Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Buffers and Spoolers - HSN forum

Buffers and Spoolers

9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Sports, computers, GIRLS !!!<br /><br />I like doing drama, i want to be a stage manager for a big company

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

I'm Stuck, what it is a buffer and what is a spooler
P.E.T.E.R

#2 Chnz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Buffers
- Another technique of improving system performance.
- Since peripherals operate a slower speeds than the CPU, the buffer helps the CPU compensate for the differences in operating speed.
- The CPU can transfer print data to the printer buffer (not storing it in it's own memory) so the processor can get on with other tasks.
- The buffer is used to collect and store data from a slow transmitting device (e.g. a keyboard) and hold the data there until a sufficient quantity is build up to be passed onto the processor.

Spolling
- Best example for this is the PRINTER
- It is a technique used to transfer data from the processor (CPU) to a slower peripheral). This allows the CPU to get on with it's own tasks.
- Again, like the buffer it is another method of improving system performance.

Notes from"How to Pass Higher Computing"

- Frank Frame & John Mason
- Buy at Amazon.co.uk.

#3 Peter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Sports, computers, GIRLS !!!<br /><br />I like doing drama, i want to be a stage manager for a big company

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE($D$2 @ May 27 2005, 12:49 PM)
Buffers
- Another technique of improving system performance.
- Since peripherals operate a slower speeds than the CPU, the buffer helps the CPU compensate for the differences in operating speed.
- The CPU can transfer print data to the printer buffer (not storing it in it's own memory) so the processor can get on with other tasks.
- The buffer is used to collect and store data from a slow transmitting device (e.g. a keyboard) and hold the data there until a sufficient quantity is build up to be passed onto the processor.

Spolling
- Best example for this is the PRINTER
- It is a technique used to transfer data from the processor (CPU) to a slower peripheral).  This allows the CPU to get on with it's own tasks.
- Again, like the buffer it is another method of improving system performance.

Notes from"How to Pass Higher Computing"

- Buy at Amazon.co.uk.

View Post

Thanks!!!
P.E.T.E.R

#4 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE($D$2 @ May 27 2005, 11:49 AM)

Notes from"How to Pass Higher Computing"[/i]
- Buy at Amazon.co.uk.

View Post

I've got this book and i have to say, it'll be the difference between me getting a C and an A (hopefully tongue.gif) as my teacher has been hopeless this year.

#5 D_n_y

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:erm just the usual mince...

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Would also add that when spooling, data is normally stored in the hard disk untill the printer requests the data.
msn: I_dont_want_ur_junk@hotmail.com
MDunn

#6 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yea, I was going to say that spooling is the temporary storage of input or output data when a peripheral is shared across a network.

#7 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

I still don't really understand the difference, could someone help please?

#8 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

I think all you really need to remember is that: -

•A buffer is memory used to store data in transit between a peripheral and the CPU

Spooling is where data is stored on disk to compensate between the difference in speeds between the processor and the peripheral - so if you're printing something, rather than sending the information to a buffer to deal with it all at once, the data is stored on the hard disc for printing a few seconds later. The way i think of it is that this is why you are able to print say a 10 page document, but close the window and go on to do something else, where is this stored? it's stored on the hard disc - being spooled. Maybe this final definition in italics is wrong, but it's an easy way to remember the correct definition?

#9 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

That helped, thanks!

#10 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts