Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
INFO SYSTEMS EXAM 2005 - HSN forum

INFO SYSTEMS EXAM 2005

39 replies to this topic

#1 adilxs

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

just came back from the exam,

left at just before 3:00pm, most left at 2:30pm

In my opinion, this years exam was SUPER easy, apart from the odd 1 or 2 questions, i.e, question 3c),

"What are the implications in the implemented database if the following amendments are carried out?"

3 marks for that question, nobody really knew how to do that!!!

Please post answers and discuss the exam in this thread!!!!!!

Only one more exam to go them i'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......for 6 days lol.

see ya

tongue.gif

#2 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

I agree, it was uberly easy.

As for that question, I wrote about: Updating records, creating records, and deleting records.

What did you write for the one that asked "Explain how the webserver uses a relational database system efficiently?"
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#3 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

I didn't think it was SUPER easy, in fact, when I was in the exam hall I was thinking... How do I do this? We've not been taught this...

But, once I'd gotten out of the hall (I was last one left in there btw biggrin.gif) I spoke to a couple of friends and my teacher, and it actually seemed allright.

Question 3 c) was a bit wierd, I thought eh? What's that mean? There were a couple of other ones that were a bit strange, can't remember them though, and gave my paper in to the teacher, so don't know what they were.

The hypermedia uestions at the back were erm.... good.

Overall it was probably a fair enough paper smile.gif

I've got half of my exams over, and (you guessed it) half to go, and then im freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for eeeeeeeeeevvvveeeeerrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

For the webserver question I wrote a big paragraph abut how it all works - entity for users info, person puts info in there, then a seperate entity for orders (auctions, whatever they were), the database checks the users ID and password are correct, then updates the database if the bid is higher than the previous one. Probably wrong, but meh, can't do much about it now biggrin.gif

#4 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

the question requiring 2 reasons for using number rather than text was a bit off because it had already used one up

I put so that calculations can be done and so rabge chacks can be carried out (although you can do those with text in access)

other than that it was pretty easy

#5 Lie to Purify

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

Yeh, one or two weird questions, but overall I thought it was pretty easy. Most of the questions were pretty predictable.

I finished the paper by 2.20 and spent 40 mins looking over my answers and staring into space.

#6 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

For that one I wrote that you can't compare text with numbers without converting the text to numbers first.

I also wrote that making it a numeric type would keep the inputs more valid, since text isn't allowed anyway.

#7 Jimmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Can anyone post up their solution to the normalisation in other words question 1c) please?

Also what did everyone write for 4(b) i and ii?

J.

#8 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

Really easy exam. I've deffinately got a B overall, possibly an A, despite only scoring around 15-20/30 on the coursework. Very pleased with myself.

#9 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

I split it into:

Team Details (team name, all that stuff.)
Facility Details (facility details, cost per hour, etc.)
and
Booking details (team name, facility name, date, time, etc.)

PS:

What was question 4b?

#10 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(pseudotoxic @ May 26 2005, 03:10 PM)
I split it into:

Team Details (team name, all that stuff.)
Facility Details (facility details, cost per hour, etc.)
and
Booking details (team name, facility name, date, time, etc.)

View Post

Ditto.

#11 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

Am i the only one who found it quite hard? Compared to my prelim, that was hellish! What did everyone do for one of the first questions where you had to identify the primary keys...did you say a concactenated (sp?) key for the bookings table?

The E/R Diagram confused me too...i struggled with the relationships, did anyone else use 1 to many then many to 1?
You'll never bring me down, cos' i'm so far above you...

#12 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hope they don't raise the pass mark too much, but, we'll see what happens when the results come out.

Oh yeah, ad I did the same for the 1NF thing.

The ER diagram was a bit dodgy too, I couldn't get what the relationships were. I didn't say thre was any concatenated keys in it at all. sad.gif

#13 Jonny-Sensei

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Music, Skateboards, Guitar/Bass, Ice Hockey, Drinking, Darts, Poker, Pool and of course SLEEPING!!!<br /><br />Currently about to take a gap year before reapplying for Medicine. Hoping to study at Aberdeen University :D

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

The exam felt soo simple, I feel it was an insult to my intellengence smile.gif. I finished at 2:30 but the invigilator would not let me out mad.gif

Here are my answers to Section A (For Section B I did Computer Application Software, which not much people seem to do. If there is high enough demand I shall add them later). Answers I am unsure of are in Red dinna say im not good to you now smile.gif

Section A

1)a) Team Details (Team Name...Time)
Facility Booking Details (Facility Name...Duty Staff)

b) Facility Details (Facility Name...Capacity)
Booking Details (Team Name...Duty Staff, Add in Facility Name as a link)

c) Team - Primary Key - Team Name
Facility - Primary Key - Facility Name
Booking - Primary Key - Team Name, Facility Name + Date (Concatenated Key)
Foreign Keys - Team Name, Facility Name

d) Team(1)--can make--(M)Bookings(M)--Can Have--(1)Facility

2)a) Data - Raw facts and figures with no context. "YYZ" (Nice little Rush reference there smile.gif )
Information - Facts and figures put into context. "Flight will depart at 12:15"

b)i) Departure Time. Can be used to decide which time to leave the house in advance to make it to the airport on time.

ii) Departure Time. If Gail is not travelling fast enough to make it on time she must speed up in order to arrive on time

c)i) Paper
ii) Digital

d) Paper - The ticket should be easily accessed as there is no equipment required to get it, although it may get lost in the post.

