Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
A Sharing of Notes - HSN forum

A Sharing of Notes

18 replies to this topic

#1 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:50 PM

Computing as we know is just a "learn the facts and spill them out onto the page" exam.
So let's share some notes that'll hopefully come up on Monday.

Fetch Execute Cycle
  • Set up the Address Bus
  • Activate the Read Line on the Control Bus
  • Memory access the relevant location and
  • Places content on Data Bus
  • Decode and Execute instruction

Servers
Peer-to-peer: Each station has the same status on the network. All stations can share files.
Client Server: Some stations are clients, some are servers. Only servers can share files
Print Server: Receives, stores and priotises print jobs from sations and prints them on a shared printer.
Web Server - Stores web pages and sends them to stations on request.
Mail Server - Recieves and stores e-mails and forwards them to their destinations.

Iteration
The process of repeating stages.

Macro
A sequence of instructions which has been stored and can be executed by issuing a single instruction.

My notes cover the new course.

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

Event-Driven Language - one which makes use of objects (eg command boxes). Procedures of code are attached to these objects and are activated by events (eg user clicking a button). They are useful in situations where you don't want a definite start/end point to a program, as the flow of execution lies with the user. eg Visual Basic

Declaritive Language - one which does not specify "how to solve a problem" but specifies the necessary data to solve problems. These are extensively used in AI to build Knowledge Based Systems. eg PROLOG

Procedural Language - these usually are where you specify a set of instructions in a specific order to carry out the task. They usually have a main program which defines the sequence in which sub routines will be called. IE they have definite start/end points. eg COMAL

Scripting Language - these are often designed for use within a particular operating environment. Traditionally found embedded within application packages, allowing scripts(macros) to be written which allow functionality to be added to the package by making features not readily available in the end user menus available.
Mark

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

Features of Good Software :-

Reliablity - ensuring that the finished software does not fail due to design errors.

Portability - the ability of the software to work on other machines other than the one on which it was created. (Often a differently 'compiled' version allows multi-platfrom status).

Often portability is considered important as the more machines the software can work on the bigger the potential market => more money.

Robustness - software which does not fail during execution to due unexpected data input or errors.

Maintainable - the software has been written in such a way that it is easy to update at a later stage. (Factors which promote this are :- Use of meaningful variable names, internal commentary, a modular approach to design, high module independence (ie Have as few parameters passed between modules).

Tools

CASE TOOLS - Computer Aided Software Engineering - packages which help the management of the project - this includes automatically generating such things as flow charts etc, automically generating specifications from requirements.

Module Libraries - Banks of pre-written and pre-tested code which can be re-used in many programs. These (1) speed up development as modules do not require coding (2) Remove need for testing them (3) Should in theory help maintenance. Typical libriary procedures are input validation, linear search etc.

Edited by sparky, 28 May 2005 - 06:54 PM.

Mark

#4 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Items of hardware used to capture a 2D graphic. Explanation of the conversion to digital data.

Digital Camera
The camera has a bank of CCDs which it uses to capture an image digitally and store it onto a miniature disk or Ram in the camera itself.
Original image is captured as a stream or pixel data.
The memory card can be connected directly to the computer for input.

Scanner
A hard copy of the graphic is scanned
Light is reflected onto light sensitve diods that translate the light into a voltage.
An ADC translates each voltage into a digital pixel.
This information is transferred to a software application.

Program Counter - Holds the address in memory of the next instruction in the program.
Instruction Register - Holds the instruction currently being executed
Memory Address Register - Holds the address of the memory location being read from or written to
Memory Data Register - Holds the data being transferred to or from memory

#5 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

Here you go.

Units 1, 2, and Networking Notes

Good Luck everyone, especially the people like me doing Mod St in the morning aswell.

Credit for the powerpoints goes to Martin O'Niell of the Computing Department St Thomas Aquinas Secondary.

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

I don't do H Computing, but those notes look good. I'd just like to point out that, if you want, you can donate your notes to HSN using HSN Contribute.

#7 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'd check those notes out but I don't have powerpoint. Damn. I've got plenty myself though. smile.gif

#8 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

Well i was planning on doing that, but i was going to get my teachers permission first(since they are his) and tweak them a bet and maybe convert them to a website style format, but only if i can be bothered, me, i wont. i will tweak them after the exam then contribute them. I'm going to try and convince him also to give next years Higher the choice of doing Networking or Multimedia, as i feel giving people the choice will encourage them to do better than normal. So that means possibly more notes.

Edit: I have just started the contribute process.

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

@SomethingTypical

if you have OpenOffice i think you can use that to view them

#10 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(SomethingTypical @ May 28 2005, 10:31 PM)
I'd check those notes out but I don't have powerpoint.

You can download a free PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#11 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

I think I've tried using the Power Point viewer (it might've been another one) and it didn't work. Also, I tried Microsoft Power Point (From Microsoft Office), that didn't work either.

EDIT: I just tried it there, it, the Microsoft power point viewer 2003, doesn't work, it said "...Is not a valid win32 application"

#12 Caley-Punjab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

Ye, didn't work for me either. How do we view these presentations?

#13 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

Did you try and uncompress them with WinRAR, or 7zip, or something first?

#14 adilxs

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:45 AM

Power Point viewer works perfect for these files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

Let's get back to sharing notes then shall we.....

Data Representation

• Computers store integers using the Two’s Complement system (better than signed bit as there aren't 2 ways of representing 0 and rules of arithmetic are supported)
•Real numbers are represented using Floating Point
•The range of numbers represented depends on the number of bits used for the exponent, their accuracy on the mantissa (depending on how the bits are divided - or shared out)
•8 bit ASCII is limited to 256 different symbols when representing character sets; Unicode uses 16 bits and can represent many more characters
•Graphics can be represented by Bit maps whose advantages are simplicity and pixel level editing, but whose disadvantages are size and non scalability
• Vector graphics can be used to represent objects – they can be scaled and take up less space, but cannot be edited at pixel level
•The greater the bit depth of a bit mapped graphic, the greater the file size;
•Bitmapped graphics are often compressed – using lossy (losses quality e.g. jpeg) or lossless compression (retains quality)

#16 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

Computer Performance

•Indicators of computer performance include: clock speed, MIPS and FLOPS;
•Benchmark testing is used to measure performance;
•Other factors affecting performance include: data bus width, cache memory and data transfer rates
•Increasing clock speed, memory and storage capacity may improve performance.
•The functions of an Interface are: Data conversion, Voltage conversion, Data storage, transmission of control signals and transmitting status information
•Cache memory is SRAM used to make memory access faster. Write-through cache is where the memory is updated at the same time. Write-back cache is where the memory is not updated until the cache is cleared and is faster than write-through cache
•Virtual memory is where part of the hard disk is used by the processor as if it was RAM

#17 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

"uncompress them with WinRAR, or 7zip"

How do I do that?

#18 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

Search for a program at www.download.com

#19 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

Sorry forgot to say that i recompressed them into an Executable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users