Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Live 8 - HSN forum - Page 2

Live 8

611 replies to this topic

#21 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(gary @ May 31 2005, 10:12 PM)
where would you get tickets.

View Post

Apparently there's gonna be a phone line you can phone or something, and then those who can go will be drawn by ballot. Text messages will then be sent to those who get tickets. (I think)

@ Dondon: I don't think America really care about any sort of issue, really. Aren't there some sort of restrictions on CFCs? I'm sure I read that their use was to be controlled and HFCs were to be used instead. If not, I think we should have some restrictions *stomps foot*
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabarŠ ciego.
~Gandhi~

#22 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

dondon, i agree 100% with what u said!
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Ye well at least some1 does
the idea of the live 8 concerts is good but really what kind of difference is it going to make if politicians have already made up their minds!

#23 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE(cc100 @ May 31 2005, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 09:59 PM)
the problem with it all is politicians do not give away money very easily

View Post

Yip, especially American politicians. I really can't see America signing up to donate 0.7% (I think that's the proposed figure) of their annual income to eradicate poverty - I don't even know whether Britain will. No concert is going to change that, unfortunately.

View Post

America are not willing to sign up to any kind of treaty which would benefit anyone else
do u know they were the only developed country not to have a representative at the conference in geneva about pollution this year and they have 4% of the worlds population but produce 25% of the total amount of CO2 and that doesnt count CFC's which arent banned and measures on other greenhouse gases!!!

View Post

rory bremner made great sketches about this issue, if i ever find links, ill post it up here!

#24 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

i love this thing coz i get to tell new people about things i feel strongly about coz everyone else is bored with it already!!lol laugh.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

#25 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:05 PM)
Why?

View Post

u see, farmers in poor countries need to make a living, if u dump ur excess food into places where farmers can still grow crops (even though the country is considered poor), then the farmers will not be able to survive

That is an issue, but a lot of produce goes into exports, and I think the point is rather than countries being given food for free, long term, they will be given food in times of dire need - e.g. following Boxing Day Tsunami, Sudan Civil War.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#26 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:20 PM

[quote=dondon,May 31 2005, 11:16 PM]
dondon, i agree 100% with what u said!
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Ye well at least some1 does
the idea of the live 8 concerts is good but really what kind of difference is it going to make if politicians have already made up their minds!

[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

u know what i think is even funnier! over £2 billion was spent on the war on iraq to get rid of sadam. did u know:

sadam used to work for the americans, and was used as an agent to assasinate the previous leader of iraq, unfortunately, he failed and the americans helped him out of the mess that he left (didnt manage to get the mission complete)

with one of the best special forces in the world (both america and britain), and with the main aim to (now being, since they figured they wouldnt find weapons of mass obstruction) get rid or sadam, couldnt they just send in the SS and get him killed/kidnapped/eaten? (and for way less than £2 billion that would have cost)

#27 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(cc100 @ May 31 2005, 11:10 PM)
Yip, especially American politicians.  I really can't see America signing up to donate 0.7% (I think that's the proposed figure) of their annual income to eradicate poverty - I don't even know whether Britain will. No concert is going to change that, unfortunately.

View Post

It was supposed to be 2% but I think Norway was the only country that met that target so it was reduced.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#28 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:05 PM)
Why?

View Post

u see, farmers in poor countries need to make a living, if u dump ur excess food into places where farmers can still grow crops (even though the country is considered poor), then the farmers will not be able to survive

That is an issue, but a lot of produce goes into exports, and I think the point is rather than countries being given food for free, long term, they will be given food in times of dire need - e.g. following Boxing Day Tsunami, Sudan Civil War.

View Post

yeah! but this is about freein debt, and long term help. poor countries didnt suddenly become poor, they declined in economic growth and now are considered poor, or they never developed, or developed and are developing at a rate way too slow to see any chance of catching up with the "developed" countries!

