Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Do you have to go to other schools for AH subjects - HSN forum

Do you have to go to other schools for AH subjects

25 replies to this topic

#1 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

In our school, they are only doing 3 Adv Highers: Maths, English & Art. So, for people that want to do Advanced Highers (I want to do Adv Higher Computing) have to go to other schools.

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:04 AM

At my (former) school they do AH Maths, English, Product Design, Geography, History, French, Physics, Chemistry, Art & Design, and Business Management. There are about 1,100 people at the school though, which is quite large I suppose.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:09 AM

There are about 800 people at our school. Alot of people leave school, though, when there were about 120 - 150 people in first year, I think there is only 50 people now, in 5th year.

#4 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

my school was really big - about 1600 people. as far as i know, they did advanced maths (2 classes in my year), physics (2 classes in my year), chemistry (again, 2 classes in my year), biology, history, geography, modern studies, english, PE, music, art, business management, computing, info systems, graphic communication, french, german....& i think thats it. the only subject people went to other schools for was drama at higher and advanced higher - cos our school doesn't have a drama department.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#5 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Well at our school the only advanced higher they do regualarly are:English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics. If you want to do any other one you have to fight to get it and they are really just not interested! If you do get one you dont get a proper teacher! Thts wot happened to Rubberducky with AH German! eh?

#6 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

I tink my school do pretty much AH everything :/
@

#7 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

same i think

if you want to do higher drama you need to go to another school though.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#8 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

My school is doing a lot less AHs than last year. Bit of a pain really because two of the AHs I wanted to do I now can't.

#9 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(superstar @ May 25 2005, 04:13 PM)
Well at our school the only advanced higher they do regualarly are:English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics. If you want to do any other one you have to fight to get it and they are really just not interested! If you do get one you dont get a proper teacher! Thts wot happened to Rubberducky with AH German! eh?

View Post

Thanks Jill. Yep its true, for about half of the year i didnt have a teacher - then they left for another job! So its been a bit of a tough year - totally dreadin the exam! No thanks to the skool!
user posted image

#10 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

At my school (well my old school now) you could do any subject at advanced higher that you could do at higher.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#11 lorna_04

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I had to go to another school to do H economics but in general going to another school to do AH's isnt really an option.

#12 $impl¥_®i¢h

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

It depends on the uptake, in my school there is always a lot of people who want to do AH maths and AH English, but for other subjects there is only a small number of people wanting to do them like 1 or 2. The teachers want a minimim of 8-10 for a class.
This year i had to go to another school to do AH Physics.

`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· $ î m p l y _ ® ï ¢ h `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·

user posted image

#13 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

In our school, it didn't matter how many people wanted to do Advanced Higher Physics, Biology etc They just said they weren't doing them, also next year they won't do them, I think there was 10 or so people that wanted to do Adv Higher Physics.

#14 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

Well in my school some AH's you do yourself, some you get tuaght and i only know of two which you do at a diffrent school, Physics and Music. I know that the school offers, AH's in Computing, Maths, English, Chemistry, Business Management, Art, Graphics, French, Spanish, and probably more.

#15 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

So you mean, you are left in the classroom without a teacher, or you just do them at home, if so, how do you do coursework, tests etc?

#16 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

AH such as sciences and maths, you get the subject timetabled, where as BM, is dependant on how many do it for it to be timetabled. AH Comp you just sit in the class and go through Scholar, and when your ready you will sit NABs, also you get to outsmart the teacher. Thats the best part of computing for me. and i guess other AH are like that.

My teacher really did not like it when i told him you cant storer electricity, only charge or chemical energy, thats was a nice week.

#17 Mr T

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(8139222013 @ May 25 2005, 09:58 AM)
In our school, they are only doing 3 Adv Highers: Maths, English & Art. So, for people that want to do Advanced Highers (I want to do Adv Higher Computing) have to go to other schools.

View Post

Yeh, my school is also only doin sum adv.highers and i really wanted to do adv higher biology. if i go to another school to do it, it will waste a lot of time cos of havin to travel to another school.

#18 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

A girl had to come to our school to do AH French because she was the only person in her school who wanted to do it. And I think our school was the only one in North Lanarkshire running it.

#19 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

My school only does AH Maths, physics and chemistry (this year anyway). I want to take AH English and Geography. For geography I have to go to another school and for English I will have to do that outwith class times. Fortunately my English teacher this year has agreed to teach me in her spare time. Nice isn't she!
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#20 8139222013

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

VERY nice