Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
EXAM 2005 - HSN forum

EXAM 2005

45 replies to this topic

#1 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Well all that is really left to say is good luck and male sure you tell us how you find it afterwards tomorrow!

Again Good luck to everyone
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#2 kangaroo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, good luck everyone smile.gif

Here's hoping it's not a stinker of a paper!

#3 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

relax everyone, i know the teach who helps in makin the paper, and he said that things were relaxed this year

#4 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:08 AM

I can't understand why, but I feel slightly more comforted by that!

I've had a day's cramming session. Do I regret it? Most definitely. But could it work, yes. Please, don't ever cram. And if it is the last resort, don't do it for Modern Studies!!!

That being said, lets go for the exam and do our best. Who knows, the paper might be excellent and the bulk of us will come out looking at a decent pass, or at least achieving our targets! Just go in, as level headded as possible, and spend 5 minutes at the start writing down as many examples, etc as possible, or any notes. Takes off a minute fom each essay but it will improve your grade!

#5 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

I thought that the paper was a very good paper and that they had been very fair with the questions.

I did A4 (advantages and disadvantages of FPTP; The extent that the media can influence voting behaviou); B5c (Social and economic causes of unemployemnt) and C12 (affects on food production and distribution of an armed conflict; The extent to which food aid contributes to ffod security).

For paper 1 I think I managed to get about 40/50.

The Income and Wealth DME I found was quite an easy one. I siad that they should keep the opt out clause in Working time Directive.

So what was everyone elses opinions on the paper?
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#6 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

I thought the paper was not bad. Sadly my studying didn't agree with it though, I had focused on Affirmative Action and Immigration, both of which didn't come up. I think I've done badly in the population distribution question but okay on the rest, hopefully.

Health DME was a bit annoying - foundation hospitals! but i don't find the Dme's that difficult so hopefully i did okay, the waiting is the worst.

#7 echoes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

I hated the DME that asked about foundation hospitals...

Grr...

#8 babyblonde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:43 PM

just glad its over biggrin.gif
paper 1 was quite good i think, questions not too tricky but the dme was a bit of a disaster...foundation hospitals? wots that all about?!
o well good luck everyone for any other exams!chemistry 2moz - not good!! sad.gif

#9 kangaroo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

It was okay - not as bad as I'd feared it might be, anyway! Not the best paper I could have hoped for but better than a few of the past few years'. I had thought I'd go for South Africa but ended up opting for ethnic minorities in the US.

I did the income and wealth DME, and that seemed okay too (I also rejected the end of the opt out) I was more pushed for time on paper 2 than paper 1 but still got it finished.

We'll see how it goes!

#10 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

Very good Paper 1. I was shocked to see the FPTP question just so blatant! I was sure it'd be dressed up, but I was expecting/hoping for it. The media one was a dream. I managed the Wealth & Health question well too which was pleasing. The ST12 questions weren't fantastic but I'm hoping for somewhere around 30/50 for the whole paper considering I'll get about 2/10 for the very final ST12 question (I honestly didn't have much of a clue).

The decision making was a bit of a shocker wasn't it! Foundation hospitals. I can honestly say I didn't know what they were, but I added in some BK well enough and made my report both long and informative so here's to hoping for that too!

Considering how I was 15 hours ago, I'm happy with the outcome!

#11 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

The FPTP question was quite obvious, I was expecting something more dressed up as well, but who cares. I think I've got about 40/50 for paper 1 and about 25/30 for paper 2 (enough to get an A lol biggrin.gif, unless they decide to raise the pass mark for an A from 70%)
Robert Gordon University

------

#12 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:golf, food<br />im amazing and sexy :)

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

Alright everyone! Just did m.studies today sad.gif
i finished the booklet for paper 1 but my handwriting is pretty bad, is this a problem>
also for income and wealth DME0 i was against the new legislation passed by the EU because people like lone parents need overtime for higher salaries, it would cost too much, nanny state, we alredy have a good economic position..etc
What shoud i have put in the intro for the DME if i was against the working hours directive?
Thanks
Meister
User Banned.

#13 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Hey all! smile.gif
Congratulations on getting through it smile.gif

I thought overall it was pretty decent paper. The only thing I could think of to make it easier was make the second Decision Making in Central Government essay about the Prime Minister rather than the Cabinet.
I did A4 - FPTP as I had revised it last night, and impact of the media because I did an LO1 timed essay on it yesterday. Fabulous luck in the questions persuaded me to abandon pressure groups even though I got full marks in the prelim on a similar essay.
For Income and Wealth, I did part b) on welfare to work. I'm the only person so far that I've found to have done it, with everyone else going for unemployment, but I revised this the other day as it seemed to come up in past papers and I'm quite happy with it.
I did South Africa for the international question. Considered doing America, but the word "factors" in the first essay put me off, and I couldn't remember figures for the second. The multiparty democracy was a gift as well, but the social and economic inequality required some waffling on my part as I hadn't revised for it.

Regarding the DME, I do Income and Wealth, and thought it was pretty good. The questions were quite easy I thought, and they were all only 2 marks which was great. I said that they should keep the opt out clause, as with most DMEs, because I felt the sources supported that view better rather than from any personal opinion. Actually ran out of time more on this paper than on the first one, which is a very strange thing for me.

