Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Higher Music Instruments - HSN forum

Higher Music Instruments

27 replies to this topic

#1 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

Hey. I'm doing Higher Music next year (Sixth) and I have been playing the Bagpipes for 9 years so that should be no problem for Solo but I cant decide what to do for my other instrument! I did Keyboard for SG Music but never got very good at it. (I got a 1 btw cool.gif ). Anyway can you post your first and second instruments here so I can get some ideas what to do for Higher. Thanks!

I'll Start off

1- Bagpipes
2- Undecided!

#2 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

mine were:

1 - clarinet
2 - voice. i got to quite enjoy singing by the end of 5th year, so much so that i took the advanced higher performing unit in 6th year & used voice as my instrument for it
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#3 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

I did

1st Cello
2nd Keyboard

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

u dont need to do a 2nd instrument

you could do MIDI or sound engineering

assuming your school does them

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

1 - Piano
2 - Euphonium

#6 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

Whats midi/sound engineering? Sounds interesting because i dont have another instrument!

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Midi Sequencing is basically using a computer program to edit a midi track in a exam. Believe me its an absolute joke the easiest thing in the world

Sound is recording tracks like they do in a recording studio lots of fun and really intersting if not a lot of work

#8 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(burno483 @ May 27 2005, 04:50 PM)
Anyway can you post your first and second instruments here so I can get some ideas what to do for Higher. Thanks!

2- Undecided!

View Post

Can you sing?

If you can then I would probably suggest that because in the long run, it's much less work to sing than it is to play an instrument! smile.gif

#9 kitty

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:39 PM

i did clarinet and listening extension, however i think the course may be changing.
if they are still doing it the same as what i did then you could also do extension inventing if that was your thing
if you really dont have another instument then singing is probably the best, or you could try extra hard at keyboard?

#10 Frannyanny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

1st - Piano
2nd - Violin

You can do extensions in listening, inventing etc, but our school did not tell us this and I doubt would have let us being the wonderful people they are!

But if you want to take up a new instrument I would suggest voice. My friend's second instrument was piano until we did our prelim and she was told she was changing it to voice (which is nuts becauses she's very good). Anyway, she had 6 weeks to learn 3 pieces and did so very successfully so if she can in 6 weeks, with no previous singing experience, than almost anyone can through the Higher course!

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

if i rememebr right its 2006-2007 that music is changing

#12 Frannyanny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Yes, as of next year, your first intrument at Higher level has to only be grade 4, same as your second instrument. Its absolutely ridiculous. How that possibly prepares you for university I do not know...blah education authority...disgrace...dumbing down....rant rant

#13 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

My teacher said it used to be like grade 7 or something you needed to be for Higher. I think they really have dumbed it down sad.gif

#14 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

The thing is there are a lot more people who can manage grade 4 than there are who can manage grade 7. Now while grade 7 isn't all that hard in the scheme of things quite a few people have not reached that point by the time they have to do higher which would stop a lot of people from doing the subject.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#15 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

also if they kept it at grade 7 the subject could become more elitest. for the reason werlop said.

#16 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:43 PM

Yes, I'm sure they're doing it to try and make sure music isn't elitist. But I don't think they should make the subject of such low standard that it's worthless. At the end of fourth year, I was sightreading Higher Extension Keyboard pieces perfectly, and much though I would like to be, I'm no Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Speaking of which, the difference in difficulty between instruments is quite nasty. Keyboard and glockenspiel are ridiculously easy, wheras things like piano are damn hard. Euphonium was admittedly not too bad for the most part (as a second instrument, though two out of my three pieces could have done for a first instrument). Dumbing down rolleyes.gif

#17 Frannyanny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

Dumbing down yes woulld make music more accessible, but it makes it next to worthless as a stepping stone for University. For example, an MA with music as one of the subjects requires only a B at higher music. So someone could be going to do a degree at Uni, including music, starting at only grade 4 (as of next year). That doesnt seem right to me

#18 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(super_diva <3! @ May 28 2005, 01:54 PM)
Can you sing?

If you can then I would probably suggest that because in the long run, it's much less work to sing than it is to play an instrument!  smile.gif

View Post

Yeah you can sing!

QUOTE(Acaila @ May 29 2005, 01:43 PM)
Yes, I'm sure they're doing it to try and make sure music isn't elitist.

Speaking of which, the difference in difficulty between instruments is quite nasty.  Keyboard and glockenspiel are ridiculously easy, wheras things like piano are damn hard.  Euphonium was admittedly not too bad for the most part (as a second instrument, though two out of my three pieces could have done for a first instrument).

View Post

I think music is quite elitist but anyway...
Yeah the difference in instruments are emmence! Its way harder to play cello than keyboard cause its really quite difficult to be out of tune on a keyboard unless you hit the wrong key which shouldnt be the cast by the time of the exam. Whereas with cello it can depend on the room you are in or the tuning of the accompaning piano, shifting positions, it can be a 1000 different things.

#19 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(johnmallan @ May 29 2005, 12:12 PM)
also if they kept it at grade 7 the subject could become more elitest.  for the reason werlop said.

View Post

its been grade 5 for quite a while as far as i know - it must have been quite a while since it was grade 7!

QUOTE(Frannyanny @ May 29 2005, 06:25 PM)
Dumbing down yes woulld make music more accessible, but it makes it next to worthless as a stepping stone for University. For example, an MA with music as one of the subjects requires only a B at higher music. So someone could be going to do a degree at Uni, including music, starting at only grade 4 (as of next year). That doesnt seem right to me

View Post

most uni's have their own entry requirements though - generally that you be at least grade 7 on your first instrument
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#20 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

OH bak in the days, when u needed to be Grade 8 level to do higher!.. lol!.. kk.. im not that old lol!, my trumpet teacher said that that was the case when he did his highers! i guess they have brought it down significantly.. (he still made me do grade 7 pieces for my Higher tho!! mad.gif )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users