The SQA

100 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you join a protest outside the SQA's headquarters? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you join a protest outside the SQA's headquarters?

1. You would. (16 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. You wouldn't. (11 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. You'd need to know all of the details and decide at the last minute (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

there's hardly any mistakes!

it is a big organisation and hundreds of people are employed not just for NQ's!

not every1 can get a's so stop complaining.

#42 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 01:52 PM)
not every1 can get a's so stop complaining.

Since when was this about people getting As?

#43 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 24 2004, 12:09 AM)
Yeh I'm sorry but protesting bout the Economics issue at the start of this thread is only part of the problem, the mistakes in papers, the capitalist attitudes, the bad English poetry question this year, the appointment of a new SQA chairman (seen the job advert on S1jobs- they didnt even screen the applications- I had an email asking me to come for and open day/group interview), the shambles with results every year, the devaluing of our highers against English A levels and the lack of appeals and the constant exam changes taking place. We have so many issues to protest about!

Yeah i can only agree. The changing of exams every year is a complete disgrace and people can say what they wasnt but the level of difficulty of the exams is not the same yr in yr out! Also it is ridiculous that all of our grade in the majority of subjects depends on what we do on one day !! We have dun wrk all year and that is totally discounted n then wen we try to appeal they complain that they are gettin to many! If they would sort the system out we wouldnt need to appeal!!

Ok finished ranting now!!! rolleyes.gif

#44 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

the sqa appeals system i think u will find is more than generous

othert exam boards appeals are remarking and checking the script on the day only

#45 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

in fact if u want better marks try spending a little less time on the forum ranting about exams and do that after the exams are finished

#46 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 01:43 PM)
in fact if u want better marks try spending a little less time on the forum ranting about exams and do that after the exams are finished

Dear dear!

Someone's very cynical!

Lighten up!

#47 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

Considering you joined this forum after me and have posted more posts than me i think you will find you spend more time on this then me!
And for your information i have been doin loadsa revision ok!

#48 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 02:43 PM)

You can't spend all your time studying

And you really don't seem to understand the idea behind this protest, it's not because we want better marks. Anyone knows only you can study for an exam. What we want is a fair chance from the SQA, regardless of the paper or subject you're doing. Everyone has the right to have the same opportunity of getting the grade they deserve.

Plus it's all very well saying they take out these questions they've mucked up and don't mark them. But then you're forgetting those candidates who spent a lot of time attempting these impossible questions when that time could have been better spent completing or checking the paper. It's hardly "fair" just because they don't mark it

#49 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:40 PM

There's a lot going on in this thread, and I think now would be a good time for me to recap what's been said on the subject of the SQA.

Lack of support for low-uptake courses
For courses such as Higher Economics, there is little guidance on the standard expected in the exam. Marking Instructions for past papers are confidential, and there is a limited (and expensive) supply of past papers.

Question papers
Several people pointed out mistakes in papers, but there has been disagreement about what questions were wrong, if any. The problem with mistakes in papers is that it may cause a candidate to perform less well (especially if they spend time working on an impossible problem).

There has also been criticism of the way papers do not stick to a set level of difficulty, with some years' papers considered 'hard'. While this probably does not affect grades overall, it may cause people to perform poorer than they might have otherwise.

Specific examples included Higher Info Systems, where the exam has been different each year and the issue even reached the Scottish Parliament, and this year's Higher English paper, with the trend toward more specific poetry questions causing problems for some candidates.

Other issues people have mentioned include:
  • Exam clashes - perhaps unavoidable given the number of exams and the short time period?
  • Results shambles - two years ago now?
  • Devaluing Highers against A Levels - anyone care to explain this?
  • Limited number of appeals - however, the SQA is one of the best at this, with the most generous system
  • Courses resting on one exam - can folios be trusted though?
  • Frequent changes in exam/course structure, eg Higher English
Please continue with this discussion, and perhaps try to explain the reasons behind your criticisms, or why you think the criticism isn't justified.

Enjoy (and be nice tongue.gif )

#50 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (George @ May 24 2004, 04:40 PM)
Exam clashes - perhaps unavoidable given the number of exams and the short time period?

In the past didn't they used to have the exam diet working out like:

Day 1 - Standard Grade Exam
Day 2 - Higher Still Exam
Day 3 - Standard Grade Exam
Day 4 - Higher Still Exam
etc...

That made more sense. Some people I know are doing Higher Information Systems on Thursday afternoon this week, Higher Economics on Friday morning and Higher Physics on Friday afternoon. That's a bit much!

Thanks for the recap George biggrin.gif

#51 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Hey!

As quoted on the SQA website:

"You are entitled to expect a high standard of service from SQA"

Pah. No chance.

Laura xxx

laugh.gif

#52 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:18 PM

sqa do a great job and you should all feel lucky u dont take exams in other boards

#53 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Allan @ May 24 2004, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 02:43 PM)

You can't spend all your time studying

And you really don't seem to understand the idea behind this protest, it's not because we want better marks. Anyone knows only you can study for an exam. What we want is a fair chance from the SQA, regardless of the paper or subject you're doing. Everyone has the right to have the same opportunity of getting the grade they deserve.

Plus it's all very well saying they take out these questions they've mucked up and don't mark them. But then you're forgetting those candidates who spent a lot of time attempting these impossible questions when that time could have been better spent completing or checking the paper. It's hardly "fair" just because they don't mark it

Allan can u refresh my memory: how many questions in your exams have been impossible?

#54 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 05:18 PM)
sqa do a great job and you should all feel lucky u dont take exams in other boards

Sorry.

#55 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (superstar @ May 24 2004, 02:25 PM)

Considering you joined this forum after me and have posted more posts than me i think you will find you spend more time on this then me!
And for your information i have been doin loadsa revision ok!

Just bcos I had more posts doesnt mean to say I've been on longer than you.

Besides I am more than happy with the SQA and am not complaining since I have put in enough effort.

#56 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 05:21 PM)

Just bcos I had more posts doesnt mean to say I've been on longer than you.

Emmm, how's that?

#57 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

Some people dont reply to most posts unlike me. They browse through the forum.

And of course some people type faster than others.

#58 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 05:24 PM)

And of course some people are ignorant.

James - please refrain from posting in this thread. It is for discussion of a protest - not an argument if one will take place or not.

Your views are not welcome here.

So, go away alevelchemi - oops. james1
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#59 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

Please keep on topic - can we have some justified arguments on the topic of the SQA, please smile.gif

#60 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 24 2004, 05:24 PM)

wow... a matter of seconds if you can type quicker.. gee that really matters eh! why dont you "use you brains" and stop being so critical!
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users