Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Essays/how to revise - HSN forum

Essays/how to revise

17 replies to this topic

#1 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:37 PM

Hi, well i was just wondering how people were revising and if anyone had any model answers that they could post up as its useful to look at other peoples answers.

#2 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

I revise by looking through past papers then I look at the specimen answers and write out the points contained in that for several questions and also use my jotter for the list eg
for Voting systems and behaviour:
FPTP - adv, disadv
Proportional Representation - explaination
Additional Member System - explain then adv disadv
Alternative vote - explain then adv
Social Class - explain
Ethnicity
Tactical
Issue
Media

Let me know what study themes you do and I can try to help. Hope to hear from you soon. Vikki

#3 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

oh thats helpful what u have there. Cheerz Vikki!

I am doing study theme 7: South Africa and Income wealth. Both of which i am really struggling with, predominantly Income and wealth though. I just dont know where to start with that!

Nina

#4 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(nina @ May 26 2005, 05:28 PM)
oh thats helpful what u have there.  Cheerz Vikki!

I am doing study theme 7: South Africa and Income wealth.  Both of which i am really struggling with, predominantly Income and wealth though. I just dont know where to start with that!

Nina

View Post

FINALLY, someone else doing Income and Wealth! I'm getting their slowly, but surley with the topic. I would make sure that you know the causes of Unemployment and Social Exclusion as there is quite a high chance that they will come up, but of course learn the rest of the unit as well.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#5 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

yea ive been looking for someone who is doing income and wealth too!
okay i do know the causes of unemployment and sociall exclusion. At the moment i am struggling with this topic in particular, the rest are all fine. Any tips or advice lipu?

Currently i am going through the UK social Issues book-there is alot of jargon in it. Need to stick to the facts i think like statistics, to quote in paper 2.

Thanks

#6 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

nina,

Do you know about the "Glass Ceiling" as that has come up in the past and from what I can remember my teacher telling me it wasn't done very well, so it again is likley to come up.

If you have the past papers then what to do is look at all the B5 questions and see what has come up and how often it has come up and make sure you know them.

The DME could also be on Race or Gender, so don't forget about them!
Robert Gordon University

------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

#7 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

I'm also doing South Africa but unfortunately i'm doing health. Let me know what you need for SA and i'll do my best or any more for the electoral systems. Glad you found it helpful. Good luck.

#8 kangaroo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

I'm doing both South Africa and Income & Wealth (along with Ethnic Minorities in the US, Decision Making in Central Govt and Govt of Scotland) and I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Blech! I'm dreading Monday!

#9 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(vikki1987 @ May 27 2005, 11:39 AM)
I'm also doing South Africa but unfortunately i'm doing health.  Let me know what you need for SA and i'll do my best or any more for the electoral systems.  Glad you found it helpful.  Good luck.

View Post

im trying to find information on the South African Constitution and any political problems that south africa has faced after the end of apartheid.

thanks

nina

#10 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(lipu @ May 27 2005, 11:18 AM)
nina,

Do you know about the "Glass Ceiling" as that has come up in the past and from what I can remember my teacher telling me it wasn't done very well, so it again is likley to come up.

If you have the past papers then what to do is look at all the B5 questions and see what has come up and how often it has come up and make sure you know them.

The DME could also be on Race or Gender, so don't forget about them!

View Post

im just going over gender at the moment. i have looked through them, can do a few but still not confident about them.

any idea on what the DME is going to be on? im dreading this paper more than the first...sad.gif

nina

#11 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

I'm doing Income and Wealth too! It's a horrible unit sad.gif I didn't write any essays at all in class for it, so I don't really have much to revise. Any help would be much appreciated.

To revise, I take an essay question and then write out bullet points for an answer. Worked for the prelim, so hopefully it will work again smile.gif

#12 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

A good place to look for info is just to search around the BBC news page for recent articles, also government website such as the DWP and so on will help!
Robert Gordon University

------

#13 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

okay im just gonna write what i know here and if anyone recommends any other topics that i should know then, please type it up PLEASE!

Social Exclusion
Unemployment-causes
Poverty-absolute, relative,etc
Income and wealth-not too well though

Thats all really...sad.gif

#14 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

The DME might not be an Income and Wealth one, did you do race and Gender as that is a possible dME along with Health Care (will be a seperate one)
Robert Gordon University

------

#15 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

We've only done income and wealth.

i know race done it a while ago...only gender left now.

anything else guyz?? any help will do!

#16 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

any help soon would b very helpful...guyz....

#17 kangaroo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

any idea on what the DME is going to be on? im dreading this paper more than the first...sad.gif

If I knew I'd tell you! I wish I did know!

The only thing I can think of that you don't have listed (although you probably have covered it within your topcs) is the measures taken to combat these problems. E.g. the NMW and WFTC.

Other than that I can't really help because I suspect I know even less than you! I'm trying to prepare for the exam and not exactly feeling good about it, but eh. It'll be over on Monday, then I never need to think about it again (until August, when I discover I've failed!)

Good luck!

#18 nina

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

haha duznt everyone wish they knew what the questions were!

right thanks for ur help guyz, really appreciated it. Now time to memorize...

Please feel free to add any more pointers up here,

Thanks Again,

Good Luck to everyone,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users