Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
EXAM 2005 - HSN forum - Page 2

EXAM 2005

45 replies to this topic

#21 786hc786

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ May 30 2005, 06:47 PM)
dont worry for the media quesiton you didnt have to talk about other factors-
you had to explain the ways in which the media is influential and the ways in which it isnt

View Post

dear god thats even worse!
are u sure? wasnt the question to what extent does media influence voting behaviour and it only influences to a certain extent as other fatcors influence voting behaviour?

#22 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:golf, food<br />im amazing and sexy :)

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

No, the whole point of the quesiton is to test your knwoledge on the media
check out Philip Hardings model answers for quesitons
one of his model answers was for a quesiton 'to what extent does the media influential in voting behaviour'?'

The best way to asseess its influence, start of by saying its clearly influential becuase factors like social class, relgion have declined in influence.
then yuor essay should explain ways media is influential, and ways it isnt- both sides of the argument. So TV influential because it gives reliable footage for iraq war, it isnt because ppl made their choice up before eleciton so it reinforces opinion instead of shapes
one paragraph- TV
second paragraph- press
thrid paragraph- spin docters
foruth paragraph- opinion polls

conclusion- has to be balanced

ok!
Thanks
User Banned.

#23 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

So do u definitely only need to write about the ways the media is influential and the ways in which it isn't so....? Im a bit worried cos i never mentioned any other factors that affect voting behaviour!
Please someone reassure me!

#24 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(natalie1062 @ May 30 2005, 06:58 PM)
So do u definitely only need to write about the ways the media is influential and the ways in which it isn't so....?  Im a bit worried cos i never mentioned any other factors that affect voting behaviour!
Please someone reassure me!

View Post

Natalie baby, calm down...its only a commerical. OK on a serious note..
You had to write about the ways media is influential and the ways it isnt, 2 points each argument is what i did with a few examples
press is influential 'sun won it for tories 1992 and it can lampoon personalities like Hague in 2001'
TV can highlight issues etc
spin docters- not influetnial- ppl r cyncical about them etc

i dont see the point in discussing other factors in great detail when the question is about media!! ANSWER the quesiton always, you could go off in a tangent if you dont

cool
User Banned.

#25 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

Lol cheers, i hate talking about an exam after it too much undue stress!

#26 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:17 PM

so if you discussed the role of the media in detail- ways its influential and ways its not
did u do that?
if u did, with a few examples, and analysis
hope for 9 or 10
User Banned.

#27 786hc786

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

right..i've looked at the sqa's answers 2 past papers in 2001 there was an identical question only it says "to what extent does 'social class'(instead of media) influence voting behaviour"
the requirements for this answer are that u shod mention the ways social class influences voting behaviour jst like u shod of mentioned how media did, in todays paper. mention way(s) it dosent influence voting behaviour(although ther is only one example of this. more importantly i didnt mention the ways media didnt affect voting behaviour! yet also the answers say that u shod/cod mention other factors, which i did. also it says "Credit should be given to discussion of specific issues" and importantly 4 me "Credit should be given to reference to factors other than class" So what i can basically deduce frm this is the good old saying.."in modern studies there is no one right answer" the sqa have given a list of things frm wch even if u mention half u should get good marks. If u said more on media and nothing on other factors then ur still safe but the same is for what i said (i hope) where i mentioned the ways media affected voting behaviour but also explained it was to an extent becaus ther are other factors effecting voting behaviour. its kinda like the hist essay on the lib reforms this year where it basically asked to what extent did booth and rowntree contribute to the introduction of the liberal reforms, altho u mention booth and rowntree u also mention the other reasons.

