Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Exam 2005 - HSN forum

Exam 2005

22 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:40 PM

Yeah - I'm really organised, making this thread the night before the exam!

Basically once you have sat the paper, let us all know how you done and how you found the paper!

#2 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

All in all I thought this paper was very fair - typical standard I'd say!

The induction question was a bit tricky and long but wasn't bad - I didn't understand that limit thing in Q10 or 13

In general, Q13 and 15 were a bit nasty though I made a good stab at them

Overall though the paper was what I expected I'd say

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

Was Ok, I guess. Quite a few tricky questions. Harder than last years IMO.

I messed up the 2nd bit of Q7. blink.gif

#4 sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(Allan @ May 20 2005, 03:32 PM)
All in all I thought this paper was very fair - typical standard I'd say!

The induction question was a bit tricky and long but wasn't bad - I didn't understand that limit thing in Q10 or 13

In general, Q13 and 15 were a bit nasty though I made a good stab at them

Overall though the paper was what I expected I'd say

View Post

I sat the paper and I'm now in floods of tears. That was the harest exam I've sat in the whole of my life. Q15 and Q13 were both really hard. By the time I got to the last page panic set in and basically I became flustered

I just hope by some mirical I manage to scrap an A.

#5 Acaila

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

The later parts of the Maclaurin expansion confused me a bit, putting greek letters in nice easy gaussian elimation - nasty, matrices stuff was fair. Nobody that I've spoke to managed to do the vectors stuff. I got really weird answers for question 11. I thought the second part of 13 was a bit weird, and thought 15 was a pretty good question smile.gif Even if I did forget how to integrate by that stage of the paper.
Overall, reasonable as far as AH papers go

(Limit in question 10 was quite easy I though incidentally)

#6 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

I found it not too bad overall, i managed to put something down for every question. Almost went mad doing 12 c though, i was so close to getting the answer but seen no possible way of further simplifying to get the correct form. Our teacher had done a set of solutions whilst we done the exam and i found out i had used the wrong subsitutions for it.

Anyhow thats it done now, no point in dwelling on it.
Roll on Advanced Physics on tuesday! biggrin.gif

#7 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:54 PM

i thought the paper was horrendous! i was almost in floods of tears as well lol i couldn't finish quite a few questions, which i'm annoyed at especially the induction one. mmm i just hope i can pass as i need maths! couldn't do any of the limits either , or the sum one, oh god i reallly have failed this!

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

I thought the questions earlier on in the paper were harder than the last questions. blink.gif

Q1 - Pretty easy. Standard differentiation.

Q2 - Was OK. Although it threw me for a bit.

Q3 - I think I got it, not sure though. (did you just have to multiply the first answer by the second? )

Q4 - Funnily enough.. thought it was pretty tricky, but other people said it was easy lol.

Q5 - Standard Integration.

Q6 - That threw me for a bit. Did anyone else have that greek letter in their answers for x and y?

Q7 - Messed up the 2nd bit.

Q8 - Got this one, I think.

Q9 - Took a while, and I forgot what the z(bar) thing was. It's a conjugate isn't it?

Q10 - Got this wrong I think. Didn't really understand it.

The rest were pretty alright IMO.

#9 Kenny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

The first time I worked my way through the paper, was dreading it. But I kept going though it over and over and I eventually got all the quesitosn done, apart fomr the induction one :@., Got really stuck on it. The vector quesitons I found tricky, because I couldn't remember how to do it sad.gif. But I think I got there in the end.I was very happy when i got 12c) though, took ages, but I got there.

The rest of it was soso, wasn't easy, but could have been a lot worse!

#10 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

I think I've scraped a pass. Parts of it were fine (Lovely 10 marks for Q14 biggrin.gif) but some bits were rather hard. Hopefully we've all done enough to pass smile.gif

#11 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

i'll agree about q14! that was an absolute gift! possibly the only 10 makrs i got in ther paper

#12 sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(Scott @ May 20 2005, 04:09 PM)
I think I've scraped a pass. Parts of it were fine (Lovely 10 marks for Q14 biggrin.gif) but some bits were rather hard. Hopefully we've all done enough to pass smile.gif

View Post

Do any of you guys know, if there's any chance we can get a set of solutions posted on here. Rough ones, I'm not expecting the SQA's marking scheme or anything. But it will be nice to try and gauge how you've done.

#13 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Mmm pretty sure that would be against the rules

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#14 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

Didnt Werlop do that with last years Higher paper?
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

Yeah I think it's OK to put solutions up. Just that the questions shouldn't be posted.

#16 hippo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

How is that against the rules? They did that last year with subjects
Can anyone remember what the got for the first bit in question 14?

#17 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(hippo @ May 20 2005, 05:35 PM)
How is that against the rules? They did that last year with subjects

View Post

It's against the rules to post the actual paper up with questions. Last year only the solutions were given.

Posting answers/solutions is fine though.

#18 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:32 PM

I thought the paper was not bad. I think it was slightly more demanding than the 2004 paper!

Hopefully I've picked up an A, think I mucked up part 2 of the maclaurin series, but hopefully I've continued my error, and will get the last part for 3 marks smile.gif

Overall, depending on the pass mark it may be an A. No lower than a B!
Mark

#19 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

lol I'm still unsure about it.. will have to wait and see if anyone puts up solutions.

Last year, though I was way more happy with the exam.

#20 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

I have to say I went paranoid in the first five minutes. I dont know if anyone had the same problem, but ALL the questions were cluttered together in the same bit! But overall, the paper was OK. The vector question, I had no clue how to do.
IPB Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users