film)
A succession of stinkers has plagued J-Lo's film career, but she was fragrantly fine alongside George Clooney in this snappy, sexy 1998 crime caper from Steven Soderbergh.

10PM - Desperate Housewives - Channel 4 (Drama)
Thirty million Americans tuned in for the final episode just over a week ago. Channel 4's fans are fewer, but equally devoted.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

My picks for today:

6:40 PM - BBC2 - Match of the Day Live: Women's Euro 2005
Celina Hinchliffe introduces live coverage of England's opening match in the women's European Championship as they face Finland at the City of Manchester Stadium. As the host nation, England have arguably their best chance of success in this competition since reaching the inaugural final in 1984. There are also highlights of the tournament curtain-raiser between the 2001 runners-up Sweden and Denmark.

8 PM - Sky One - The World's Greatest Sporting Legend
David Frost and Des Lynam begin an eight-part quest to find the greatest of the greatest. This opener promises to be contentious: it's all about who is the best footballer. Your vote could make the difference.

9 PM - BBC1 - A Picture of Britain
David Dimbleby begins an energetic love letter to Britain, taking us to the gorgeous countryside and landscapes that have inspired writers and artists for centuries. Tonight's opener begins in the Lake District.

10 PM - BBC2 - Mock the Week
A promising line-up including Rory Bremner, Dara O'Briain and Frankie Boyle play topical and satirical games that smack of The News Quiz or any number of Radio 4 panel shows.

10:30 PM - BBC2 - Storyville: McLibel
The story of the postman and the gardener who took on McDonald's in the longest trial in English legal history. When Helen and Dave were sued, they represented themselves and though they lost the case, the judge ruled that McDonald's 'exploit children' with their advertising, pay low wages and deceptively advertise their food as nutritious. In February 2005 the European Court ruled against the British Government and the libel law.

12:10 AM - Channel Four - South Park
The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer.
All the kids in South Park are wild with anticipation to see the first trailer for the latest Terrance and Phillip movie.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:05 PM

There is a live debate following on from the McLibel programme now - http://www.mcspotlight.org/livedebate/

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

The chat was very fast paced (with a lot of spam) so it was a struggle to type fast enough, but Dave Morris did respond to one of my questions live (he is now offiline):

Brendan: Can an education system ever truly beat generations of multinational advertisment brainwashing? Surely the longer we leave it the less chance society has of escaping the clutch of greed from megacorps?
Dave Morris, defendant: Its been areal education for me to be involved in a wide range of campaigning groups over the last thirty years. We can all learn from each other and spread ideas and encouragement to the whole population. That way we will be able to counter the messages that are being forced on us by those who want us just to be obedient consumers and workers.

A bit disappointing that the chat wasn't that productive but it's quite cool how Dave responded to one of my messages.

Edit: Edited transcript of chat now available here. smile.gif

Edited by bred, 07 June 2005 - 11:50 AM.

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

For today:

7:15 PM - Five - Dangerman Adventures
The Perfect Storm.
Documentary series. Adventure cameraman Geoff Mackley films inside typhoons and hurricanes.

8 PM - Five - The Battle For Hitler's Supership
Historical documentary about the Allied plan to destroy the Tirpitz, the WWII German warrior ship known to Winston Churchill as 'The Beast'. Manned torpedoes, magnetic mines, midget submarines, and the biggest and most technologically advanced conventional bomb ever built, were all used in the heroic struggle to sink her. Featuring the raid which Churchill called ?the most daring in the entire history of the Royal Navy'.

9 PM - BBC2 - How Art Made the World
5/5 - To Death and Back
Five-part documentary series which reveals how the images which surround us today have come from the Ancient World. Nigel Spivey finds out why we are obsessed with images of death - in films, tv programmes and computer games. In Latin America he explores the terrifying and disturbing death-art of the Aztecs, before uncovering the first images of hell ever created, in Italy.

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

On Tuesdays there is Bad Girls on ITV, which I've suddenly got back into since 6th yr tongue.gif lol.

Mark

#7 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Big Brother then Shameless on 4 starting at 10.

#8 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

You missed out ER last night. It was so sad, Carter's last episode. I wanted to cry. It was almost as sad as when Mark died. Or when Lucy did.

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

9 PM - TCM - Look Back in Anger
Richard Burton is on a whinging streak as the ever-complaining Jimmy Porter in Tony Richardson's version of the John Osborne play, the epitome of the kitchen-sink drama that heralded the liberated Swinging Sixties. As the downtrodden, middle-class wife taking the brunt of his tirades, Mary Ure poignantly deserves better from life than a husband who believes the world owes him a living, because Burton makes the man totally unsympathetic. As an emblem of its time, though, not to be missed.

