Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2001 - Written Paper - Q6(b) - HSN forum

2001 - Written Paper - Q6(b)

6 replies to this topic

#1 david__taylor

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Past Paper 2001 - Section B

Q6(b) What are they on about here with the acidic oxide and basic oxide? I had to guess but got it wrong.
How do you know if it is an acidic oxide or a basic oxide? And what are they?

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:45 AM

Sodium hydroxide is an alkali so aluminium oxide will behave as an acidic oxide to react.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 david__taylor

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

Ooooooh, thanks very much, it better come up on Tuesday now that I understand.

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

Remember METAL OXIDES, ie things like NaOH, or LiOH are basic, ie they will neutralise an acid and produce water in the process.

NON-METAL oxides, eg SO base2.gif or Cl base2.gif O are acidic, ie react to neutralise a base, producing water in the process.

Some oxides, eg Al base2.gif O base3.gif , or water are AMPHOTERIC, that is can behave as an acid OR a base.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#5 david__taylor

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ May 26 2005, 12:10 PM)
Remember METAL OXIDES, ie things like NaOH, or LiOH are basic, ie they will neutralise an acid and produce water in the process.

NON-METAL oxides, eg HCl or HBr are acidic, ie react to neutralise a base, producing water in the process.

Some oxides, eg Al base2.gif O base3.gif , or water are AMPHOTERIC, that is can behave as an acid OR a base.

View Post

How are HCL and HBr non-metal oxides? I know they are non-metals but how are they oxides, they isn't even Oxygen in them?

#6 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to what I was typing, I just thought "acid" and wrote down the first acids which came to my head.

Non-metal oxides are acidid though.

I've corrected my post.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:02 PM

An acidic oxide is an oxide of a non-metal which reacts with a metal to form an acid. Note, however, that they are not themselves acids since they aren't able to act as proton (H+) donors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users