Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Questions that require conclusion? - HSN forum

Questions that require conclusion?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

which questions need a conclusion and is there any difference in these type of essays other than conclusion?

#2 *dj*

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Love my music and going to gigs!! <br />Lord of the rings ROCKS...Aragorn in action what more can i say!!!<br />Up for a laugh, can be pretty imature at times:)<br />Love the distillers, the used, my chemical romance, guns n roses, the killers, list is endless!!!! been to a couple of heavy metal gigs tho!!<br /><br />what else is there to say??!!!<br />hmm......

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

LO2's need conclusions
Stab my heart because your so controversial

#3 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

Yes your LO2s must have conclusions, but it is good practice to conclude every essay (bith LO1 and LO2). Your LO2 questions are your part b questions in the exam and are more analytical.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Just as a side point and I don't suggest you do this as I think they will want conclusions for what you asked, but here at Cambridge we are told NEVER to write any form of conclusion in an essay. "Conclusions should be self evident. If the conclusion to your writing is not selfevident then there is something fundamentally wrong with what you have written."
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#5 xmelx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

you cant pass an LO2 without a good, clear conclusion but yeah it is a good idea to put one in LO1s aswell, as it sorta rounds up the whole essay

#6 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

I know we are told that it's the LO2s that require conclusions but as this information (whether the question is an LO1 or an LO2) is unhelpfully not included on the paper, an easy way to remember is that LO1s, or 'non-conclusion' questions are usually 'describe', while LO2s are 'discuss'.

#7 jmct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Principal Teacher of Modern Studies, Boroughmuir HS, Edinburgh.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Rare that I would disagree with Lipu, but there is a lot of confusion over "conclusions".

LO1 or part a) exam questions ask you to describe. No conclusions at all are required, and with 17 mins per essay, you do not have the time to write any more than you need to.

LO2 or part b) exam questions require you to draw conclusions or analyse, rather than merely describe.

However, many students write what they think is a conclusion at the end, but it is not in fact a conclusion at all, but a summing up of what they have already written.

What you need to do is look at different points of view. Consider different arguments. Debate issues. Use phrases such as "on the other hand" or "however". If you do so you are drawing conclusions.

#8 Hybrid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Outcome 1's dont need a conclusion. In my own experience if you don't have a lot of background knowledge (i.e. RL examples) its better to just make another point with your time. However, if you have got relevant examples by all means do a conclusion but make sure that you use these to compound your points you have allready made.

Personally I don't use conclusions for OC 1.

For outcome 2. You can either conclude all the way through or just write a para at the end concluding your points. I find the latter is easier. One thing about conclusions in OC2, is that if you have a "discuss" question which doesnt directly ask a question, then try and make your conclusion weigh something up i.e. give good and bad points.

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

According to my teacher you must have a "Developed" Cnoclusion, ie a paragraph summing up your points, making a conclusion and adding in any extra points you have missed out

#10 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Sodium_Ho @ May 2 2006, 09:42 AM) View Post

According to my teacher you must have a "Developed" Cnoclusion, ie a paragraph summing up your points, making a conclusion and adding in any extra points you have missed out

We were told that you should never add any new information into a conclusion.. apparently the examiners will just ignore it if it's not in the main body of the essay. I reckon the examiners are all about 80 years old and won't notice though!

#11 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Adding something new to your conclusion is vital otherwise you are basically repeating yourself. Our teacher told us its in the arrangements. He also showed us his teaching notes.

#12 ScotlandGirl

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(*Kiran* @ May 7 2006, 07:52 PM) View Post

Adding something new to your conclusion is vital otherwise your are basically repeating yourself.

But is that not the point of a conclusion, to sum up everything you've said and make a final statement stating your view e.g. Social and economic inequalities exist in the USA. We're constantly told that any new information should be logically placed into the essay. But different teachers have different opinions, I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users