#28 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(786hc786 @ May 30 2005, 07:50 PM)
right..i've looked at the sqa's answers 2 past papers in 2001 there was an identical question only it says "to what extent does 'social class'(instead of media) influence voting behaviour"
the requirements for this answer are that u shod mention the ways social class influences voting behaviour jst like u shod of mentioned how media did, in todays paper. mention way(s) it dosent influence voting behaviour(although ther is only one example of this. more importantly i didnt mention the ways media didnt affect voting behaviour! yet also the answers say that u shod/cod mention other factors, which i did. also it says "Credit should be given to discussion of specific issues" and importantly 4 me "Credit should be given to reference to factors other than class" So what i can basically deduce frm this is the good old saying.."in modern studies there is one right answer" the sqa have given a list of things frm wch even if u mention half u should get good marks. If u said more on media and nothing on other factors then ur still safe but the same is for what i said (i hope) where i mentioned the ways media affected voting behaviour but also explained it was to an extent becaus ther are other factors effecting voting behaviour. its kinda like the hist essay on the lib reforms this year where it basically asked to what extent did booth and rowntree contribute to the introduction of Booth and Rowntree,  altho u mention booth and rowntree u also mention the other reasons.

View Post

Yes True, i included 1 sentence on other factors 'with the declines of factors such as social class, relgiion the elcotrate are becomign more volatile and media is therefore extending its influence. Itis formed from an interaction of other factors'

For history i said Rowntree, Booth's reports on poverty contributed to the need of naitonal efifiecny. It is hard to include one whole paragraph on rowntree/booth - both of whom are very little emphasised in the BBC bitesize website. You needed to disucss other factors like the effect of other poltiical parties, new liberalism etc. 4 paragrapsh shud do the job. In ur conclusion of course i refer back to booth and rowntree

User Banned.

#29 Ruthie P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

ok then...
i did...A4 - electoral system
B6b) - health care - wealth influencing health
C7 - south africa
DME paperII - which was OK....glad foundation hospitals were in the DME instead of Paper1 - at least this way you only had to know small bits of BK as oppsosed to 10 marks worth of essay!!!!
hopefully i've done ok.
media Q - i only wrote about media
and yeh C7b) was a gift: yes SA is a one-party state BUT it is run by the ANC: 3 parties in one!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

#30 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

actually paper one went well thankfully..i was surprised myself.

But paper 2 was a bit confusing too long winded and too much info. I accidently missed out a 2 marker...u know of the 10 marks

and seemed to have chose the "wrong" decision for the DME excercise on income and wealth. I mean everyone else chose to reject it the proposal for the WTD, whereas i was for it. I'm really scared about this as i felt that there were more arguements against than i had for it. I did use a series of BK's but im still not too confident about this paper.

ps.any advice or noters would b extremely useful, please.

I am REALLY REALLY worried

So any replys would really help this confused brain of mine..

#31 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(nina @ May 30 2005, 11:25 PM)

But paper 2 was a bit confusing too long winded and too much info.  I accidently missed out a 2 marker...u know of the 10 marks

and seemed to have chose the "wrong" decision for the DME excercise.  I mean everyone else chose to reject it, whereas i was for it.  I'm really scared about this as i felt that there were more arguements against than i had for it.  I did use a series of BK's but im still not too confident about this paper.

View Post

There is no right answer to the DME- the whole point is to back up an argument, and as u say if u have enough BK which u did and source evidence which is thouguh and about 8 or 9 good points, u shud get full marks
forget bout the exam- dont indulge in morbid post moterms- too late now
watch big brother- its a house full of nutters- more exciting that foundaitons hospitals
User Banned.

#32 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:09 AM

People have mentioned that they found it conusing what the Income and Wealth DME was all about. It instantly registered in my brain what they were looking for, I had no problems.

The task for the income and wealth DME was:

You are an advisor to the Department of Trade and Industry.  You have been asked to perpare a report in which you recommedn or reject the proposal that the government end the right of UK workers to opt out of the European Union Working Time Directive

I thought it was quite obvious from that what the proposal was, but then again everyone performs differently in an Exam hall.

Lets just wait until August and see what happens.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#33 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 31 2005, 07:09 AM)
People have mentioned that they found it conusing what the Income and Wealth DME was all about.  It instantly registered in my brain what they were looking for, I had no problems.

