Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crashing Higher Physics - HSN forum - Page 2

Crashing Higher Physics

43 replies to this topic

#21 Soph.E.

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

I crashed Physics this year too, only because universities required it at some level and seriously - SO HARD! I reckon because I took it out of 'duty' and not interest, that majorly reduced my enthusiasm for it.
At the start it was pure hell, I worked really hard and hated every minute of it but by the end, when we'd got on to doing light and radioactivity (which mostly is covered in higher chemistry), I shocked myself by realising it was actually slightly enjoyable! I started out failing extension tests and ended up getting a band 1 A in the prelim so just shows it is possible if you want it enough!

Seriously though, you will need to work for it if you're crashing something (especially Physics) but as long as you have a sketchy idea of what they cover in Standard Grade and do loads of past papers then you'll be fine and dandy rolleyes.gif

Good luck whatever you decide to do, let us know how you get on smile.gif

#22 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

i would say go for it assuming you dont been like an A or a B for uni who cares if you fail or do badly really

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#23 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

There is the added attraction that next year you will get a data booklet with all the formulae in it which will help you as I imagine if you have not done physics before learning formulae could be quite difficult at first.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#24 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

^ Your sarcasm amuses me rolleyes.gif

#25 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Moral Fabric @ May 18 2005, 08:12 PM)
I'm might be crashing physics this year, come say i'm mad, others offer encouragement, what do you guys think?

ty for your time
Andi tongue.gif

View Post

CRAZY! laugh.gif Kidding, go for it! Work hard and you might even succeed! tongue.gif

#26 daveyboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

Crashed it this year and it was well worth it! Go for it!

#27 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

If you are good at maths then you will find the physics course easier than if you were not. The more demanding stuff is more demanding due to the maths involved more so than the knowledge.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#28 Equilibrium

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

If your half decent at maths then it will be no problem ph34r.gif
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!

#29 gazza

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

I chose higher physics for next year, even though i haven't done standard grade. i was wondering if someone could adise me as to whether i should do the subject or change to another. I know i have no previous knowledge, but i do intend on looking over the sgrade course in the summer. I also do well in other science realted subjects such as maths, chemistry, computing and biology, i got As in all of them in my prelim and hope for that in my exam. I'm just worried i will really struggle and i need at least a B in it.

#30 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

That's what I'm doing, I was hoping to do Higher Physics last year but the school wouldn't let me, now that I'm going into sixth year (somehow) I can do Higher Physics. I asked the same question last year, hoping I could do Higher Physics, some people said it was not that hard, some said it was extremely difficult unsure.gif

#31 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

There is do doubt you will find it hard. I recommend getting some standard grade notes to look at over the summer. If you work hard and spend a lot of time going over it you should find it not to bad.

Get revising now is my advice!

#32 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

The Higher course for Physics is nothing like the Standard Grade.

I think it would be more worth your while if you just tried to read through some Higher notes, and get a head start.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#33 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:50 PM

Oh yeah, trust me, I'm just fresh from a gruelling year. Not to put you off or anything, but it requires a sizeable chunk of effort - excuse the pun lol. Anyway, as Steve said its not like SG where everything is general and straightforward and can be grasped with just one look. Its quite technical if anything. Have a look at the past papers and you'll know what I mean. If you've never done physics before, I strongly recommend you get a way head start over the summer if you're serious about it smile.gif.

Btw, what confuses me is how people can just suddenly start a subject at Higher level without ever having done it before. I have a friend who did that with Chemistry of all subjects! I think that is really quite a task.

#34 Pooch

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Flying

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

I think you should pick it up fairly easily. The course has next to nothing in common with SG and to be honest there is not a huge amount you have to remember. Not even formulae seeing as you're doing it next year and you get a nice blue databook tongue.gif

#35 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

If you are good at maths then you will find the physics much much easier than if you were not. I found I was able to understand stuff the teacher was saying even before he had finished explaining it because of I could work it out using mathematical knowledge. That doesn't mean it's an easy course but one of the things which makes the difference between easy and hard questions is more complex maths.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#36 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

You have a point there but there is still no doubt the Physics aspect will be difficult.

#37 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

I didnt crash it this year, though it felt like i was, at first i found it very hard, but as i went over unit 1 again and again, my confidence grew, as that is the unit everyone in my class found hardest. Both units 2 and 3 are easy and straight forward imo. And if you do or have done Higher Chemistry the very last section in unit 3 will be a doddle(as some of my friends found out), me personally hated that section with a vengance, though i found it easy.

Good luck if you pick it.

#38 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

Hated that section with vengance!
So did I!

There are hard bits but crack the other stuff and your on your way to a pass.

Maths and Chemisry would help a lot. So would Technological Studies but not many people do it.

#39 Mr T

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(8139222013 @ May 31 2005, 01:05 PM)
That's what I'm doing, I was hoping to do Higher Physics last year but the school wouldn't let me, now that I'm going into sixth year (somehow) I can do Higher Physics. I asked the same question last year, hoping I could do Higher Physics, some people said it was not that hard, some said it was extremely difficult unsure.gif

View Post

The higher physics course isnt that hard - the first unit is probably the hardest because of kinematics but other than that, its okay.

#40 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:29 PM

I found the first unit he easiest! Maybe its because I took Technological Studies which is quite similar to unit 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users