Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Time factor - HSN forum

Time factor

10 replies to this topic

#1 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Is anyone having major difficulties writing the essays in the time provided? I attempted to write an essay on affirmative action but, in the 17 minutes, I only managed to write the advantages which is worrying me a lot!

#2 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

How many advantages did you write and how much detail did you go into?
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#3 lanky_182

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Music, gigs, shopping, parties, mates etc

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 29 2005, 01:51 PM)
How many advantages did you write and how much detail did you go into?

View Post

yea exactly... but remember.. you will have a major adrenaline rush tomorrow.. ul b absoloutely fine...
for our prelims we didn't think we would do it in the time provided, but u do get an adrenaline rush, and i even had done my essays in the time and had a few minutes to spare cos i can remember being able to check over all my essays... you will be fine!
good luck! x

#4 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

This is basically all I had time to write...

Affirmative action was set up in 1961 with the principle to help those who were deemed to be disadvantaged in human society and to aid them in accessing the American Dream. It was not just to benefit ethnic minorities but also women and the disabled.
Defenders of AA claim that the 'playing field' is nowhere near level and that granting modest advantages to minorities is only fair, considering white males have benefited for hundreds of years from discrimination. It is said that white males have always had affirmative action in the sense that "Its not what you know, its who you know". It has never been a law but it is claimed that white males have always had the contacts and the connections to give themselves and their friends their career breaks for years. This unofficial AA still goes on. However, the real official AA simply tries to level up the playing field for the excluded.
AA offers a ladder of opportunity and allows minorities to access the American Dream. Many claim that it is unrealistic to expect a Black/Hispanic child at a rough school in a ghetto area to compete on equal terms with a rich white child form the suburbs. They maintain that it is wrong to just take exam results into consideration, some other criteria of achievement should be used as well. AA gives such individuals a better chance in life to succeed as even if they are smart their social background will always leave them disadvantaged to some extent.
AA can be good for the USA as many minority/female executives can be good for business. They may have ideas, expertise and marketing knowledge that white males may lack, e.g. those individuals that grew up in 'the hood' may be better placed to tackle crime in that area.
Furthermore, the policy was defended by Bill Clinton as he stated "Mend it, but don't end it."

.............that is all i had time to write whereas i still had the following disadvantages..................

AA is in essence reverse discrimination. This is the view that two wrongs don't make a right. It accepts that the USA was racist in the past but to substitute one form of discrimination for another is wrong as it simply goes against the American grain.
AA is also against the spirit of the American Dream. The USA is a meritocracy i.e. it should be hard work alone that leads to a good standard of life, not race or gender. It is argued that AA lowers public standards e.g. the most politically correct person gets the job but they may not necessarily be the best one.
It is not only angry white males that are against AA, many members of ethnic minorities are opponents. The all Black Nation of Islam see AA as the 'white mans charity' and argues that minorities can achieve for themselves and that they do not need additional support.
Not only does AA patronise minority groups, it also stigmatises them. It is claimed that the taunt "You only got where you are because you are Black" will follow any successful minority person no matter how qualified or able they are.
Many universities have also moved against the policy and, as a result, racial quotas have been eliminated in universities in California and Texas.
It is true that there are many relevant factors which suggest the introduction of the policy was not necessarily a good move. However, it has to be noted that without the help of AA many ethnic minorities would not have been given the opportunities to prove themselves and succeed in acquiring the American Dream.

Any feedback is appreciated!

#5 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

Very Factual. Although I think you went on slightly too much on how the system came about. A short, snappy introduction is all you need. Just list the advantages and diasdvantages going into some detail about it, but then again not too much.

For an advanatages/disadvantages you are looking for no less than 4 of each and no more than 5 of each, with explanations to get you your 10 marks (or at least that is what I've been taught). If it is an adv/diadv question that is what the marker is wanting to know and not how it came about and the fact that there has been unofficial AA amongst white Males etc etc.

hope that helps and anyone else got anything they want to say
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#6 natalie1062

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, in your opinion what would I score for that essay?

#7 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

From what you wrote before you ran out of time 3 or 4 out of 10. If you had managed to write the rest I would have thought around 8 or 9 out of 10.

That is an opinion, maybe someone else can put in their opinions. If you cut down on your explanation of what Affirmative Action is and the history (find if wer were sittign history, but we're not) of Affirmatiev Actiction; put together with the natural addrenolin rush you get in an exam you should do not too badly in a question like that.
Robert Gordon University

------

#8 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

OK i had this problem with mod studs last year, i always run out of time because of my spectacular book writing techinques but i managed and got a band 1.
So, if it is an advantages disadvantages question then no more than 4 adv n 3 diadv with explanation and examples is more than enough. The questions are out of 10 if possible make only 5 points in each answer. U must put in explanation and examples thoo they are crucial to getting good marks!

#9 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

There is more of a Time issue with paper 2 then there is with paper 1
Robert Gordon University

------

#10 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

Nah! Paper 2 is fine for time cause it takes like about 15 minutes to do the first 10 marks worth of questions then u will have the rest o the time to do the DM.

#11 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Agreed.

I've not even started writing timed essays. I'm more worried about having the knowledge to do the paper. I'm fine on ST4 and ST6, and I need to go onto ST12 now, which should be basic revision and fact learning as I quite liked the topic.

What questions are you looking at tomorrow? I'm expecting a plain and simple FPTP one, or a "Pick one PR method and write about it" question. Not too hard hitting, but the voting behavious is worrying me slightly, as I can't predict much of a question at all.

Healthcare shouldn't have the inequalities however, if the trend is true, we should have something on the Elderly, and if the DME might be about No Smoking or the Elderly, then something concerning PPPP/PFI wouldn't be unexpected.

Politics Of Food I just haven't got a clue about.

The DME I am expecting something on or around Community Care, or No Smoking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users