Digital - To access the information Neil needs equipment - a contemporary computer system with internet access.

3)a) Pony Name - Text - Presence
Gender - Text - Restricted Choice ("Male" or "Female")
Hire Fee - Currency - Range Check (<=50)

b) Calculations can be carried out on numerical data but not textual.
Numerical data can have a range check but not textual.

c)i) Each instance in the Course entity with J Davidson must be manually changed to A Walsh one by one. This can lead to mistakes such as omissions and spelling.

ii) No information about D Dickson can be stored until he begins training riders.

iii) Each instance in the Course entity with Rider ID 1992 must be manually deleted one by one. This can lead to mistakes such as data not being deleted.

d) Relational databases have keys which are foreign updated automatically when the original is updated.

[I never put a second feature sad.gif ]

4)a)i) Information used and created by upper management.
Information affects all the entrants.

ii) Information selected from the source - used by lowest level in the competition (the entrant)

b)i) The search is searching for the words "China" and "Cats", not the phrase "China Cats"

ii) Put China +Cats in quotations to search for exact term - "China Cats"

Add more relevant details to the band with + Operators and more irrelevant details with the - Operators.

iii) Advantage - Because of the wide selection of headings and subheadings, Molly is likely to find information relating to the band "China Cats".

Disadvantage - The directory only holds a certain number of websites, so she may not find specific details about the band.

c) The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act makes the reproduction and distribution of copyrighted materials without the porper consent illegal. Since the video clip is likely to be copyrighted, it is illegal for Molly to include this clip unless she is granted the proper permission.
Roll on ze gap year !!

#14 Jimmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

I *think* I had:

1 Team - Many Bookings - 1 Facility

4b) ii) Make two changes to the search query which will reduce the number of irrelevant results.

It was Chine +Cats -Country -Pets

My answer was change to:

Search "China Cats" in inverted commas, as that is how it works on Google but knowing the idiot SQA markers they won't believe me.

#15 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Bookings(M) -- (1)Teams
(M)
|
|
(1)
Facilities

That's what mine looked like!

To reduce the number of irrelevant results I wrote:

Add "multimedia" and "music" to the search query.

What did you all put for the advantages of the touchscreen?

I said it's easier to use, and no one can steal the mouse! laugh.gif

#16 Scott_Cameron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lesse now...<br /><br />I have an *obsession* over A/V hardware and Tails. Yes, that guy from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. XD I'm also very much into Computing hardware of any kind. ^^ I've been a gamer ever since I got that NES when I was 3 and a half years old, and I'm quite into Art and Anime. ^^

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

I wrote right up until 3:25 ( Left myself a whole 5 minutes of "checkage time". tongue.gif ) ...

But I did write pretty long, detailed answers.

Overall, I think that the exam went very well. I got 29/30 for my coursework, so here's hoping for an A! biggrin.gif

I could understand how some people might find it hard, though ... some questions were indeed a little odd. I guess that conforms with the trend of other exams this year? huh.gif

#17 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(pseudotoxic @ May 26 2005, 04:18 PM)

and no one can steal the mouse! laugh.gif

View Post

LMAO! laugh.gif Double marks should be awarded for that - genius!

#18 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

This thread is making me feel even more confident. I *** up the tickets question a little. I did put Digital down, but I changed it to "internet" for some really, ***, stupid reason.

Still, a B is an excellent result for me.

Anyone else done Expert Systems?

Ally edited: No swearing please.

Edited by ally, 26 May 2005 - 05:14 PM.

#19 *Suz*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

What did everyone put for the hypermedia question about "What 3 things could be included in the hypermedia to enhance interaction" or something along those lines....

I put virtual reality, use of semantic nets and something else i can't remember. Struggled with this question! Actually, come to think of it, i struggled with them all

#20 Scott_Cameron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lesse now...<br /><br />I have an *obsession* over A/V hardware and Tails. Yes, that guy from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. XD I'm also very much into Computing hardware of any kind. ^^ I've been a gamer ever since I got that NES when I was 3 and a half years old, and I'm quite into Art and Anime. ^^

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Anyone else done Expert Systems?

I did. I thought the knowledge base question regarding the jewels was ... uh ... intresting. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users