Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Live 8 - HSN forum - Page 31

Live 8

611 replies to this topic

#601 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Incorrect, incorrect, incorrect. It was not an act of rioting, and the Dissent! network of groups is now preparing a legal challenge to free all who were arrested in that policing operation.

And if you consider that the police aught to be held above the law, then you too deserve the label of Fascist.

#602 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

Of course it is

They can do whatever they want for all i care but dont think they will achieve anything....because they wont

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#603 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:20 PM

And if you had actually read the Riot Act Dave, you would know that for the police to be allowed to act under it, it must be read out by a magistrate to the demostrators during the disturbance (one of those oddities of British Law). Elsewise, it can only be a public order offence they are charged with.

Edit: Riot Act repealed in 1975 - not replaced.

#604 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Jul 9 2005, 06:03 PM)
Well, firstly, within a collectivist society, there would be very little crime anyway (we all know we get utopia after the revolution, right? tongue.gif). But seriously, I would say a police force should be there to serve the needs of the community, and therefore a police force which judges its applicants based on their physical wellbeing and knowledge of basic law is not desireable.

And no, I wouldn't hold elections, because once again, they fall under the influence of teh state. I think a community could pretty much police itself once economic injustice and social inequality had been removed.
QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jul 9 2005, 04:30 PM)
. but hey.. its how the world runs at the moment.. tough s***, we just have to live with it.

View Post

Or, we could change the world. I think I'd prefer that smile.gif. Why don't you help me change the world, itsmereally biggrin.gif? You have half and I'll have half laugh.gif.

View Post

oh! brilliant! and how do u know that???.. just because ay??? lol!! in a "collective society" people will make decissions that dont get the seal of approval from everyone (disagreement). wallah, you have problems again!

There is no right and wrong, there is only a better way, but it has its flaws too.. but depending on the type of person, one flaw is more problematic to one than it is to another.

#605 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:10 PM

An English law, enacted in 1715, providing that if 12 or more people unlawfully assemble.....
The Riot Act, which was not repealed until 1973, became a part of the public consciousness and developed an extended sense in the phrase to read the riot act, meaning “to warn forcefully.”

i think the police were Forcefully warning!

#606 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, in an everyday sense it means that, not a legal sense. Anyway, as it says, it has been repealed.

Interestingly, I now have some video evidence of an illegal arrest taking place. I find it highly infuriating that this kind of thing goes unreported by mainstream media whereas the antics of a few nutters is plastered all over the place.

#607 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jul 9 2005, 08:03 PM)
oh! brilliant! and how do u know that???.. just because ay??? lol!! in a "collective society" people will make decissions that dont get the seal of approval from everyone (disagreement). wallah, you have problems again!

View Post

It's late, and I will respond better tommorrow morning, but for what I'll say to fully make sense, you really need "The Communist Manifesto" under your belt.

#608 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

listen, there is no way of sayin that that way will work., unless you can see the future.

#609 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

Second part of a double bill on Live 8 this evening on BBC2: http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?...rog_details.jsp
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#610 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(bred @ Dec 21 2005, 09:21 PM)
Second part of a double bill on Live 8 this evening on BBC2: http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?...rog_details.jsp

View Post

Yeah, I missed all of this as I was on holiday, twas good....just discovered this wee arguement too! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm with ermdev, no prizes for guessing that one though. wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#611 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Jul 2 2005, 11:06 PM)
QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 2 2005, 07:40 PM)
Oh and then we have the sacrifiing of 9 year old boys

View Post

I hate people who stereotype.

what!!! Africa cant develop because of debt repayment

Ethiopia's debt of $10 billion ($179 a person) at the end of 1996 may not seem like much compared, for example, to the $11 billion Europe spent on ice cream in 1997. But it was almost thirteen times the amount the country earned in exports in 1996. Ethiopia used the equivalent of 45 percent of its $783 million in export earnings on debt payments. Even after such a crushing payout, Ethiopia's debt is still unbearable.

Another example. In 1998, seventy percent of the world's new AIDS infections were in Sub-Saharan Africa. So were four-fifths of all deaths from AIDS that year. Despite this, among all African countries only South Africa is spending more on health care than on debt service. For most African countries, the entire annual health budget is less than $10 a person. Keep in mind that health care is only ONE of the urgent needs requiring heavy investment.
Debt relief on its own can make a massive difference.
In Benin, 54% of the money saved through debt relief has been spent on health including rural primary health care and HIV Programs.
After Mozambique was granted debt relief, it was able to offer all children free immunisation.
In Uganda, debt relief has led to 2.2 million people gaining access to clean water.

I'm not saying everyone should be a philanthropist, but good democracy, good governance or not these people are human beings for gods sake. I'm not trying to appeal to your emotions or anything, but imagine dying of HUNGER. How stupid is that. How SHAMEFUL is that, upon us as humans.

View Post

Oh-em-jeez. I don't believe I missed this post first time round.

Dave got pwnzed.

#612 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:58 PM

actually i didnt i just got bored trying to explain myself

the fact was although debt was large that does mean they were actually paying it. You know like people in this country who dont pay there council tax to the tune of tens of millions now

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users