#29 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 11:10 PM)
ye its a good thing in some cases when giving them the short term aid of food is not really giving them a lot but they do need long term aid and that involves aid that the country actually needs like seeds n stuff. And that involves rich countries giving money or cancelling debts which most politicians are not willing to do

Bred r u not the administrator for higher geography coz if u have done higher geography surely u would know at least some of that?!?

View Post

Yes. I don't know why you are assuming I did not know that?

#30 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(cc100 @ May 31 2005, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE(gary @ May 31 2005, 10:12 PM)
where would you get tickets.

View Post

Apparently there's gonna be a phone line you can phone or something, and then those who can go will be drawn by ballot. Text messages will then be sent to those who get tickets. (I think)

@ Dondon: I don't think America really care about any sort of issue, really. Aren't there some sort of restrictions on CFCs? I'm sure I read that their use was to be controlled and HFCs were to be used instead. If not, I think we should have some restrictions *stomps foot*

View Post

yes well thats what they say and these are possible solutions but HFC's are still not completly harm free and the president of Ameirica if George Bush so i dont see it happening v soon

But there are no restrictions on the use of CFC's in America ..yet hopefully there will be soon

#31 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:22 PM)
yeah! but this is about freein debt, and long term help. poor countries didnt suddenly become poor, they declined in economic growth and now are considered poor, or they never developed, or developed and are developing at a rate way too slow to see any chance of catching up with the "developed" countries!

View Post

I know. I was just responding to your comments.

#32 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:22 PM)

View Post

I know. I was just responding to your comments.

View Post

ahh!!???? huh.gif unsure.gif

#33 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

]
[/quote]

u know what i think is even funnier! over £2 billion was spent on the war on iraq to get rid of sadam. did u know:

sadam used to work for the americans, and was used as an agent to assasinate the previous leader of iraq, unfortunately, he failed and the americans helped him out of the mess that he left (didnt manage to get the mission complete)

with one of the best special forces in the world (both america and britain), and with the main aim to (now being, since they figured they wouldnt find weapons of mass obstruction) get rid or sadam, couldnt they just send in the SS and get him killed/kidnapped/eaten? (and for way less than £2 billion that would have cost)
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

isnt it just mad that so many countries spend so much money on killing one another rather than saving peoples lives

#34 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

Trade barriers need to be removed. When an African wants to import some produce to Europe they must pay ridiculous tariffs (in some cases they can be over 200%). European farmers are subsidized in ridiculous ways (they get about £5 every day for every cow they own). This arrangement means we pay more and the Africans earn less.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#35 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:25 PM)
ahh!!????  huh.gif  unsure.gif

View Post

I was just responding to the specific comments you made. I am aware of the issues at hand on a larger scale in global poverty. It is not just about handing over a food surplus or not handing over a food surplus.

#36 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

eaten!! lol laugh.gif far cheaper and at least u know hes copletely gone laugh.gif

#37 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

[quote=dondon,May 31 2005, 11:26 PM]
]
[/quote]

[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

isnt it just mad that so many countries spend so much money on killing one another rather than saving peoples lives
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

and the sick bit is, ppl make money out of it. The media, the ppl who make weapons, oil companies.. its sick

#38 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:27 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 11:25 PM)
ahh!!????  huh.gif  unsure.gif

View Post

I was just responding to the specific comments you made. I am aware of the issues at hand on a larger scale in global poverty. It is not just about handing over a food surplus or not handing over a food surplus.

View Post

ah! gotcha now! biggrin.gif, just clicked, im rather slow useee, well read!

#39 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:29 PM

]
[/quote]

and the sick bit is, ppl make money out of it. The media, the ppl who make weapons, oil companies.. its sick
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]
I know how could u live ur life knowing that u had helped produce a weapon which had went on to kill hundreds or thousands of people

#40 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

[quote=dondon,May 31 2005, 11:29 PM]
]
[/quote]

[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]
I know how could u live ur life knowing that u had helped produce a weapon which had went on to kill hundreds or thousands of people
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

guns dont kill ppl, ppl do! (dont start singin that bloomin "guns dont kill ppl, robbers do" song).. i couldnt never work for some firm that produces that s***

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users