Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
New 2005-06 Pupils for Modern Studies - HSN forum

New 2005-06 Pupils for Modern Studies

22 replies to this topic

#1 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

OK, the 2005 exam is long gone, so chill, its a new beginning.
Heres some links on helpful material for preparing for and enjoying Modern Studies

Modernity Scotland

and why did i give u this website?

because, the person who made this site, has a vast knowledge on teaching modern studies,(Credits). Not only that, if u subscribe to that site, he will individually mark your papers for u if u send them to him, and u might ask, whats soo good about him marking it, lets just say, his estimates are more "definites", than any other estimates... tongue.gif

oh! and if u know of any other links, keeep them posted right here!

#2 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

I'd be willing to help any new modern studies students with any questions etc having sat modern studies this year. Study hard!

#3 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(vikki1987 @ Jun 1 2005, 04:21 PM)
I'd be willing to help any new modern studies students with any questions etc having sat modern studies this year.  Study hard!

View Post

My advice would to be work throughout the year and don't leave it until the last minute as comeMay you will have covered a lot of ground and you will be left with a lot of wrk to learn and revise.

The NABS help you to do that in a way, but I would look over the stuff you did that day when you get home and just learn it throughout the year, so you don't have to do much work to bring it back to the front of your mind come the Exam
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#4 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:golf, food<br />im amazing and sexy :)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

My advice is to learn 1 political topic, 1 social issue and 1 international issues- which is not much at all!!
put a lot of emphasis on how to strucutre a DME report
and practise those easy 10 mark questions in paper 2 cuz ud be truly gutted if u screwed up on them
dnt u think so Lipu?
User Banned.

#5 mt94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ Jun 2 2005, 07:02 PM)
My advice is to learn 1 political topic, 1 social issue and 1 international issues- which is not much at all!!
put a lot of emphasis on how to structure a DME report

View Post

I agree that you should really try and get the structure of the DME down.

Fair enough only learning one social issue because you get three questions to choose from for that, but I think only learning political and 1 international is a bit too risky.

We did The Electoral System, Voting and Political Attitudes and The Government of Scotland. Granted we only skimmed the govt. of Scotland i.e. enough to pass the NAB, but some people did more prep and one girl even answered on it...but if you look at the Scotland questions - they are rubbish, the voting systems ones are MUCH better.

The same applies for international issues - we did China and America - some people only revised China though, and the questions were really quite bad for her, whereas I felt the America questions were quite fair.

So, in essence, you don't know what questions you are going to get on the day - it really does pay to revise 2 political issues and 2 international issues.

#6 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

Ta - I'm crashin it this year, any help will be useful! unsure.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#7 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

djh1878 what topics has your school chosen to do for the Higher Modern Studies course?
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#8 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ Jun 10 2005, 07:22 PM)
djh1878 what topics has your school chosen to do for the Higher Modern Studies course?

View Post

The Scottish Parliament
The House of Commons
The House of Lords
Voting Systems

Health

USA
South Africa

I think that's all of it! smile.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#9 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

the topics I did were Electoral Systems, Political Attitudes and Voting behaviour (study Theme 4); THe Prime Minister one (Study Theme 1); Income and Wealth in the UK (Study Theme 5); Etnic Minoritie sin the USA (Study Theme 9); Politics of Food (Study Theme 12).

If you need any help someone should be able to help you. Those are the study themes i did an dtherefore are the ones which I will be able to assist you with.

Robert Gordon University

------

#10 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

Is modern studies really difficult cause I'm taking it this year and I've never taken modern studies before.
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#11 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 15 2005, 10:07 AM)
Is modern studies really difficult cause I'm taking it this year and I've never taken modern studies before.

View Post

umm.. right.. if ur into politics, world affairs and stuff like that, u should be fine.. ur taking Higher im guessing

#12 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 15 2005, 09:07 AM)

View Post

To answer your question:

It is teh same as any other subject that you sit - If you work hard and learn the work then no, if you do the opposite then it will be difficult.
Robert Gordon University

------

#13 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

lipu, u sound like a teacher!.. but what u said is true lol!

#14 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 15 2005, 06:21 PM)
lipu, u sound like a teacher!

View Post

Thanks for the compliment ^o)

QUOTE(itsmereally @ Jun 15 2005, 06:21 PM)
.. but what u said is true lol!

View Post

It is of course true and that is why i said it!
Robert Gordon University

------

#15 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, I'm taking Higher. I know that if you work hard things are easier but I worked really hard at my subjects last year and I still don't think I've done that well. However, I am really interested in politics so maybe I'll be alright!
Thanks!
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#16 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 23 2005, 10:19 AM)
I am really interested in politics

View Post

That really helps with the politics sections that you will do! I found them interesting, but then again like you I'm naturally interested in politics (want to do a MA in it)
Robert Gordon University

------

#17 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ Jun 23 2005, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE(Yurimaru @ Jun 23 2005, 10:19 AM)
I am really interested in politics

View Post

That really helps with the politics sections that you will do! I found them interesting, but then again like you I'm naturally interested in politics (want to do a MA in it)

View Post

Yeah being interested in politics is a huge advantage with modern studies- thts why i enjoyed it soo much! It helps cause u dont have to remember or learn examples you can just draw on wot u know.
Yeah i am like u Lipu- i am doin law at uni but u can do politics with it so thts wot i hope to do! biggrin.gif

#18 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

Have any of you actually tried "Modernity Scotland" yet??

#19 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

Yeah I used it for stuff last year
Robert Gordon University

------

#20 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:45 AM

New course descriptors for 2006:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQ_ModernS...riptors2006.doc
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users