Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
School Estimates (for higher maths) - HSN forum

School Estimates (for higher maths)

32 replies to this topic

#1 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

just wondering why schools send in estimates for your exams?

I think my maths estimate was a C and i need a B. Im concerned that my estimate will mean SQA will give me a C even if i get a B in the exam!!!

can someone clear this up please??

user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#2 Pooch

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Flying

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

The estimate only comes into play if you score lower than expected, in which case they bump you up to the estimate, if the teacher has been fairly accurate with his/her other estimates.

If you score higher than the estimate it plays no part at all in your grade.

#3 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Pooch @ May 23 2005, 10:32 AM)
The estimate only comes into play if you score lower than expected, in which case they bump you up to the estimate, if the teacher has been fairly accurate with his/her other estimates.

View Post

i thought they can only bump you up if theres an appeal and by looking at prelim evidence etc.

I think im getting the bumping up mixed up with appeals unsure.gif
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#4 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

As far as I know, the school sends an estimate to the SQA and if your results are below this estimate, the SQA will look for evidence to try and bring it up.

#5 Pooch

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Flying

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(tupacshakur @ May 23 2005, 11:40 AM)

View Post

i thought they can only bump you up if theres an appeal and by looking at prelim evidence etc.

View Post

Mmm... my understanding was if the teacher got a certain % of his pupils grades correct that they would automatically jump you up without evidence, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyhow, you can not get bumped down so there's nothing to worry about.

#6 smilie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

yeah
if your teacher estimates 10 people in the class 2 get an A and 7-9 people get it then the SQA will automatically give u a similar grade - usually just below the rest of the group(e.g if everyone was estmated for an A band 1 and you got a C or B they would probably give u an A band 2)
Thats Just what my teachers told me - but i think its only if the school has a good reputation for getting their estimates right.

#7 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Pooch @ May 23 2005, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE(tupacshakur @ May 23 2005, 11:40 AM)

View Post

View Post

Mmm... my understanding was if the teacher got a certain % of his pupils grades correct that they would automatically jump you up without evidence, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyhow, you can not get bumped down so there's nothing to worry about.

View Post

thats exactly what i thought and was told by a teacher!!

#8 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

Yeah apparently it can work in reverse too. If everyone else got a C and you were the only A, guess who's goin down.

#9 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 23 2005, 02:49 PM)
Yeah apparently it can work in reverse too. If everyone else got a C and you were the only A, guess who's goin down.

View Post

nah that cant be true, there would be an outrage if that happened.
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#10 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

I don't think you can get put down, only up as far as i've heard smile.gif Afterall if they put you down, it wouldn't be fair at all huh.gif sad.gif

#11 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 23 2005, 03:49 PM)

View Post

No way can that be true!!! If you do well, you do well, regardless of others who have nothing to do with you

#12 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 23 2005, 02:49 PM)

View Post

That's NOT true. You get what you get on the day. Under certain circumstances, as described in earlier posts, you can be upgraded but not downgraded.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#13 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

So say you just missed a C and were predicted to get a C would you get the grade.

#14 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

Depends how many people in your class got their estimates, if at least a certain number of people were predicted a particular grade (say an A), and at least 60% of those predicted that grade got the grade, I think you would get the grade that you were predicted (assuming you were predicted an A).

This is known as the derived grades procedure and is well documented on the SQA website.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#15 scotland_2004

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

For Higher Modern Studies me and another girl were estimated A2 and two other people were estimated A1 however, on the day me and the other girl ended up getting higher than the two people estimated band 1 who did not get Band 1 in the exam but they still got awarded a band 1.

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

I thought you could only appeal for the letter grade, not the actual band as well. blink.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#17 scotland_2004

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

It wasn't an appeal but our teacher knew our pecentages so she could tell that even though we scored higher and they didnt get a Band 1 they still got awarded one due to estimates.

#18 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:53 PM

Ah, ok. That's not really fair.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#19 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 23 2005, 05:53 PM)
Ah, ok. That's not really fair.

View Post

I disagree. The whole point of this is to make it fair. It recognises the performances of pupils in assessments throughout the year, not just based on one shot on one day. I think you'd be a bit upset if you performed to your best all year and had one 'off day' on the day of your exam.

It also takes into account the teacher's professional judgement of the ability of pupils based on a set of evidence, often more than one assessment.

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#20 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

Some teachers can just put down low estimates though and then if an underestimated candidate messes up on exam day it's not so good.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users