The task for the income and wealth DME was:

You are an advisor to the Department of Trade and Industry.  You have been asked to perpare a report in which you recommedn or reject the proposal that the government end the right of UK workers to opt out of the European Union Working Time Directive

I thought it was quite obvious from that what the proposal was, but then again everyone performs differently in an Exam hall.

Lets just wait until August and see what happens.

View Post

I recommended the right for workers to opt out. They need overtime if they r poor, it would not be good for the already excellent economy, it was be cosly, it would not be politically expedient, it would allow for a nanny state, it wud ruin relations betwee employees and unions whose relationship is crucial, people enjoy their job already, it was be hard to implement (look at govs record on race legislation), it would retrict the individual workers choice, health and safety is more likely to be caused by lack of money or food not long hours

they were my points. then i dealt with my opposed arguments- one of the arguments said a father already has a bad relationship with children - i said look at the parental leave, child support agency, parental pay etc
and another said stress is the main cause of unemployment- it is stasitically lack of skills or education according to the joseph rowntree foundations
and few more

and my conclusion basically said the legislation wud cost too much, it would restrict choice and if Britian are to become leader of the EU in july it would not look good
User Banned.

#34 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Yeah that should be enough to get a decent pass in Paper 2
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#35 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 31 2005, 12:36 PM)

View Post

howcome, is that what u put?

User Banned.

#36 simab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Neopets.com, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix movies. I like watching Casualty, Holby, Eastenders, River City, Home and Away, The OC, Friends, Will &amp; Grace, Big Brother and other reality programmes. I also like a wide range of music accept Jazz and Classical.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

Well I answered electoral systems for political, income and wealth for social and ethnic minorities for international. Paper 2 I found hard but overall I found paper 1 very easy and overall the paper was straightforward so I think I'll get my B! biggrin.gif smile.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif

#37 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(simab @ May 31 2005, 04:32 PM)
Well I answered electoral systems for political, income and wealth for social and ethnic minorities for international.  Paper 2 I found hard but overall I found paper 1 very easy and overall the paper was straightforward so I think I'll get my B! biggrin.gif  smile.gif  cool.gif  rolleyes.gif

View Post

for the media quesiton- did u discuss the role of other factors in DETAIL like social class, relgion, area, age, income level

User Banned.

#38 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ May 31 2005, 01:54 PM)

View Post

View Post

Pretty much, however for background knoweledge I put in stuff about Poverty
Robert Gordon University

------

#39 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 31 2005, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE(TheMesiter @ May 31 2005, 01:54 PM)

View Post

View Post

Pretty much, however for background knoweledge I put in stuff about Poverty

View Post

yeh exactly, for background stuff i put stuff about poverty, how it would drive their further into deprivation, how lone parents and ethnic miniroties are more vulnerable- and a few facts concerning that
it was a sh*t peice of legislation- face the fact, i mean why wud someone wanna limit the working hours to 48 when ppl obviously enjoy their jobs, thats why they work overtime
User Banned.

#40 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(TheMesiter @ May 31 2005, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE(nina @ May 30 2005, 11:25 PM)

But paper 2 was a bit confusing too long winded and too much info.  I accidently missed out a 2 marker...u know of the 10 marks

and seemed to have chose the "wrong" decision for the DME excercise.  I mean everyone else chose to reject it, whereas i was for it.  I'm really scared about this as i felt that there were more arguements against than i had for it.  I did use a series of BK's but im still not too confident about this paper.

View Post

There is no right answer to the DME- the whole point is to back up an argument, and as u say if u have enough BK which u did and source evidence which is thouguh and about 8 or 9 good points, u shud get full marks
forget bout the exam- dont indulge in morbid post moterms- too late now
watch big brother- its a house full of nutters- more exciting that foundaitons hospitals

View Post

i know, but i feel the "arguements against" were more stronger than my arguements for....:S

still REALLY worried....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users