Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Live 8 - HSN forum - Page 3

Live 8

611 replies to this topic

#41 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:33 PM

i know it just seems so evil that people could do stuff like that and go home to their families at night
and what would u tell ur kids "daddy makes bombs"
its not v nice is it

#42 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:31 PM)
guns dont kill ppl, ppl do! (dont start singin that bloomin "guns dont kill ppl, robbers do" song).. i couldnt never work for some firm that produces that s***

View Post

WMD or GLC? laugh.gif

View Post

lol!

#43 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:37 PM

lol!!

#44 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

so does anyone think that live8 will actually work

i think it wont but what it will do i s make bob geldof look great lol

#45 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

lol - I deleted that post because I thought it might not be obvious what I was on about! Good that it got a couple of laughs though!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#46 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 11:40 PM)

View Post

When you say "work" what do you mean exactly? The cancellation of all international debts will result? At the moment I can't see that happening, but only time will tell.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#47 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:42 PM

yes well it did bring in a little happy bit to something that was kinda depressing lol

#48 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:42 PM

View Post

id rather go to the "download" festival, but im too poor to buy the tickets, and anyways, they've sold out!.. im not up for going to live8, but i can see that it will be a successful gig, but im unsure that it would change any politician's mind

#49 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 10:41 PM)

View Post

When you say "work" what do you mean exactly? The cancellation of all international debts will result?

View Post

I mean do u think it will have any effect on politicians or on other peoples opinions?!?

#50 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:45 PM

An effect, yes. But not to the extent Geldof wants - cancellation of debts etc.

#51 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:49 PM

yes i definetly think that it will increase the publics awareness-there seem to be a v large % of people who dont seem to realise that this kind of poverty happens- that this is going on but i dont think that it will do anything to politicians or cancel or even reduce any debts.

#52 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:45 PM)
An effect, yes. But not to the extent Geldof wants - cancellation of debts etc.

View Post

i have to admit, cancellation of debts is a starter, in wont solve the majority of the problem but will help in a drastic way

#53 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

I think that cancelling debts would be a great start but people need so much more help because in most places they dont have the technology or the knowledge to be able to physically grow food in the area they live

#54 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 11:52 PM)
I think that cancelling debts would be a great start but people need so much more help because in most places they dont have the technology or the knowledge to be able to physically grow food in the area they live

View Post

lets see if we can even start the cancelling of debts procedure. people hate politicians cos they never listen, and they wonder why ppl dont vote!! jese, even 5 year olds would understand that

#55 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

I know but some people seem to be unbelivably(is that spelt right i dunno lol) thick
Most people just dont know the facts. Ihave to say if I hadnt have done Geography this year I wouldnt know all that I know now but i would at least understand the basics.

#56 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

View Post

Furthermore, if agriculture remains as the main industrial sector it will inhibit development for most poor countries. New industries need to be developed to compete with the mega economies of nations such as the USA.
Unfortunately, we're generally a good distance away from looking at such issues. IMO debts must be cancelled first. If poor countries do make a small annual economic surplus it tends to be overshadowed by debt repayments which are a multiple of any surplus.

#57 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:02 PM)

View Post

Furthermore, if agriculture remains as the main industrial sector it will inhibit development for most poor countries. New industries need to be developed to compete with the mega economies of nations such as the USA.
Unfortunately, we're generally a good distance away from looking at such issues. IMO debts must be cancelled first. If poor countries do make a small annual economic surplus it tends to be overshadowed by debt repayments which are a multiple of any surplus.

View Post

Yes and because they can grow nothing they have to import everything which of course they have to pay v large amounts of tax on

#58 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ Jun 1 2005, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:02 PM)

View Post

View Post

Yes and because they can grow nothing they have to import everything which of course they have to pay v large amounts of tax on

View Post

but where countries can grow (africa), u get developed countries dumping subsidised crops of their own, and ruin fragile economics. either way, one wins and one looses, a "win-win" situation will not happen until all countries reach an equlibrium, and to be frankly honest, i dont see it happenin in my lifetime

#59 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:12 PM

but where countries can grow (africa), u get developed countries dumping subsidised crops of their own, and ruin fragile economics. either way, one wins and one looses, a "win-win" situation will not happen until all countries reach an equlibrium, and to be frankly honest, i dont see it happenin in my lifetime
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

You would think politicians with all their degrees and experience would want to deal with it but people who feel strongly about this are in a small minority -as u can see coz ther are only 3 people taking part in this conversation- and that minority is not going to be a large amount of people voting for them at the nex election and thats all they really care about is keeping their jobs and their money

#60 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

[quote=dondon,Jun 1 2005, 12:12 AM]
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

You would think politicians with all their degrees and experience would want to deal with it but people who feel strongly about this are in a small minority -as u can see coz ther are only 3 people taking part in this conversation- and that minority is not going to be a large amount of people voting for them at the nex election and thats all they really care about is keeping their jobs and their money
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

what do u say? we 3 go and kick some political (tony b-liar) butt?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users