Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2001 - Multiple Choice - Q4 - HSN forum

2001 - Multiple Choice - Q4

2 replies to this topic

#1 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hey, can anyone show me how to do this question please, thanks.

A mixture of sodium bromide and sodium sulphate is known to contain 5 mol of sodium and 2 mol of bromide ions.

How many moles of sulphate ions are present?

A 1.5

B 2.0

C 2.5

D 3.0

The answer is A, btw.

#2 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

Na has a valency of 1, Br has a valency of 1, SO4 a valency of 2 (ignoring the charges)
So:
Na+ + Br- and Na+ + SO4 2-

1 : 1 - - - -1 : 2 (Valencies on this line)

Thus, there's 2 moles of Bromine (Br) so there should be 2 moles of Sodium in Sodium Bromide (valencies are 1:1 ratio).

So in total there are 5 moles of Sodium, 2 used up in Sodium Bromide, which leaves 3 Sodiums in the Sodium Sulphate. Again, use the valency ratio: 1 mole of Sodium REQUIRES 2 moles of Sulphate (So No. of Sulphate is a half of Sodium). Thus a half 3 is 1.5. So 1.5.

I know the wording isn't exactly the best but I'm sure someone will summarise it in a much better way. Hope this helped smile.gif

#3 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 28 2005, 03:42 PM)
Na has a valency of 1, Br has a valency of 1, SO4 a valency of 2 (ignoring the charges)
So:
Na+  +  Br- and  Na+  +  SO4 2-

1    :      1 - - - -1      :        2  (Valencies on this line)

Thus, there's 2 moles of Bromine (Br) so there should be 2 moles of Sodium in Sodium Bromide (valencies are 1:1 ratio).

So in total there are 5 moles of Sodium, 2 used up in Sodium Bromide, which leaves 3 Sodiums in the Sodium Sulphate. Again, use the valency ratio: 1 mole of Sodium REQUIRES 2 moles of Sulphate (So No. of Sulphate is a half of Sodium). Thus a half 3 is 1.5. So 1.5.

I know the wording isn't exactly the best but I'm sure someone will summarise it in a much better way. Hope this helped smile.gif

View Post

Kool, that helped alot thanks. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users