Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crashing Higher Physics - HSN forum

Crashing Higher Physics

43 replies to this topic

#1 daveyboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:50 PM

hey I'm sitting Crash Higher Physics this year and was wondering if there was anyone out there doing/ has done the same thing with any advice?

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

My advice would have been dont do it but its a bit late now!!

I didn't crash myself but i would think you want to go onto the Physics page of the SQA website and download the formula list. you should learn the formula from Higher and SG really.

One thing to note is that you should spend time on learning equations but also on the theory of Physics

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

As Dave said, make sure you know both all the formulae and the theory,

Learn the formulae by doing practice questions, or even just writing out a formula lots of times.

If you UNDERSTAND and KNOW (as opposed to just know) the thoery then it will help a lot. When you understand something you stand a better chance of remembering it as it means something to you. Understanding the theory will in some cases show you where formulae come from so can help you to remember them.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 aldo

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

Haven't done a crash course on any subject but my recommendation would be to spend a little time going over the stuff in Standard Grade, that also comes up in Higher.

You would be able to skip chapters such as Health Physics and probably most of the Space Physics units, but you would want to have a good understanding of both the Electricity & Transport sections as they make up a considerable chunk of the higher.

A good handy book to have is the Revision Notes for Standard Grade Physics, which is published by Chemcord. The book will only cost you £5 from their own website and they charge £1 postage. They also do a similar and really helpful book for Higher which I used when I studied Higher and now use as a student teacher.

Would also say the advise you have been given before is good advice, if you understand it, you dont have to remember it, which is a big bonus when you go into the exam.

Good luck...

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

chemcord is what i used and (dont tell anyone) is what i use when people ask me questions about physics and chem on this site tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

chemcord got me through standard grades & highers in physics, chemistry & maths! the head of physics at my school wrote the physics ones!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(aldo @ Mar 14 2005, 09:32 PM)
A good handy book to have is the Revision Notes for Standard Grade Physics, which is published by Chemcord.  The book will only cost you £5 from their own website and they charge £1 postage. 

View Post

Also available through here. wink.gif

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

my mate done crash higher physics and managed to get an A....shows its possible!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 Voboj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

An excellent resource covering the whole Higher Physics course is SURE Higher Physics, from http://www.countingthoughts.com

It uses simulations instead of just animations, has questions with constructive feedback, and you can use its equation tool to re-arrange equations and plot and evaluate them.

#10 Secluded Fears

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

I'm doing Crash Higher Physics this year... managed to get 74% in the prelim...no idea how biggrin.gif
It's not as bad as it initially sounds, just the extra effort done in learning all the Standard Grade formula you missed out on, cause questions which require them do pop up occasionally...:\

#11 vespucci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

Actually I used SURE Higher Physics and thought it was very comprehensive, and it just cost a tenner.

#12 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

mmm.... i used the leckie and leckie revision book at Standard grades and i got a 1. It is the best book that i have come across. It is well simple to understand and take in. Only cost a fiver aswell. it isn't a huge book like other ones i have seen, it is simple to the point and made me pass biggrin.gif the higher one is pretty good aswell.

#13 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

I didnt do crash higher but i would recommend reading the standard grade course notes as there is alot of basic background knowledge that you need for the higher. I got a band 1 last year and the best advice i could give you is to do plenty of questions beforehand as alot of the same thing is asked but just in different situations. Lastly, if you dont know how to do a question in the exam just write down anythin you can think of - i did!
user posted image

#14 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

I think the best revision books for physics..well actually any maths/science subject is the Chemcord books they only cost about £5 and are really good!

#15 oghamura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

I used SURE Higher Physics too. It is a piece of software rather than a book, but it covers the whole course and illustrates things with simulations - it has investigation sections where you can use the simulations to do investigations, and each page of the course has the simulations on them too. The questions give constructive feedback pointing out where you are going wrong. I found the revision sections really useful too - each objective corresponds to the subject arrangements content statements and is backed up with a question and a link back to the relevant section. It is excellent and delivers a lot more than more expensive software I have seen.

#16 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

I don't know how anyone could do crash higher, I am doing Higher now in sixth year after getting a 2 at standard grade and choosing not to do it last year, biggest mistake I made last year.

I am totally stuggling.

#17 sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(gary @ Mar 30 2005, 11:37 PM)
I don't know how anyone could do crash higher, I am doing Higher now in sixth year after getting a 2 at standard grade and choosing not to do it last year, biggest mistake I made last year.

I am totally stuggling.

View Post

I'm crashing higher physics this year and lets just say its a bit of a struggle. I'm currently trying to do some revision on capacitors-but I just can't understand them. I've read and reread over them. Any one out there help me out. ie where I might get some direct comprehensive notes on them.

#18 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

hey i'm crashing higher physics to, i'd def say get a list of the standard grade formula as everything becomes easier once you know some of them!
at first i totally didn't understand capacitors either , it took me hours of reading over my notes/doing questions on them and getting my teacher to go over them again and again after school before i finially understood it. but i struggled on and it was worth it as i got 83% in my prelim! think all the teachers in the department were shocked as they thought i'd be lucky to scrape a c.
if you can i'd say get a copy of the what you need to know from standard grade for higher from your physics department. its a lot easier than getting a full set of notes as then you know what you need to concentrate on. or ask some of the teachers to go over the basics at supported study etc if you can as it really does pay off.
now i suppose i should get back to studying physics...

#19 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

I'm might be crashing physics this year, come say i'm mad, others offer encouragement, what do you guys think?

ty for your time
Andi tongue.gif

#20 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

i'd say go for it! i crashed physics this year and didn't find it too difficult at all, and i even enjoy it lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users