Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Live 8 - HSN forum

Live 8

611 replies to this topic

#1 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

Live 8

What do you think?

I am 100% in favour of it! The line up is not too shabby at all. It's for a good cause and thats the main thing.

Now the really hard question. Will it MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY?

#2 coolncleo

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:HAVING FUN

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

I think it is a great idea!!!! hope i can get a hold o ticket tho

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

http://www.worldonfire.ca ... not sure if I've posted this before somewhere.. but its on topic so.. yeah... just maybe.

They say that international aid is money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.

It may be tragically ironic, but its the truth. One of the major problems is the distribution of aid to those who ultimately are the most deserving.

#4 coolncleo

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:HAVING FUN

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 31 2005, 06:40 PM)

They say that international aid is money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.

View Post

Yeah i can totally see how this happens, but if all debt is cancelled then everyone (thats mayb an exageration) wil b happpy

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 31 2005, 07:40 PM)

It may be tragically ironic, but its the truth.

View Post

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. International aid is useful but I would agree that it's distribution does need to be strictly controlled.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I think it'll be exciting. I really hope that something gets done about poverty at the G8 thinger. They're the ones who have the power to do something, so I don't see why they don't.

#7 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

For one, I wouldn't quite describe the G8 leaders as humanitarians.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#8 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Well, I don't really know what I'm talking about, other than Bob Geldof seems to think it'll make a difference and 'mon the Bob.

Politics goes straight over the top of my head.

Who knows? Maybe seeing so many people come together for this one cause might make a difference?

Then again, I'm a bit of a... What's the word? Optimist.

#9 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

I think its a great idea!
Its about time the G8 countries decided to do sumthing decent and help the poorer nations! Anything that can make Bush etc pay attention and do something decent for once has to be a gr8 idea!

#10 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

the problem with it all is politicians do not give away money very easily so trying to get them to give money to poorer countries would be v difficult if they wont even give them excess food we have in this country but they'd rather see the food rotting in a warehouse than lose some money

#11 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:02 PM

GREAT IDEA! .. not the bestest of line ups

#12 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 10:59 PM)
the problem with it all is politicians do not give away money very easily so trying to get them to give money to poorer countries would be v difficult if they wont even give them excess food we have in this country but they'd rather see the food rotting in a warehouse than lose some money

View Post

u seee, economically, they are doing the right thing (in some cases,) when they dont give poor countries excess food! i know it sounds harsh, but in reality, its a gd thing(in some cases)

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:05 PM

Why?

#14 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 31 2005, 11:05 PM)
Why?

View Post

u see, farmers in poor countries need to make a living, if u dump ur excess food into places where farmers can still grow crops (even though the country is considered poor), then the farmers will not be able to survive, and when the countries who are giving excess food cant give excess food anymore, who's going to feed their nation? cos the farmers wont exist, cos they went out of business when food became free (or really cheep) cos rich countries were dumping excess food into their country

#15 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 09:59 PM)
the problem with it all is politicians do not give away money very easily

View Post

Yip, especially American politicians. I really can't see America signing up to donate 0.7% (I think that's the proposed figure) of their annual income to eradicate poverty - I don't even know whether Britain will. No concert is going to change that, unfortunately.

"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#16 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 10:04 PM)

View Post

u seee, economically, they are doing the right thing (in some cases,) when they dont give poor countries excess food! i know it sounds harsh, but in reality, its a gd thing(in some cases)

View Post

ye its a good thing in some cases when giving them the short term aid of food is not really giving them a lot but they do need long term aid and that involves aid that the country actually needs like seeds n stuff. And that involves rich countries giving money or cancelling debts which most politicians are not willing to do

Bred r u not the administrator for higher geography coz if u have done higher geography surely u would know at least some of that?!?

#17 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE(itsmereally @ May 31 2005, 10:04 PM)

View Post

View Post

ye its a good thing in some cases when giving them the short term aid of food is not really giving them a lot but they do need long term aid and that involves aid that the country actually needs like seeds n stuff. And that involves rich countries giving money or cancelling debts which most politicians are not willing to do

Bred r u not the administrator for higher geography coz if u have done higher geography surely u would know at least some of that?!?

View Post

dondon, i agree 100% with what u said!

#18 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

where would you get tickets.

#19 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(gary @ May 31 2005, 11:12 PM)
where would you get tickets.

View Post

some compitition on the tele on monday, thats what the news said!

#20 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(cc100 @ May 31 2005, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE(dondon @ May 31 2005, 09:59 PM)
the problem with it all is politicians do not give away money very easily

View Post

Yip, especially American politicians. I really can't see America signing up to donate 0.7% (I think that's the proposed figure) of their annual income to eradicate poverty - I don't even know whether Britain will. No concert is going to change that, unfortunately.

View Post

America are not willing to sign up to any kind of treaty which would benefit anyone else
do u know they were the only developed country not to have a representative at the conference in geneva about pollution this year and they have 4% of the worlds population but produce 25% of the total amount of CO2 and that doesnt count CFC's which arent banned and measures on other greenhouse gases!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users