Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The 2004 Maths Exam - HSN forum - Page 2

The 2004 Maths Exam

67 replies to this topic

#21 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (aaa @ May 21 2004, 02:54 PM)

i also think that paper 2 was easier!!

[QUOTE]

Finally!

I'm glad that there are some people who think along the same lines as me and thought paper two was easier. I've just been goin through the papers with some of my friends and realised I've made some of the daftest mistakes ever, like not realising I was supposed to integrate for that huuuuge 8 marker in paper 2. My teacher wrote that aswell!!! Ah well, here comes another year of Higher maths. Yip. Ee.

Lol!

Laura xxx

blink.gif

#22 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:25 PM

Hey

I know I've just finished rambling on, but here goes again! Did anyone else think it was incredibly cruel giving us huge 7 and 8 mark questions? I was assured that the most marks awarded to a question would be 5 (or at the very VERY most 6 and those would only be for the big differentiation question with the table of nature etc etc.) It was also doubly cruel that they left them right until the very end of each paper. Anyone up for lynching the SQA? They seem determined to destroy us this year with all the aggro I've been hearing from other people. In fact, it may be time to start complaining again...

Laura xxx

#23 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (little_minx @ May 21 2004, 03:25 PM)
Anyone up for lynching the SQA? They seem determined to destroy us this year with all the aggro I've been hearing from other people. In fact, it may be time to start complaining again...

Laura xxx

Yep.

I say we petition them.

Let's all send letters on exactly the same day. E-Mails too.

Let's give them work to do.

lol. Who's up for a protest outside the SQA headquarters? I'm certainly game for that if others will. Oh the fun!! biggrin.gif
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#24 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Martin @ May 21 2004, 03:29 PM)
Yep.

I say we petition them.

lol. Who's up for a protest outside the SQA headquarters? I'm certainly game for that if others will. Oh the fun!! biggrin.gif

Lol

That sounds like a plan and a half! Bombarding them with complaints might actually force them to think about the exams they're producing for next year!

Laura xxx

rolleyes.gif

#25 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (little_minx @ May 21 2004, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Martin @ May 21 2004, 03:29 PM)
Yep.

I say we petition them.

lol. Who's up for a protest outside the SQA headquarters? I'm certainly game for that if others will. Oh the fun!!  biggrin.gif

Lol

That sounds like a plan and a half! Bombarding them with complaints might actually force them to think about the exams they're producing for next year!

Laura xxx

rolleyes.gif

Or not.................... biggrin.gif cool.gif

#26 catm82

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:58 PM

well, i thought that the exam was hard. We had a revision class last night (I did maths through evening classes) and I was lucky that some things we did last night came up in the exam. For a lot of questions, I just did not have a clue how to get the answer, so I just did what I could with what they gave us int he question.
I also thought that paper 2 was easier, but I think thats because recently I have been doing a lot of past paper 2's... i want my mark now!
I think I probably failed it, or got a C...

#27 Ry4n

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:14 PM

The exam, I felt, was much easier than any of the other past papers I have done, perhaps that was because I knew this was the big one lol

There is no point in worrying about what mark you have achieved. The results are months away tongue.gif

#28 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

There have been a few 7 mark questions in the past so it should not be too surprising.

Also the marks had been put up to 130 this year so they had to add them somewhere.

#29 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

hey i think that maths wasnt too bad!! Better than i thot anyway. I do feel that the papers were about the same hardness but if i had to chose i would say paper 2 was harder!! I think overall i was ok but i think the 7 n 8 marks qus were a bit much!

#30 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:36 PM

Im hopin that i done ok! What school does your cousin go to in hamilton? Thats where i live and our school had problems with the maths teaching all year,was in the paper and everythin! All my friends thought paper 2 was easier aswell and so did i. There was only a few in our school who thought paper 1 was easier. There was a couple of tricky questions in paper 2,for exmaple the last 1! And the 7 marker in paper 1....anyone know what that was about?! Overall,i feel better than I though I would anyway!

#31 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

Was I the only person who panicked at Q1 in paper 1 - of course it wasn't all that bad I just sort of got all muddled. Overall it was OK, I got quite a few wrong but I have done the same thing as other people so it's probably one mistake being carried through which shouldn't cost too many marks. I got an A in the prelim (on the cut-off) and am really hoping for an A or B (I want to do AH as well!).
As for Paper 1 Vs Paper 2 it's hard to say - the forst page of paper2 was very easy the rest was mixed and paper 1 was a bit mixed too.

#32 Carlo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (russellelly @ May 21 2004, 05:30 PM)
Was I the only person who panicked at Q1 in paper 1 - of course it wasn't all that bad I just sort of got all muddled. Overall it was OK, I got quite a few wrong but I have done the same thing as other people so it's probably one mistake being carried through which shouldn't cost too many marks. I got an A in the prelim (on the cut-off) and am really hoping for an A or B (I want to do AH as well!).
As for Paper 1 Vs Paper 2 it's hard to say - the forst page of paper2 was very easy the rest was mixed and paper 1 was a bit mixed too.

yeh lol me too - a spent ages trying 2 work out how 2 do it!!

I found paper 2 a lot easier an paper 1 was hard for the simple reason that I couldnt do half the stuff without a calculator!

#33 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (russellelly @ May 21 2004, 05:30 PM)
Was I the only person who panicked at Q1 in paper 1 - of course it wasn't all that bad I just sort of got all muddled.

hey lol so did i! i wrote like a page of workin n still couldnt get the answer so i just moved on. At the end i went back to it n redone it after the rest of the questions, so i put a big line through the whole fisrt page of my answer booklet n wrote where question one was. Managed to get it in the end tho!! lol

user posted image

#34 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

well I didnt get the 7 marker in the paper 1
got muddled up on the last page of paper2
think it was ok, at lest I should get a pass tongue.gif

#35 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

You know the SQA hate our year (with the exception of 6th years)
they messed up our credit maths last year and now they give us massive marks so when we couldnt do the question it immediatly pulled us down a grade

i'm up for storming the Dalkeith office wink.gif

#36 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:18 AM

[COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]
QUOTE (30111987 @ May 22 2004, 09:33 AM)
the SQA hate our year

Damn right.

In Standard Grade English they gave a us a close reading paper on dodos. Dodos, wtf? I spent the entire exam trying not to pee myself with laughter. Yes, I'm very easily amused and find everything funny.

Dodos are far taller and more slender than what they are usually portrayed as being.

Dodos. Hahahaha.
@

#37 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:48 AM

Why are you all complaining about the large mark questions, they were not exactly hard. Also, if you looked at the marking scheme for last year at all you would have realised that they were putting the marks up to 130, it even gave examples of where extra marks would have come from.

Pretty much everyone in my school (Bearsden Academy) got these "hard" questions.

Our techers agree that that these were the easiest ever higher papers.

Mind you, our class did come in the top 10 in the Mathematiques sans frontiers competition.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#38 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

hmm
my maths teacher co wrote the leading textbokk and revision book tongue.gif
last year more than half his class got As

still dont like the sqa though...

#39 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

Then there was the maths paper too - that was a real cock up.

I actually watched a documentary on the dodo the night before - I was quite happy when I saw the close reading.

The higher paper did look easy - I just couldn't do it. At one point I forgot the difference between differentiating and integrating.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 22 May 2004 - 12:24 PM

I know this is off topic but since it's been brought up I was really pleased with the SG Credit English paper last year, thought it was quite easy and managed to finish it with a couple of minutes to spare after only getting 2/3 of the way through practice papers before and scraping 2s.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users