10 PM - BBC2 - The League of Gentlemen
6/6 - Escape from Royston Vasey
Black comedy series about small-town life. Mr Chinnery has some bad luck with a cow. Edward's local shop receives an unexpected visitor.

10 PM - National Geographic - Tsunami: The Day the Wave Struck
Told exclusively through the words and images of eye-witnesses, this documentary tells the story of the most devastating natural disaster of modern times. Featuring a wealth of amateur video-footage shot as the disaster unfolded together with first-hand accounts of tourists.

11 PM - The History Channel - The Bunker: Hitler's End
Documentary on Hitler's final days. As the war drew to a close, the Nazis were forced to admit that defeat was upon them. Ensconced in his secret bunker, Hitler married his mistress Eva Braun on 29 April 1945, before committing suicide the following day.

12 AM - Scottish - The District
Daughter for Daughter.
American police series centred on Jack Mannion, the energetic police commissioner of one of the toughest cities in the United States, Washington DC. Mannion faces his nemesis Dimitri Putin, and this time it's personal when Putin kidnaps Mannion's daughter.

12:40 AM - Channel Four - South Park
Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society.
Bebe is the first girl in the fourth grade to "develop," threatening the boys' friendship and society in general.

2 AM - BBC2 - BBC Learning Zone: Secondary Schools: Geography: The World 2000
A truly global perspective on the major issues facing the world today.

#10 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

9:30 PM - BBC2 - My Life as a Child
3/6 - Moving On
Danny thinks his dad is lazy and selfish. Gemma loves her dad and thinks it's a "right bummer" that her parents are divorcing. Zoe-ella, meanwhile, doesn't have a dad but doesn't care because "dads are boys and boys are thick". It's the third instalment of this wonderful kid-cam series and tonight's (loose) theme is the relationship between father and child. The camerawork may be wonky but this merely adds to the unforced charm of a programme that proves, beautifully, that not all TV kids need be Asbo brats or relatives of Pauline Fowler.

10:35 PM - BBC1 - Bunking Off
2/6

Six-part documentary series which follows the work of truancy officers in north west England as they face the daily battle of getting kids back to school. Mother of eight Karen Brooks discovers if she will be prosecuted for the truancy of three of her children. The truancy patrol picks up persistent truant Dale who has been skipping school for the past six weeks but is soon due to take his crucial GCSE exams.

11 PM - Scottish - Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned
Frank Skinner and David Baddiel - unscripted and totally unrehearsed - tackle subjects suggested by a studio audience.

11:05 PM - BBC1 - Waterworld
This lavish Mad Max on jet skis from director Kevin Reynolds was declared dead in the water owing to escalating costs, nightmarish production problems and clashing egos, but it finally emerged as a spectacular and thrilling sci-fi fantasy. In the far future, the polar icecaps have melted, covering the planet in water and making dirt the most valuable commodity. Enigmatic loner Mariner (Kevin Costner) offers a ray of hope to Helen (Jeanne Tripplehorn) and Enola (Tina Majorino), the latest victims of bandits led by the manic Deacon (Dennis Hopper). While helping Helen and Enola survive, Mariner continues his search to find the mythical Dryland. The film offers plenty of comic-book heroics and spectacular stunts, and Costner gives one of his finest performances as the half man/half amphibian whose steely character holds this full-blooded epic adventure together.

11:20 PM - BBC2 - BBC Four on BBC2: Storyville
White King, Red Rubber, Black Death

Documentary about 19th century King Leopold II of Belgium, who owned one million square miles of Central Africa - the Congo Free State, which suffered the most oppressive form of colonisation Africa has ever known. As many as 10 million Africans died in his quest for wealth as Leopold turned an area 80 times the size of Belgium into a vast, highly profitable labour camp harvesting wild rubber for a new, industrial rubber-hungry world.

#11 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Documentary about 19th century King Leopold II of Belgium, who owned one million square miles of Central Africa - the Congo Free State, which suffered the most oppressive form of colonisation Africa has ever known. As many as 10 million Africans died in his quest for wealth as Leopold turned an area 80 times the size of Belgium into a vast, highly profitable labour camp harvesting wild rubber for a new, industrial rubber-hungry world.

There is a book called 'Heart of Darkness' which I done for my H Eng exam. It is too do with Belgian and other European colonists in Congo

#12 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

Did anyone check out HardTalk Extra with the comedian Rory Bremnan? Its on BBC News 24 btw.

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

9 PM - BBC1 - Undercover Nurse: a Panorama Special
The second of two reports filmed undercover at hospitals focuses on the care of the elderly and reveals shocking evidence that standards fall way short of what you might expect. The team has spent months following the work of a nurse, and reporter Shabnam Grewal - who was at the centre of last week's film - again worked as a cleaner in order to get a true picture of what routinely happens in our hospitals.

