Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How do you revise - HSN forum

How do you revise

18 replies to this topic

#1 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

Basically how do you revise when you can't be bothered. Right now I just can't seem to revise. Any tips?

#2 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

Well I find mind maps usually quite good... and to be honest, it can be kind of fun to.

I usually create a bubble with a certain topic inside it. Then I have lines coming out at all angles with information. Usually I draw pictures beside each point so it means that you only have to learn the pictures to get the information. I did this for the biology essays and it worked like a charm!

#3 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

Thanks! That does sound good.

Just about to test it out now!

#4 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

I have the exact same problem. Before study leave I was able to revise easily, and was in the mood most of the time. But since we've been off I just don't seem to be in the mood anymore. Even when I know its really important because the exams are closer!! ermm.gif

user posted image
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
x..*...x•..•°.Amanda loves Craig•..•°.x...*..x
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`'•.¸)

#5 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

I put on MC Hammer and set my revision to music.

STOP............. History time!

I'm such an embarrassment.
@

#6 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

I go over past papers quite thoroughly so that I can at least attempt every question logically and I write and rewrite notes over and over.

#7 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(SomethingTypical @ May 22 2005, 08:44 PM)
I go over past papers quite thoroughly so that I can at least attempt every question logically and I write and rewrite notes over and over.

View Post

So do I but it get bored too easily! I have managed to study throughout the year but now I just get distracted and loose concentration.

Do you know the feeling when you are reading notes or something but thinking about something completely different??!!

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

I revised:

-Physics by writing equations on post-its and stickin them all ova my room (honest! sad I kno!) about 2 weeks before the exam
-Maths by goin through every past paper available to me, over and over again
-English by goin through close reading passages in the time limit required, done hundreds of them, remembered quotes by doin the same as i did witht he physics equations!
-Admin by reading and reading and reading! just goin through all the notes i built up
-Accounts by covering every past paper question each topic at a time-- eg all the same type of question on one nite n then another type the next nite etc etc

If I ever got into any difficulty in a past paper question, I had a sheet were I would mark down the question and wot it covered eg Maths - Sequences - 2004 AH past paper question 5 (dunno if thats rite -just a sample) and I would refer to my notes, learn it n then retry the question
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

Usually I make write out notes in bullet point form and put them under certain headings. Then I would maybe get someone to teste me on it (I swear my parents could probably have sat my Highers last year!). With some subjects I find that music helps (like psychology) but with chemistry or French I have to have a silent room.

I know some people who can read the notes and learn that way but I just get too distracted, that's why I have to write things out and sometimes say what I've written out loud so that it gets into my head! I must sound like a right nutter after saying that... tongue.gif
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#10 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

The way that works best for me is to try n imagine ur tryina teach someone. Face the mirror and pretend you're the teacher trying to explain stuff to kids. This works particularly well with complex theory like mofsets and lots of UNIT 3. Ok this was exclusively physics.

#11 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:59 PM

i write. & i write. & i write. i write out all my notes as many times as i can, then do past papers. for my highers, i had my room decorated with assorted notes! mainly physics formula, but also all my english quotes, chemistry definitions, & some maths stuff too. i've always found post-its on the bedroom wall to be the most effective way of learning physics formulae!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

I did that last year, dont have the time this year.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#13 coolncleo

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:HAVING FUN

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

yeah that the same with me no time to do it this year, jus put some up but not to the extent i did last year

#14 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

I revise different ways for different subjects. For example, for Chemistry I like to use evans2chemweb.co.uk, for Geography I prefer text books etc.

One thing that I have done for all of my subjects this year when studying is making up a checklist. Basically, using a word processor, typing up headings for all the units in a subject, listing all the stuff in a unit. I then print it off. Go through it sequentially (i.e. study each thing in the order in my sheet) and it gives me a clear, focussed idea of how my studying is coming along.

Here is one I made for maths:

[attachmentid=114]

#15 Gavers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

For me, when I can't be bothered studying, I turn my music up loud or bash about on the drums... Soooooo much fun.... and stress relief so it gets me back in the mood for studying, lol

Somehow, it works for me biggrin.gif

#16 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:57 PM

Mmmm,loud music is a great stress reliever.

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#17 TheMesiter

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:golf, food<br />im amazing and sexy :)

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

20 minutes revise- then a 10 mintue break- then 30 minutes revise- then a 5 minute break- then 20 minutes revise= then a 10 mintue break

and it goes round and round

during my revision i make mindmaps and pretend im a teacher teaching a class the subject- to show that i can remember the information and put to good practise i.e explaining it!
User Banned.

#18 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

I feel music always helps my revision
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#19 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

i don't study when i can't be bothered