Overall, I'm a happy bunny about the paper smile.gif

#14 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:05 PM

what kind of stuff did u put down if u were against the working hours directive?
i put it would stop overtime, good for the economy, cost too much, a few otehr points
think aobut it- with a regulated amount of hours to work per week, overtime does not happen
User Banned.

#15 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:20 PM

I said the opt out clause sheould be kept and put stuff in like Single parent families requiring more money, one of the highets GDP per head in the selected EU countries shown (all of whom had teh WTD in place), low unemployment rates compared to other EU countries with the WTD in place. for my background knowledge I mentioned poverty and how by stopping people working longer it could drive families further into poverty and deprovation, also tipping people over the line into poverty and deprovation.

All in all I was happy with the DME.
Robert Gordon University

------

#16 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

The UK has the opt out clause, doesnt it?
Basically lets get this simple for a section- i voted against the working family directive - that means im for the opt out clause? the UK voted against the WFD i think opt out clause
I said the UK has a good economy (low unemplyoment, high GNP) if you ruined the chances of overtime, the choice for workers- then you ruin the chances of UK staying as leading economy
i said in the introduciton - I am firmly against the new European directive....does that make my choice clear or not?

cheers
User Banned.

#17 kangaroo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

It was the most confusingly worded thing! You had to recommend or reject a proposal for the Government to end the opt out clause of the European Union Working Time Directive (I think!). Could they have made that any more long-winded or brain twisting?! I don't think I was could have been the only person who would have been sitting there half way through the paper going, "eh? If I say that does that mean I'm rejecting it or not..?! How can I put this so it makes any sense?!" All very confusing when you're under time pressure and trying to keep your brain straight in the first place! rolleyes.gif

#18 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(kangaroo @ May 30 2005, 06:21 PM)
It was the most confusingly worded thing! You had to recommend or reject a proposal for the Government to end the opt out clause of the European Union Working Time Directive (I think!). Could they have made that any more long-winded or brain twisting?! I don't think I was could have been the only person who would have been sitting there half way through the paper going, "eh? If I say that does that mean I'm rejecting it or not..?! How can I put this so it makes any sense?!" All very confusing when you're under time pressure and trying to keep your brain straight in the first place!  rolleyes.gif

View Post

I totally agree- 100%
i would be shocked if anyone else did not agree!
the wording lots me lots of marks becuase my introduction was badly worded therefore too, its all partof the knock on effect brother!
User Banned.

#19 786hc786

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

i did A4 but spent too mch time on the FPTP question mad.gif The media question i was annoyed about cause i shod have answered it easily but poor concentration led me to understand the question wrongly (leason learnt=always get enuff sleep) i thot the question was asking me about media ONLY , by the time i was babbling on bout newspapers i realised i had 2 mention other factors so threw in social class, age - said in the past young people voted Labour yet in 2005 many students voted Lib dem or another as a backlash to uni fees, and threw in ethnicity with examples of galloway winning etc. i had left the income and wealth one till the end and quite literally had 4 mins to answer it, answered the one about inequality and said people say there is inequality suffered by ethnic minorities, used the bbc documentry 'the secret policeman' as an example and one other point on it, i'm not sure how many points ur supposed 2 make, surely not 10...ny1 knw? so mayb i mite get 1 or 2 or maybe even 4 marks but it jst depnds whether the examiner thinks u have used gd knowledge or are talkin rubbish. The ethnic minorities one threw me off a bit, didnt expect one on politics, dnt knw what i'l get 4 those but for the political one i was only able 2 talk about african american and hispanic politics barely but i did mention the recent first hispanic mayor. the DME seemed easy but i wish i had at least practiced it, i was running out of time but rejected the calls 2 scrap opt out...tried 2 use bk ground info by saying that"with all this talk of yob culture there is also a rise in teenage pregnancy and some young fathers dont go in2 the yob culture but instead take on responsibilites and start taking jobs and pepl like them need overtime especially as many are from deprived areas" and also immigrants come here looking for opportunities 2 have a better life and their main access 2 that is thru overtime, in which they can work 4 the future and have savings...that might be a load of crap or really gd bk ground knowlege...i really dnt knw! oh yeh and for considering the other pepls arguments i actually said since Britain's economy was strong that worked in favour of source A because it show even with the introduction with of WDP or wateva Britiain was still prosperous so scrapping opt out would not affect economy tht much. but i rebuttled that saying it didnt reflect peoples individual situation and that the opt out system is being abused is un founded, didnt knw what other bk ground knowledge 2 add so jst spraffed how stress wsnt due to long hours as bbc survey show mebtal health within britan should be tackled at an early age (v.poor i knw unsure.gif) and then rounded it up with saying the most important right was the right 2 choose biggrin.gif

Sorry this is a bit long but i am pretty anxious i dnt think it went that well but then again i really dnt knw...its all up 2 god now!!!

#20 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

dont worry for the media quesiton you didnt have to talk about other factors-
you had to explain the ways in which the media is influential and the ways in which it isnt

User Banned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users