9 PM - Channel 4 - Stepkids in Love
In other hands this documentary about step siblings who have a sexual relationship with each other could have become salacious. But James Erskine's film, focusing on the personal stories of three couples in this situation, treats the subject with exemplary gravitas. Some of the stories are sad, some are messy and all the interviewees take great pains to explain - quite accurately - that their relationship is not incestuous, but it's obvious that they've all had to struggle with other people's opinions of them. This is a situation that will become increasingly common, as it's estimated that by 2010 there'll be more stepfamilies in the UK than birth families, and there's no legal reason why step-siblings who are over the age of 18 should not be lovers. But it's still a controversial, complex issue that society still finds difficult to cope with.

11:20 PM - BBC2 - The Apprentice
Reality TV series set in New York in which 18 candidates compete for the position of apprentice to real estate mogul Donald Trump. Despite Jennifer C's firing, the women continue to quarrel. At the next day's Task Delivery, Trump decides to bring a member of Mosaic over to lead the women of Apex. With their new leader on hand the women head over to QVC headquarters to pick a product and sell it on live television.

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

O M G. I missed the Apprentice!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

So did I. sad.gif It'll be repeated on BBC3 I think, if you've got that.

#16 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have. When's it on?

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

Saturday 23 July
8:25pm - 9:10pm

&

Wednesday 27 July
9:00pm - 9:45pm

#18 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thank you.

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

9 PM - BBC2 - Extras
1/6

Andy Millman's life is a conveyor belt of tedium. An oleaginous extra with delusions of importance, his long, dull days are spent on the fringes of film and TV sets, bitching with his similarly forgotten castmates and attempting to ingratiate himself with his superiors. Though echoes of The Office are perhaps inevitable, this new comedy series from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant positively twinkles with self-assurance. A sharply observed slice of (mediocre) life, Extras resists the temptation to patronise or sentimentalise Millman (played, brilliantly, by Gervais). What emerges is a tale of marginalised souls ultimately as shallow as the world they claim to despise.

9 PM - Scottish - Survivors
1/6 - Surviving the Tsunami

"Incredible stories of remarkable individuals forced to fight for their lives in some of the world's most hostile environments" - the publicity material for this new docudrama series makes it sound like an exotic version of 999. But the taster tape reveals that the real-life survival stories featured are indeed amazing, the dramatisations of their ordeals vivid, and the interviews with the survivors often moving. The Ridgley family's horrific experiences in Sri Lanka when the tsunami struck last year are spectacularly reproduced for this first programme.

9 PM - Channel 4 - Dispatches: Beslan
In September last year, Chechen separatist terrorists stormed the Number One School in Beslan and held 1,200 people, mainly women, children and babies, hostage under the most depraved and savage conditions. Three days later, the siege ended in chaos and murderous panic with 330 of the captives lying dead. More than half the victims were children. In this distressing documentary, those directly involved tell their stories. The programme attempts to answer some of the questions that still remain unresolved.

10:35 PM - BBC1 - The Last Word with Nicky Campbell
Nicky Campbell hosts a lively forum of writers, journalists, social commentators and celebrity provocateurs in front of a studio audience of Scots.

11 PM - Scottish - Stealing a Nation: A Special Report by John Pilger
In this shocking film, the award-winning reporter reveals how the British government secretly expelled the entire population of a group of islands to make way for an American military base - from which Iraq was attacked.

11:35PM - BBC2 - BBC4 on BBC2: My Life as a Spy
Director Leslie Woodhead recalls his experiences as a 19-year-old National Serviceman in the late 50s, when he was recruited for secret Russian language training. Along with 5,000 other young conscripts, he became a sleuth on the front line of the Cold war in Berlin, listening in on Soviet pilots, army units and naval exercises. Including interviews with Alan Bennett and Michael Frayn, who were part of the same project.

#20 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Jul 21 2005, 08:38 PM)
9 PM - Scottish - Survivors
1/6 - Surviving the Tsunami

"Incredible stories of remarkable individuals forced to fight for their lives in some of the world's most hostile environments" - the publicity material for this new docudrama series makes it sound like an exotic version of 999. But the taster tape reveals that the real-life survival stories featured are indeed amazing, the dramatisations of their ordeals vivid, and the interviews with the survivors often moving. The Ridgley family's horrific experiences in Sri Lanka when the tsunami struck last year are spectacularly reproduced for this first programme.

I jsut watched the last half hour of that. The reconstruction looked dead fake but the stories the family told were horrendous. The dad seemed to be clued up and i feel he saved his family's lifes. They had survived 5 huge waves and swam in a loch thing inhqabited by crocodiles. Incredibly lucky people to be alive.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users